Rheumatoid Arthritis Support Group

Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, inflammatory, multisystem, autoimmune disorder. It is a disabling and painful condition which can lead to substantial loss of mobility due to pain and joint destruction. The disease is also systemic in that it often also affects many extra-articular tissues throughout the body including the skin, blood vessels, heart, lungs, and muscles... The symptoms that distinguish rheumatoid arthritis from other forms of arthritis are inflammation and soft-tissue swelling of many joints at the same time (polyarthritis). The joints are usually affected initially asymmetrically and then in a symmetrical fashion as the disease progresses. The pain generally improves with use of the affected joints, and there is...

1 Online
  • Jonsparky

Remicade infusion tomorrow

I have come to my last hope, Remicade, I have failed all the other biologics.I have insurance now, so at least I am able to afford the medication, I had a little scare, insurance sent me a letter of approval, then when I called them, they told me that Remicade was not on the list of drugs, I was on the phone for a hour with them, I had just wanted to find out how much I was supposed to pay... My...
  • wes

New to the group

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago.  I see the Dr. on Thursday.  My wife was diagnosed last year so I have an idea about the process, however I didn't realize how overwelming the depression and the fatigue would be.  Any suggestions?
  • Dance1313

Newly diagnosed.

I'm 25 and was recently diagnosed with RA. I've done a little research on it but that's about it. Everytime I try to read up on it I just feel really overwhelmed. I was originally prescribed methotrexate and prednisone but after two check ups with no change he has switched me to leflunomide which honestly has the most terrifying sounding side effects I've ever heard. Has anyone else been on this?...
  • WarriorGal

....and coughing. Doctor phoning in RX for Tamiflu.I am sick and tired of being sick! Until last year, I never had a cold or flu as an adult. Raised 3 kids an never caught their strep or ear infections. I don't understand why all of a sudden my immune system is almost non-existence. I am not in contact with any kids ro anyone who's sick.
  • katie

RA and fear - let's talk about strategies

I've noticed a lot of posts recently that refer to fear, of having a sense of uncertainty about the future with RA.  Just something to consider:  the future is uncertain even without RA.  Most of us have some sense of fear about current world events.  Most women have what 'what-if' twinge with every mammogram or Pap smear.  We worry when there's a terrible weather forecast, we worry...
  • crystalcrane

My symptoms

Woke up one morning with some pretty bad pain in my right foot.  Went to one of those minute clinics.  They took exrays...said no breaks....must be sprained..  They wrapped it...still hurts 6 weeks later..but an unusual thing happened...my left foot is now the same exact way...making it almost impossible to walk..both feet and my left calf hurts too.  Went to my new doctor......she did...
  • katie

injectable MTX question

If you inject MTX, where do you get your disposable syringes?  I assumed they'd be supplied with the prescription; it makes sense to me that if you're getting a medication that has to be injected, you'll need some vehicle for actually doing so.  When I got my first scrip filled the needles were just rung up with the med.  I didn't even have to ask.  But, this time (same pharmacy) they acted...
  • keatonsmm

New to the group

Hi everyone! I came here looking for advice & support as I don't have a support system at home. Instead I get criticized for taking the meds. I currently take methotrexate injection( makes me ill for days), arava & will be starting orencia infusions next week. I've tried enbrel it gave me a bad shot reaction. I feel like no one around me understands. They're real quick to label me as lazy &...
  • WarriorGal

Thinking of Stopping Methotrexate

Having had flu three times now since Feb/2016, I am seriously considering stopping methotrexate because I believe my immune system is shot to hell!I think I will be fine on just Orenia.I have been or long periods of time.
  • keatonsmm

Diet

Has anyone tried any diets to help inflammation? I read about the nightshade diet as well as the anti inflammatory diet. Do they work or what was your experience with them? I am under weight so I don't want to lose weight but if they help I'm willing to try them! 
  • SusieG

A little further down the road!

Met with doc today after an interupted period of half my original MTX dosage and liver is back to normal.  So we're upping it a smidge and happy to hear the words "See you in 3 months", not 6 weeks.  Unless, of course, my labs in 6 weeks are wonky again.  Anyway, I felt pretty good going into the appointment, but even by the time I was driving back to work, my feet and hands were killing me!...
  • Hellen

Elevated ALT

Just wondering if anyone can answer this, I had first labs drawn after being on Methotrexate for 1 mo. My ALT is elevated, I thought I had read that initially the med may elevate the liver enzymes. Also even though I have stopped the Methotrexate (due to ankle fracture) and continued the folic acid, I have developed thrush. I have Nystatin, but anyone have any tricks at keeping from getting...
  • darwin73

Update and THANK YOU!

I haven't been on here in about a month but I did want to reach out and thank everyone who has provided me with advice the past 6 months. I started Humira injections in mid-february. I was crazy scared of the shots but as many of you suggested - it really isn't that bad! I still don't like doing it but it's okay. The Humira has helped significantly although I still have some minor inflammation...
  • WarriorGal

COUGHING...I think it's a Sjogrens flare up

I would have posted this in the Sjogrens group...but no one has been there since December!I am coughing a LOT (albeit in spurts). The only other time I coughed this much was last year when I was in an RA and Sjogrens flare because I had to stop my meds for C-Dif infection.The reason I am almost certain the coughing is related to Sjogrens is because when I take my Evoxac which is a medication that...
  • katie

Balance, and other things on the self-care list

We talk from time to time about the importance of managing our psychological health, and of following a healthy diet, and other things that aren't specifically RA related, but which are components of the "whole" that is each of us.Hellen recently posted about a broken ankle, and that got me to thinking.  In one of my rounds of PT, after a foot / ankle injury, I had to do some exercises to...