Rheumatoid Arthritis Support Group

Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, inflammatory, multisystem, autoimmune disorder. It is a disabling and painful condition which can lead to substantial loss of mobility due to pain and joint destruction. The disease is also systemic in that it often also affects many extra-articular tissues throughout the body including the skin, blood vessels, heart, lungs, and muscles... The symptoms that distinguish rheumatoid arthritis from other forms of arthritis are inflammation and soft-tissue swelling of many joints at the same time (polyarthritis). The joints are usually affected initially asymmetrically and then in a symmetrical fashion as the disease progresses. The pain generally improves with use of the affected joints, and there is...

0 Online
  • WarriorGal

Big Toe UPDATE

So I have been having pain in my L big toe off and on for the past few months. Sometimes it would be excruciating to walk, then it would be fine for weeks at a time...I finally got it x-rayed to see if it was gout, RA or OA.  Ruled out gout. Last joint in big toe is RUINED. Only treatment is fusion. I will wait and only do that if the pain gets constant.
  • oceans11

Stomach issues?

I've read on several posts different digestive issues that can accompany RA? My issues started about 2months ago. My wife had severe stomach flu, so once she got over hers I just figued maybe I caught hers. She got over it in 2 weeks total so let this go on for about 3 weeks before seeing a doc.Was going through the headache & stress of a move so I just figured maybe I had some small peptic...
  • ouchsharon

Been away

Hi, I've been away for a long time.  We moved to Florida and had to go through the ordeal of finding a new rheumatologist.  Now I'm on Humera and prednisone.  I was taking Arava but stopped because I was away for 3 weeks and forgot it.  I actually feel better than I have for years but my rheumy wants to change meds.  I know the prednisone is probably what is helping but I really don't want...
  • ruby_lou

Hi, my name is...

I'm 20 years old and was diagnosed with RA last month. I've been in pain for years, but my doctor didn't take me seriously until I made the decision to find a new doctor. My new doctor discovered my RA and hypothyroidism. My lower vertebrae and hips are the most effected by my RA.My pain had been manageable, but uncomfortable and work (as a pharm tech) was a daily struggle. I was prescribed...
  • Petunia83

Maintaining dexterity? Reversing deformities?

Does anyone have any tips as to how to maintain dexterity in your fingers and hands, or how to prevent it from getting worse?  Also, has anyone found things that you feel have actually worked well in reversing or warding off further deformity in the hands/feet?
  • rackerby

Minor cut triggers limited flare

I recently got a small cut on the end of one finger in a very minor kitchen mishap. Didn't give it much thought at the time although it got a little red along the edges of the cut after a day or so. Then three days later, that same finger flared up with typical RA symptoms– swelling and joint pain all the way down to the palm– but just that one finger. I hadn't had any kind of flare for over...
  • mamawjo

Humira and cataract surgery

I'm having cataract surgery next week and just wondering if anyone else has experience with minor surgery while on Humira. I also do MTX injections. My next injections are due 2 days after the surgery. I asked my rheumy if I can still do the injection and he said it is up to my opthalmologist. My opthalmologist is not concerned except that he said that the biggest risk of the surgery is...
  • Fay123

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Hello!  I am new to this support group but I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for years.  I take Humira, Methotrexate, and Folic Acid.  When I can stay on my medications they work pretty well together.  The last time I did the Methoxerate injection it threw my IBS into all kinds of havok.  I am still trying to get my stomach settled back down.
  • Frazzled

MTX and Persistent Nausea

Hey folks...I took my second 10mg weekly dose mf MTX last Thursday. Friday I was fatigued, Saturday was nauseous and throwing up and uncomfortable but but could still play in the church band, Sunday was blah but played to a crowd of about 1,000 at the outdoors festival where my church was having its service, but pretty nauseous all day - and I threw up the fair food I ate after church. It was...
  • Hi-def

My RA story

Hello AllCall me Hi-Def. My status: 49 years old, married with children. I came to the US when I was a teenager. I had surgery on my right shoulder in my senior year in high school.I was diagnosed with RA in February 8, 2017. This is the most painful experience that I’ve ever been through. I cannot explain this painful feeling to anyone. It’s just like explaining color to a blind person....
  • katie

Anyone have experience with Zorvolex?

My rheumatologist has me on Celebrex and Tramadol-as-needed.  We chose Celebrex only because I'd taken it in pre-RA days and found it somewhat helpful and had no side effects.  The Tramadol is for bad days.  I don't take it often.  I have not felt that the inflammation was under control, but there was an improvement, at least.I also do MTX and Humira.  They're working.  But I haven't been...
  • katie

From the mouths of babes

Grandchild, at the grocery store, to total stranger:  We're late today because Nanno needed to give herself medicine with a needle that makes her feel way better.
  • bjperkins54

New Member -- question for anyone....

Hi -- just joined today.   I was diagnosed a little over a year ago.  My feet are affected the most, although I have issues in other areas as well...my feet are my "guide" as to how I'm feeling.   I have been on Plaquenil for over a year with improvement, but not pain free.  At that time my Rheumatologist added Methotrexate (now on self injector) 20mg week.....I've seen a slight...
  • ginny15

Methotrexate and muscle weakness

Has anyone experienced muscle weakness while on mtx?  I had a problem getting my injectable mtx for about 5 weeks and found that my muscles felt so much better without it.
  • Hellen

Methotrexate & mouth sores

Need advice. Rheum switched me to injectable Methotrexate due to nausea and mouth sores. Been on injectable 3 weeks and I am on third mouth sore one on tinge one on Lowe lip forming these are very very painful. I know I should call but would like to give injectable longer anyone have home remedy for these sores.Also curious for those on biologics I am assuing they are expensive, does insurance...