Rheumatoid Arthritis Support Group

Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, inflammatory, multisystem, autoimmune disorder. It is a disabling and painful condition which can lead to substantial loss of mobility due to pain and joint destruction. The disease is also systemic in that it often also affects many extra-articular tissues throughout the body including the skin, blood vessels, heart, lungs, and muscles... The symptoms that distinguish rheumatoid arthritis from other forms of arthritis are inflammation and soft-tissue swelling of many joints at the same time (polyarthritis). The joints are usually affected initially asymmetrically and then in a symmetrical fashion as the disease progresses. The pain generally improves with use of the affected joints, and there is...

0 Online
  • misunderstood4601

Steroid injections in my jaw?

Ok, so this is whats happening at the moment. My doctors keep wanting to stick my with needles saying it could help. They would like to do steroid injections into my jaw joint. I am going on thursday to have this done. Here is my problem I have no idea what Im getting myself into and it makes me verry jumpy and anxous considerig I have no idea what the pain of these injections are. I cannot find...
  • moka

New to RA

Hi all,I'm new to all of this, so of course looking for alternative treatments before I am given the other usual prescriptions.  I am trying to follow Dr. Mercola's diet to try and help put my RA into remission (http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/08/09/rheumatoid-arthritis-remission.aspx).  Has anyone tried and been successful?  I understand it may take some time, if...
  • crainbolt

Numbness in Hands, Burning Feet and Brain Fog

I am new to the group. I was diagnosed with RA a few years ago. At first I just had alot of muscle aches in my calves and morning stiffness. Last year I had a major flare that produced chest pain, dizziness and shortness of breath. I had a steriod shot and was alot better a couple weeks after the shot. The last few months I have had numbness in both of my hands and I have sharp and burning pain...
  • nickiraeleen

Pain management

So I am happily on MTX when I encounter a massive flair (prob due to a very sudden change in weather) when I realized I don’t have any way of counter acting it. I can’t take prednisone, and because of past experiences I have opted out of topical steroidal creams. I can’t take blood thinners witch is everything else in the world and I can’t take analgesic because it will make the...
  • katie

PsA vs RA - does it really matter?

When I initially saw my rheumatologist, she told me that my bloodwork did not clearly indicate RA vs. psoriatic arthritis; she was leaning towards RA at the time but not certain.  At today's visit, I saw that my chart now says PsA, and asked why it had been changed from 'non-specific inflammatory arthritis' to PsA.  Her answer was that she felt this was more accurate given the specific joints...
  • WW1978

Second opinion?

Hi, I'm new here. I'm WW1978, this is definitely something out of my comfort zone but I stumbled across this site when I was looking for answers about RA. The thing is I'm not sure about my diagnosis yet. Or maybe I haven't excepted it. My Rhuemotogist thinks I have RA along with my Fibromyalga. Even though I am seronegative, and imagining is negative in my hands .  However, my hands and feet...
  • Hellen

Seronegetaive RA

New to RA, ( well if you call suffering for more than a year before someone would treat) All blood tests are negetive, MRI negetive, nuclear tet pos. For inflammation, interestingly in joints not bothering me. Images do show synovitis. Rheum. Says RA but has Dx Inflammatory Arthritis dues to visible swelling in joints. Anyone seen this or have similar? 
  • WW1978

RA Resources

Does anyone have suggestions for a book about RA? I just feel lost and like I want to know more about this disease that is now a huge part of my life!
  • SadDawn

I am new to the group

Hi everyone! I just went out on disability from my job hoping that having time to rest and exercise will help me to feel good again. In order to complete my last week of work I had to take alot of predisone. Now I am paying the price. I once not long ago was completely off predisone but here I go again. Anyone out there have any suggestions for pain releif while tappering from predisone?Thanks
  • mlgore

TB

I tested positive for tb in two blood tests last week, now i have to stop enbrell and start with and infection disease doctor.  it is so discouraging.  I am not contagious, but it could go active at any time without treatment.  Enbrell is the only med that has worked for me.Anyone have experience with ra and tb
  • oceans11

Drivin' me nuts!!

I know of all things to complain about on an RA forum (non pain RA related issues) are probably the least popular but ever since being dx'd with RA in 2013 I've experienced this on & off again battle with facial redness/rash/ ITCHYNESS!!!!It resembles the area's that Lupus sufferers get but I'm definitely Lupus negative. It will start out mild for about a week & then be crazy irritating, itchy &...
  • racerunner

Nerve entrapment

My podiatrist told me I have a nerve entrapment in my ankle.  Has anyone else had this? He recommends surgery.  He also tells me there is a 15% chance it could return after surgery.   Was your surgery successful?  Any other treatments help? I have tried a walking boot.   Thanks for your input.
  • nicuprinces

New diagnosis of RA

I have been recently diagnosed with RA.  I have been off work on short term disability for 4 weeks now.   How long before mediation starts to kick in to return to work.  I have been on Prednisone for 5 weeks and Plaquinel for 1 week.
  • deleted_user

Rheumatoid nodules

I was diagnosed with RA about 6 months ago. I take a cocktail of drugs including mtx, prednisone, endolac, folic acid, and calcium with vt D. The only thing that seems to be working so far is prednisone. Just recently I noticed a bump on my achilles tendon that my rheumy said was a nodule. He said that was a sign that the disease is active and increased my meds. Now, I have another nodule on...
  • nickiraeleen

Flairs without inflammation

So i live in sunny San Diego and the day before yesterday i got flair. The largest, longest one i have ever had that almost forced my boyfriend to take me to the ER. The next day of course it rained, but even now today i am still out of work because of the pain. Weird part is... i have almost no swelling. it feels like i am trying to walk on sprained ankles and poor coffee with a broken hand, but...