Rheumatoid Arthritis Support Group

Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, inflammatory, multisystem, autoimmune disorder. It is a disabling and painful condition which can lead to substantial loss of mobility due to pain and joint destruction. The disease is also systemic in that it often also affects many extra-articular tissues throughout the body including the skin, blood vessels, heart, lungs, and muscles... The symptoms that distinguish rheumatoid arthritis from other forms of arthritis are inflammation and soft-tissue swelling of many joints at the same time (polyarthritis). The joints are usually affected initially asymmetrically and then in a symmetrical fashion as the disease progresses. The pain generally improves with use of the affected joints, and there is...

0 Online
  • SusieG

New thread for input

Does minor pain and inflammation mean damage is occurring? 
  • desreb

RA Remission following breastfeeding?

Hi,I wanted to share my wife's story with RA, and the surprise remission, in order to investigate if anyone else has heard of a similar case, and has any suggestions on how we can prolong her remission.She developed RA in early 2013 following a stressful pregnancy and the birth of our first daughter. We can clearly remember the night she had this searing pain in her shoulder that came out of...
  • SusieG

TB test?

So I don't look at the script for blood work, thinking it's the usual, only to find out the lab I go to doesn't have an incubator.  For what I ask?  A TB test.  I'm not in the habit of questioning necessary tests and will not see doc until next week when we have results.  Neceessary?  Anyone else's doc request TB test?
  • poolgirl

so out of the blue my daughter on the phone just asked me if I was going to walk into the ocean and keep walking till I drown. When I said that wasn't a helpful comment she hung up on me. I'm in shock
  • happychat

compression gloves

I was wondering if anyone who uses compression gloves for achey hands has a recommendation on a good pair. I really don't want something thick but something that will put light pressure on the outer sides of my hands bc that is where I seem to have the most discomfort the pinky knuckle where it connects to the rest of the hand. I have been using an ace wrap but it's a pain, sometimes have to...
  • trisun

RA Fatigue

I know people talk about fatigue from RA and/or Mtx, but what exactly does that mean? For me, I can fall asleep just about anywhere/anytime, but I'm generally able to function. It's just if I have down time (like watching TV, waiting for appointments, etc) that I could fall asleep. I have had a few days though where my eyes just feel really heavy & I do have to take nap, but not sure if that is...
  • oceans11

Deep collarbone/clavicle pain?

Anyone every have any issues with pain underneath the collarbone? I don't believe it's the bone itself or where there may be a joint involved. It feels a bit deeper maybe into the muslce. I guess if it was muscle then it wouldn't be associated with RA right? Also, it's only on one side, my right? Pain is about a 4 but doesn't get any worse or better, has been the same since last Thursday.
  • Brownsfan

Methatrexate question

Just starting back on Methatrexate do you take it in the morning or at night? Does it make you tired?  I have only taken it once so far and had 2 stop it 2 weeks ago.  
  • etain11

Getting harder to work ...

This is mostly a venting for my mental health kind of post but I will gladly take advice and words of wisdom.I'm between a rock and a hard place right now.  I was diagnosed with RA, but then a rheumatologist called that diagnosis into question and stopped DMARD's.  She was probably wrong, but if it isn't RA, it is almost certainly PsA, Lupus, MCD, and/or something else in that family (all of...
  • Instead of two posts I figured it was easier for everyone to respnd to one. In case you have one or the other's experience. First....Depression. Do you deal with it? I've never been depressed except once in my life when I was 21 or so, had no job, had to move back in with Mom and was not chosen as a Bridesmaid in a close friends wedding but my BF was who had known the bride much shorter than I...
  • poolgirl

More problems

as if my horrible RA flare that still has me bedridden and keeps me up at night in pain wasn't bad enough,and the low blood counts and all the infections and the avascular necrosis and fractures, now I have a new problem -pancreatic insufficiency. I seem to be collecting rare diseases:( in the last 2 yrs every body system has failed. I've had a couple pneumonias one causing respiratory arrest...
  • dd25

Dental --but not dental

I have had a pain on the left side of my face, in front of my ear, up thru my temple, along my gums on top and bottom jaw and right under the jaw.  Feels like the jaw joint.  I have had dental xrays....no dental problems, none what so ever.  The pain is constant with periods of worsening pain.  I'm sure it's nerve pain.  It's awful...it's nonstop.  It's wearing me out. The area is very...
  • SusieG

Blood tests

So how often do I have to have blood work done? I just came from the lab and it's not getting any easier. My body just does not want to give up blood.
  • Another newbie! Hello! Thank you so much for taking an interest. After 30 years of managing symptoms, I may finally find out next month if I have RA. After a speckled ANA pattern that has turned up twice over the years and disappeared, I finally had an RA Factor of 31 ... not high, but I've never been in the moderate range before.Sorry to be so windy ... but much to explain in the hopes of...
  • crookedstick430

Do you?  What do you do?  With pain?  In flares?Aerobic?  Muscle building?I will see if I can find the article I recently read about exercise being the best health benefit there is (I argue that good sleep may be better).  Rheumatologists sometimes discourage it if you're in a flare, which makes sense in that it's painful, but apparently, you don't risk more damage than if you sit on a...