Rheumatoid Arthritis Support Group
Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, inflammatory, multisystem, autoimmune disorder. It is a disabling and painful condition which can lead to substantial loss of mobility due to pain and joint destruction. The disease is also systemic in that it often also affects many extra-articular tissues throughout the body including the skin, blood vessels, heart, lungs, and...
I was 25 when I got Ra and I'm now 64. I married and worked and had kids and my Ra never stopped me from doing anything I really wanted to do and that was before the good drugs they now have. These new drugs can actually put you into remission.but you have to be at a certain level of the disease process to qualify for them. You may not be there, yet. Ra is a waiting game.
I was just reading the risk factors for Ra and the older you are when you get it, the worse it will be so being 17 is actually a good thing. One time when getting sick at a young age is good!
Sorry you have to join our group at your age but we are here for support and knowledge so.....take one DS group as needed...or PRN.
gentle hugs..........Jen
Jen, I've only been taking OTC (the naproxen the doctor suggested and occasionally Tylenol for arthritis when it gets harder to stand the pain). I feel the Tylenol helps somewhat.
I've had the same experience with one of my teachers and my mom. He swears by the "paleo diet" and was telling me about how I have to stop eating tomatoes, potatoes, and other foods. It honestly just left me more confused. Also, my mom swears every time I eat red meat, my hands get really swollen. I haven't really noticed that any food have any major impact
How great that it didn't prevent you from doing what you wanted. Do you recommend working the body parts that are swollen? I read online that overworking them can cause you to inflict or progress the damage being done.
I appreciate your feedback. It helps ease me a bit since I panic to think that I'll have to spend the rest of my life with this pain. I mean I haven't even graduated high school yet.... Thank you for answering my post.
alto, yeah I'm hoping I'll hear back from them soon. My mom has been constantly calling them to check up how it's going, with no answer, until today. Hopefully it doesn't take too long.
My rheumatologist was really really nice and helpful. She immediately forwarded me to another insurance company that's specifically for minors with arthritis.
When I was first diagnosed, my teacher (mentioned above) suggested I see another doctor for a second opinion, but I don't really understand why. What do you think?
Thank you all for your feedback, I really do appreciate it.
I'm glad you like your rheumatologist. You are embarking on a long-term relationship there and having someone you trust, respect, and even like is a good thing.
How much to use swollen joints is pretty individual. For me, not moving around and exercising is the worst- overdoing is less hurtful than underdoing it. Walking is usually better than running, as it's lower impact. Exercising in a warm-water therapy pool is a favorite of lots, although I have never had access to this myself.
* If anyone suggests eating raisins soaked in gin as a cure for RA, you have our collective permission to throw things at them.
I really feel for you being only 17 but, as Jen says, it may work in your favour. Your mum sounds supportive and I'm sure your teacher means well re Paleo Diet. Two of my three daughters keep asking me to try Paleo and keep sending me articles. Lol My Rheumatologist says it's good to eat certain fish up to three times a week grilled, not battered, of course). For some "no nightshade vegetables" works, for most no difference.
Exercising when you have a flare/pain is very individual. Walking or swimming in a heated pool is low impact on joints but you have to see what works for you personally.
Re your mum suggesting swelling when you eat red meat, try a couple of weeks red-meat free and see what happens.
Keep a short record daily of what's hurting, swelling and how long it lasts, what meds you take to show your Rheumy and also take photos of any joints which are red and swollen to show her, too.
RA is an incredible learning process.
My worst times are 7 days a week every morning. I get up and feel nauseous every morning (even before the meds) and generally ill. But by 9 AM by the time I've done some chores and had a really hot shower I am good to go for the rest of the day....until about 7-8 PM then I get very sleepy and tired. I think finding a good line between staying active but not too active works for me. If I overdo it on the weekend I pay for it on Monday.