Rheumatoid Arthritis Support Group

Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, inflammatory, multisystem, autoimmune disorder. It is a disabling and painful condition which can lead to substantial loss of mobility due to pain and joint destruction. The disease is also systemic in that it often also affects many extra-articular tissues throughout the body including the skin, blood vessels, heart, lungs, and muscles... The symptoms that distinguish rheumatoid arthritis from other forms of arthritis are inflammation and soft-tissue swelling of many joints at the same time (polyarthritis). The joints are usually affected initially asymmetrically and then in a symmetrical fashion as the disease progresses. The pain generally improves with use of the affected joints, and there is...

1 Online
  • I'm sure I will get some good replies on this one! These are some comments I've had thus far from co-workers, family, friends, and other associates."My friend had that and she just takes a pill....""Oh, I know I have arthritis too...""You're a hypochondriac...""You will never be like your mother...she wasn't active""Well, you are getting older...""Have you tried ibuprofen...?"REALLY??? People...
  • Hello. I saw my rheumatologist today for the second time. I'm at 40% of where she wants me to be.
  • I have been living with Rheumatoid Arthritis for 15 years. I have been on countless mediations to try to combat the problem. When I was first diagnosed, my Rheumatologist put me on Methotrexate and Prednisone (on and off when it flared). The Methtrexate stopped working and we started biologics. I have been on Humira, Enbrel, Oriencia, Remiciade and have had to discontinue use due to a variety of...
  • lio1994

Looking for options...

I have been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis for about 2 years now. I am well aware of many issues involving it and am being treated unsucessfully as I have not found a medication I have had any luck with. (currently taking, Plaquenil, Meloxicam, and Leflunomide - after an unsucessful try at Methotrexate) I am having an extremley difficult time controlling my inflamation, as some days my hands...
  • buddhacat

Hi kids

I'm back, at least for a while.  Curious to see what's changed in the last 3 months.  I see that the font size is larger and I see a button for posting photos.  Haven't looked to see if we cn post photos on our own pages, yet.  I hope everyone is doing well.  I finished my 9th year of Rituxan earlier this month, had an eye socket surgery and new prosthetic eye made, and things are mostly...
  • Diagnosed this year. Have not discussed meds with Rheumy as I only saw him twice. (I've been avoiding, but I am in mega pain daily...so going again soon). He knows the way I am is to attempt natural ways to eliminate pain first. I am taking a crazy amount of Aleve (up to 600mg/a day). Helps a bit. I changed my diet, on an anti-inflamatory diet. I stretch a lot & do resoratove yoga. But I hurt all...
  • darwin73

Autoimmune diets? Yes or No?

i was diagnosed about 2 months ago. Of course friends and family are trying to be very helpful and offer all kinds of suggestions. For those of you who have experience with RA - what are your suggestions if any towards following a certain type of diet? Right now I'm just learning and letting my meds kick in. I'm not planning to make any major lifestyle changes yet. I need to get my flare under...
  • WarriorGal

DERMATOLOGIST TODAY: BIPOSY.

Not a scraping. I had two cut and stitch biopsies done cause dermatologist suspects Vasculitis ! !   http://www.lupus.org/answers/entry/what-do-i-need-to-know-about-vasculitis-and-lupus 
  • californialynn

Passing Down the Gene

Given your experience with RA, would you choose to get pregnant and possibly pass on the gene? Could you bear to see your child suffer with RA?
  • californialynn

Holidays

They're approaching!What steps are you taking to conserve energy for the holidays?
  • katie

another member on the team

Because of an issue not related to RA, my family doctor and I agreed that I should do a round of physical therapy.  Since I was going anyway, he also agreed to write a second scrip for therapy for my RA-swollen hands.  (The actual scrip was necessary for insurance purposes.)  The problems with my hands are certainly not overwhelming at this point, other than the fact that they're MY hands, and...
  • katie

Win some, lose some

Cold, damp weather seems to make my hands worse.  But those are my best hair days.  i guess that means I always have something to look forward to when I wake up?
  • poodlemom

Re-introduction

I thought I would follow Buddacat and re-introduce myself.  I have been following posts since the new site started, but have not been active.I am 58 and was diagnosed three years ago.  I am sero-negative, but was lucky enough to have a very quick diagnosis and treatment.  I did the prednisone thing, and then started Methotrexate.  I was on that for 1.5 years, added if I remember correctly...
  • darwin73

Fatigue

Hi - thank you for all the responses to previous posts. Today I would like to consider fatigue. I've been on MTX 6 weeks and I know I need to be more patient. Does the fatigue with RA get better as the MTX takes affect? I'm not very patient and just trying to wrap my head around all this. I slept 10 hours last night and could have kept sleeping. I do understand that if I'm active I may experience...
  • sarahjayclay

Skeptical of diagnosis

hello!  I'm newly diagnosed, but have doubts about my RA diagnosis bc I don't present like a typical RA patient.  Joint pain for the last 8 years (remissions during pregnancies),  pain in feet sometimes goes away after 30 min or stays all day, hand pain never goes away fully.  No obvious swollen, red or hot joints.  I do have raynaud's when I get chills (every few months), and had a low...