Rheumatoid Arthritis Support Group

Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, inflammatory, multisystem, autoimmune disorder. It is a disabling and painful condition which can lead to substantial loss of mobility due to pain and joint destruction. The disease is also systemic in that it often also affects many extra-articular tissues throughout the body including the skin, blood vessels, heart, lungs, and muscles... The symptoms that distinguish rheumatoid arthritis from other forms of arthritis are inflammation and soft-tissue swelling of many joints at the same time (polyarthritis). The joints are usually affected initially asymmetrically and then in a symmetrical fashion as the disease progresses. The pain generally improves with use of the affected joints, and there is...

0 Online
  • californialynn

Diet 2017

Who wants to be my diet buddy?It's an honor system diet. Every Monday you weigh yourself and check in here and tell us whether you lost one pound that week. Don't need to know what you weigh.Who's going to join me?In this thread we'll talk about WHAT you're doing to reduce weight. Cutting carbs or exercise more or giving up a certain food.Starting Monday the 9th, weigh yourself. Tell us how you...
  • buddhacat

At the risk of offending...

I just saw a closed post in the DS Members group about foul language... here?  In this forum?  I didn't see anything, so it must have been removed.  Damn, I wanted to see evidence that someone is alive and willing to use the vernacular, as it was intended.  I'm not in favor of insults, if that was the occasion for this unspeakable language, but I have no problem with people using language...
  • Syc405

New to RA

I was diagnosed with RA in Oct of 2016.  I was diagnosed by a local Rheumotologist. The bank of blood work was done along with a DEXA. RF factor at 58. No xrays taken. Initially I was taking 15 mg predsione daily for a month. Weaned down in Nov, but the pain returned quickly.My symptoms are extreme muschle pain in my shoulders, upper arms, thighs, hips and low back. I have minimal joint pain in...
  • Brownsfan

Nodules on index finger?

Just noticed thursday on my index finger my knuckle has a small pea sized bump. Is this a nodule? I was just diagnosed in October last year, I am taking 6 methotrexate, 2 Folic Acid, I see my rheumy the 25 of this month, I will start Enbrel then I am assuming.  Should I be worried? concerned?
  • nickiraeleen

Problems Typing

My hands can’t pull it together for the new semester of college. I am ready having to do a lot of typing and writing and my hands just can’t keep up. A full hour of non-stop typing leads to at least an hour and a half of having to rest them, which isn’t going to work when school starts. I found that taping hot pad to my hands helps them (I have no idea why, but it works), but for the next...
  • SusieG

Glucosamine

Do any of you continue to take glucosamine supplements after diagnosis and being put on MTX or other med?
  • katie

Humira patients need.....patience

Perhaps this will be helpful to anyone who is a month or two behind me - and bear in mind two things, please.  One, I will sound a bit frustrated here, but I'm genuinely not; I'm stuck in the system now, and this is how systems work.  And two, I'm in the US, and I have reasonably good health insurance.  My experience may not apply across the board.I got a scrip for Humira on December 29, and I...
  • PinkCat68

Starting Humira

Quick Question. I am starting Humira next week. I was just wondering what change did you have or if any change in your amount of methotrexate that you were taking when starting this medication? I am currently on 6 methotrexate once a week. Also I still take prednisone daily. Can I hope to stop this medication soon? 
  • oceans11

Flare ups from spouse's cold/flu??

I know this sounds weird but it's happened now twice. I understand that it could all be coincidence & I don't really expect much input but I had to ask.So twice now in the past 2 years my wife came down with the flu or bad cold & I never contracted it (luckily) but I ended up getting a moderate RA flare. I'm experiencing a flare up the past 2 days & she just got over her cold about 3-4 days ago.I...
  • Mommagigi74

Recently Diagnosed and Struggling

I just started taking Plaquenil 200mg 2x daily in December.  The doc wanted to start me on Methotexate instead, but could tell I was freaked out at the thiught of daily meds for the rest of my life.  Anyway,he said it would take at least 3 months to see if the Plaquenil is effective or if he needa to switch me to MTX.  I'm pretty uncomfortable and had to start a round of prednisone after a...
  • nonightshades2

Hey Newbies....

Ask.  Ask anything on here that is concerning to you.  Don't be shy.  Subject doesn't matter, from anxiety to sex, bowel movements (or lack there of) to meds and side effects.  Dr's, insurance, whatever.  People will answer you here....if they don't then ask again.  Responses are usually kind and direct but always keep in mind that pain is a big part of RA so if someone snaps at you just...
  • gdsonn2

Pregnant with RA

Hello all!  Just wanting to hear from others out there who experienced pregnancy with RA.  I'm in my second trimester and still exhausted and wondering if it's because of the RA, or I'm a big wimp :)  Also curious if anyone had the terrible rebound of RA once the baby is born that I've read about . . .Thanks, as always, for the input!
  • CPOLLY

Experienced RA advise please -new diagnosed+scared

hello RA communitymy statslive in Canada female325 kids (just gave birth) good health/ no other issues minus anxiety  (until now) in the past has bouts a few times a year lasting for max a week of things like a really sore finger/ knuckle or hip or shoulder. They would come on suddenly and disappear without a trace just as sudden. I recently gave birth to twins (nov 1) and just this past 2...
  • ThisToo

Orencia Questions

So , I have had 2 months , give or take of Orencia samples by my Ra doc.  Did not notice any major changes but there was one week when he gave me the new instaclick jet needles* that I messed up my weekly injection and it did not go in.* I hate those instaclick ones.they told me to wait till the next week to try again.  Then , I ran out of samples ; my doctor was too forgetful to call in my Rx...
  • AchyJoints0615

Newbie here

Hi all! Little back history... diagnosed at 18 & currently 28. Was in remission for years until I turned 25 & it's like a circuit blew and my RA was back with a vengeance. I've been to my rheumy... We've tried his way. That worked for a moment then I had more flare ups... tried natural remedies. That worked for a bit but now im.back to his way on my 4th different drug in hopes for it to work. I'm...