Sciatica Support Group

Sciatica is a term meaning pain that originates from compression of the sciatic nerve, the longest and largest nerve in the body. If the sciatic nerve is pinched or compressed (perhaps by a bulging disc in the low back) a patient may experience leg pain--the classic symptom of sciatica.

0 Online
0 Online
  • My husband has been in constant pain in his leg (deep buttock/hip socket) area and lumbar (although not so much lumbar anymore) for about 9 months. He has tried physical therapy, chiropractor, structural masseuse, daily stretching and continuous use of anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen and naproxen sodium) all to no avail.We've been doing a lot of research and the condition that sounds EXACTLY like...
  • marie32

No help

Hi all my pain that bad I can walk far yes am over weight but that's because I can't move far this pain is to much the doc won't help me just said pain killers lose weight but am trying am under weight management can anyone help me to stop this pain thankyou hugs
  • itney

care aid with sciatica

I thought I had pulled a muscle, but turns out it's Sciatica, I worked three weeks through the pain...I'm a care aid and work in complex care, so a lot of heavy work, pushing and pulling, bending etc. So far I have missed one week of work, and will find out tomorrow if I can go back, but I"m still in a lot of pain, like I can't bend over or get into a car without it spazing. I'm having a hard...
  • youngandinpain

New to sciatica

I just started experiencing sciatic pain in about 3 weeks ago. After about a week I thought it was getting better, but it has definitely gotten worse and now I experience periods of numbness (especially in my butt and back of leg) between the pain. The pain in my back is dull but constant. I'm only 21, and I do yoga regularly. I've been told that sciatica can go away with time, and that the yoga...
  • So I went to my PM doctor yesterday, and also met with the Medtronic rep for my device... had to do some reprogramming because it was stimulating the front of my leg, not the back side. So I was told by both my dr & medtronic man... that where the leeds were placed, is where my scoliosis apexes... it's a bad curvature, but where the leeds needed to be. SO having said that, I will have to get...
  • I had sciatica almost a yr ago and it went away. Now is back and I am in horrific pain. I have had it about 2 months this time. I also have low back pain. I did have an epidural, steroid shot and it didn't help. I will be seeing my Dr. but it is slow to get an appt. What can you do at home to help this? I cannot go on in this kind of pain. I cannot even finish washing dishes let alone clean my...
  • starynight19

MS and Sciatica

Hello,I have MS. Dx 2008Have struggled with it but fighting it all the way. Recently I have had more trouble walking. I couldn't for the life of me figure out if it was MS or something else. With MS...you tend too, as do Neuros, to blame whatever is wrong on horrible MS ( on top of which I have Ovarian Cancer but in remission-early catch).So....I found the only thing that helps this pain that is...
  • I had a microdiscectomy in August 2015, after several months of pain, followed by muscle weakness, numbness, & loss of foot mobility. Surgery went great and for two months I was improving every week. Now, the last two months I've been having a return of the piraformis pain and leg pain, it's at it's worst during my menstrual cycle. I'm worried I've re-herniated the disc. Has anyone done this?...
  • Hi!My sciatica developed after I tore my hamstring tendon, and the sciatic nerve is compressed at the performs muscle, not from the back (L5 - S1). I think after my hamstring injury my body tried compensating and as a result I developed performs syndrome/sciatica. I have had this problem for 3+ years and it has seriously affected my life. Imaging (ultrasound, CT and MRI show that my proximal...
  • DaniRae8808

Helpful Hints?

Hi All! I have suffered off and on with sciatica for years. After my 3rd child was born, I was very overweight and rather sedentary and I suffered horribly for about 6 months. It then resolved and hasn't been back... until this weekend. Since that time, I have lots tons of weight, I workout 5-6 days per week (I am a part time fitness instructor) and stay active.So when it started Saturday, I...
  • Hi,My mother woke up with sciatica about 10 days ago and is in terrible pain when she walks. I took her to the doctor and they gave her a cortisone shot which did nothing. They also took an x-ray which showed no herniated disk and then they gave her a Medrol prednisone pack and two types of painkillers (tylenol with codeine and Vicodin) all which have done nothing! She has been so tired from the...
  • clara2015

Laser therapy???

I started chiropractic treatments a few weeks ago to treat my bulging disk sciatica consisting of spinal manipulation, TENS, and spinal decompression table. I have had 7 sessions so far and found a little relief, nothing significant. My chiro now feels I need hot laser therapy to reduce the pain and inflammation in my back and speed up my progress. He has a custom made class IV hot laser (no name...
  • Hi All,Just wanted to share with you a great stretching routine that we use at our practice, put together by one of our patients - a senior martial arts practitioner.The stretches are a very simple way to reduce immediate tension that leads to a build up of localised strain and nerve related aches and pain.Please do share and comment as I would like to encourage more videos to be created like...
  • enigmaticloner

Is this sciatica?

I have scoliosis and I'm sure that's part of the reason I have the pain I do but I also have pain that goes down to my hip and down to my thighs at times. When I've mentioned my pain to a doctor or anything they've never mentioned it but I am curious as to others who have on their opinion.
  • violetmist

Wow... slow group

Sorry to see this group is not so active. I would think many more people would have sciatica.