Rheumatoid Arthritis Support Group

Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, inflammatory, multisystem, autoimmune disorder. It is a disabling and painful condition which can lead to substantial loss of mobility due to pain and joint destruction. The disease is also systemic in that it often also affects many extra-articular tissues throughout the body including the skin, blood vessels, heart, lungs, and muscles... The symptoms that distinguish rheumatoid arthritis from other forms of arthritis are inflammation and soft-tissue swelling of many joints at the same time (polyarthritis). The joints are usually affected initially asymmetrically and then in a symmetrical fashion as the disease progresses. The pain generally improves with use of the affected joints, and there is...

1 Online
  • greentea

Week 1, Step 1...

one week of prednisone 10mg a day. I told him I would do ONE WEEK. Gives me anxiety and mood swings. Also puffy.  Does predinsone really help with pain? Will I feel like being more active?thoughs....experiences. ?thanks!
  • gryd1963

Humira and shortness of breath

Hi guys,It's been a while since I posted. I had a crummy winter and never got the RA under control. I have been improving, however, since starting Humira a couple months ago. The problem is ever since I took my last dose on Thursday I noticed a lot of shortness of breath. I can't be positive it is Humira but I was fine before my last injection. I plan to call the doctor on Monday but my question...
  • bluebonnet49

where do I start

I was diagnosed in January as a "result" of what was an acute flare up. Prednisone, methotrexate, naproxen and tramadol got me thru it, and I went from not being able to sit up without assistance to going back to work in 6 weeks. I was SOOO much better, back to "normal". Off the prednisone, didn't need the tramadol, down to 2 naproxen a day and 12.5mg of methatrexate a week. Now, over the past...
  • 12andbeyond

I need to unload...

Hi there. This is the story/rant of my life with RA (which is hard for me, because 1. I am a people pleaser and don't tend complain and suck it up without telling people how much it hurts, and 2. I know that there are many, many people out there who are worse off then me, so stop whining...).I was diagnosed with JRA at the age of 12. On crutches for a year or so, and given asprin as the med to...
  • WarriorGal

Do I DARE?

Do I dare plan a month-long trip overseas?I live in the US and have a son and grandson (13) in NZ. I never wanted to make the 20+ hour flight so I used to send $$ for them to come here. But my d-i-l in nuts and is refusing to renew my grandson's passport. So instead of getting sad and angry, I just decided: I'll go there!Grandson is off from school December and January, so I've decided I'll go...
  • bettyboopy

new to group and overwhelmed

I am a new diagnosis.   I saw rheumatologist this week.  I have a "convincing story" and positive family history. Was recently on prednisone for bronchitis and it helped the pain. and I have rheumatoid changes seen on xray.  BUT all of my lab work thus far has been negative or inconclusive.  Has anyone else had this?  The doctor told me there is a good percentage of patients without lab...
  • KBaug

How do I know if the meds are actually working??

Hi everyone,Im new to the group and full of questions, but this one has been boggling me the most. I have been diagnosed for just over a year - but suffering since highschool (26yrs old now)I was started on x6 tablets of MTX per week, folic acid daily and pain/anti inflam meds when needed. My dose was raised 3months ago to .8 injections...becuase  my RA is pretty bad I guess. and I just dont...
  • Jay30

Pens/writing aids in South Africa

Hi everyone, I'm a 31 year old female and was diagnosed with Psoriasis arthritis  last year (very similar to Rheumatoid arthritis), the pain and stiffness is predominantly in my finger joints. Any advice on writing aids or pens? I'm starting my MBA next year and I'm a bit concerned about my ability to write under exam pressure for long hours. Thank you!
  • 3ldsmama

RA Nodules

What do RA Nodules feel like.? Are they hard, painful, or fluid?
  • Anijo

Scared, but got my first appt tomorrow!! Advice?

what is Rh factor 186 is that bad? Got diagnosis two weeks ago. Just got a rheumatologist to see me in Feb. Feb? I’m in so much pain. What do I do meanwhile?
  • songbirdj

Dental issues

I have a root canal coming in a couple of weeks.  My dentist always talks about my "tongue going crazy," and I have great deal of trouble holding my mouth open for him. It doesn't hurt but it's like my jaws are weak or something!? Anyone else do this. Is there anything I should say to him. He's clueless I believe in Regards to autoimmune probs and dentistry. Thanks for any ideas!Jessica 
  • ginny15

Methotrexate and muscle weakness

Has anyone experienced muscle weakness while on mtx?  I had a problem getting my injectable mtx for about 5 weeks and found that my muscles felt so much better without it.
  • ginny15

midfoot fusion

Has anyone gone through a midfoot fusion surgery?  Scheduled for the end of December and looking for information.  Thanks
  • katie

Methotrexate and the Cold From Hell

I went to the rheumatologist today for my first shot of Stelara, which will replace Humira for me.  While I was there, during the general check-up part of things, I mentioned that for a good bit of the three months since my last visit, I had a really wretched cold that just would not let go.  This was my first cold since being diagnosed two years ago - since I retired from teaching school, I...
  • WarriorGal

This is me!

When RA is all Too Visible.