Renal Cell Carcinoma (Kidney Cancer) Support Group

Renal cell carcinoma, also known by a gurnistical tumor, is the most common form of kidney cancer arising from the renal tubule. It is the most common type of kidney cancer in adults. Initial therapy is with surgery. It is notoriously resistant to radiation therapy and chemotherapy, although some cases respond to immunotherapy.

0 Online
  • greystone2

looking for stories of NON recurrence

I had a partial nephrectomy 7 years ago for a stage 1 (grade 3) 2.5cm tumor. I'm looking for encouraging stories of people that are many years out without a recurrence. Seems like most stories online are the bad stories. Looking for positive ones. I've had a great 7 years - and now have two small children - and the though of recurrence still weighs heavily on me.
  • HOPE317

Remove kidney or not. Thoughts?

My father has recently been diagnosed with Stage IV RCC with bone mets to both hips. He suffered a complete break to his left femur while in the hospital to repair the pathological fracture in his left hip. During his post op visit, his Oncologist had him meet with a renal surgeon who told him that it is left kidney is the suspected source (he also has a mass in the right kidney as well). He is...
  • Sadiestorm

New chemo...

So I have started a new chemo treatment optdivo. Anyone know much about this drug? I have a port and Im always tired and aches. I have stage 4 rcc. It so read from my kidneys to my left femur and the tumor actually fractured my femur and then it spread to my spine. I've had a rod placed in my femur and my left kidney removed and the tumor removed off my spine. My hair is falling out, not in...
  • mariaesta

Immunotherapy for RCC

Hello, everyone!Earlier this year, my father was diagnosed with stage 4 RCC. One of this kidneys was then removed. An MRI after the surgery showed that there was a spread in his spine and lymph nodes around the kidney, although the doctor was optimistic about it since he said the bulk of the cancer was removed and only specs of them were left. This gave us a lot of hope.They started him on 4...
  • deleted_user

stage of RCC ?

My good friend had her kidney removed because of cancer a couple of months ago. The doctor never told her what stage cancer she had. I told her she should of asked. But she states the doctor did give her 80 - 85 % chance of being cancer free in five (5) years. She goes back for her follow up in April and has asked me why she hasn't been put on any medication? Also seems that she may have a...
  • 1worriedwife2017

Rcc

my husband was diagnosed with rcc on feb 2 2017. Stage 4 which spread to brain and liver.  He had brain tumor removed and a second one treated with radiation.  Tumor is to large to remove his kidney. So he has been put on votrient to attemp to shrink it some.  Prayers appreciated!   Anyone have really good results with votrient? The first scan will be May 2   Wish us luck
  • salsa

hope for a future

Hello, I just joined the group, well a few months ago I was diagnosed with clear cell renal carcinoma that had spread to the liver. I  immediately went in for surgery to have the left kidney and 12.5cm mass removed followed by a surgery to have the left side of my liver removed. All was well until a I had a CT scan a few weeks later that showed that the cancer had spread to the lungs, the other...
  • Terry613

Hi I'm new to this site

I was diagnosed with RCC at the end of September 2016. I had a nephrectomy of my left kidney Oct 5th.   It was 10cm. I had absolutely no symptoms until 1 morning I couldn't pee. I want to confirm that what I am feeling is normal and I'm not crazy I feel as if I'm in a waiting room waiting for the next shoe to drop.And that e eryone does care but they don't really get what's happening with you...
  • JerseyGirl5

Newly diagnosed with Stage 1 RCC

Hello, In January 2017 I "accidentally" found a 1.5 cm enhancing leasion on my left kidney through a CT scan I had for another issue. I had a partial nephrectomy on my left kidney to remove it 10 days ago.  This is all new to me but I feel pretty good and optimistic.  They told me that there is only a 5%-10% chance that it will come back.  It is still a little scary though.  Any advice to...
  • So my 31 year old husband has been diagnosed with malignant papillary renal cell carcinoma. He has about 7 tumors varying in location in his abdomen. In 2016 he was originally diagnosed when they found a large tumor on one of his kidneys and he had undergone a patrial nephrectomy. We knew that his cancer would more than likely come back as he was also found to be positive for a genetic mutation...
  • my mom is 86. She lives in a nursing home. She has had colon cancer 7 years ago and has a colostomy bag which she can no longer maintain. She has dementia and has recently become bed ridden and incontinent. Last week she was sent to hospital with abdominal pain and fever. During an ultra sound on her very sick gallbladder they discovered rcc. She is dnr and doesnt want any more procedures...
  • mlr0853

Wishing....

That this group would be more active, thus more supportive with daily concerns of medical and mental health support of current cancer and those who have been through treatment. ML
  • Sandylapper

Dealing with Esophageal Spasms

My husband was diagnosed with RCC a couple of months ago and has been undergoing radiation treatments and was started on Sutent.  On the first round, he made it about 3 weeks, but he had such intense side effects that he was taken off at that point and took 2 weeks off.  During the 2 weeks off, he was finally able to eat again even though the food still tasted off.  Now, he's a little over 2...
  • AlwaysBelieve

Nerve damage afrer partial nephrectomy

Has anyone experienced nerve damage after surgery ? I had no feeling for a long time then the feeling came back along with stabbing pain and awful burning pain. They told me they nicked the nerve and that was common. I am now on medicine and patches but this pain is controlling my life it is awful. They said it could take weeks or months to heal.Has anyone else experienced this and does it go...
  • MDLF

New Therepy for Renal Cancer

My husband has Stage 4 Renal cancer. It has metastasized to his brain, lymph nodes, lungs and bones. He is on Palliative Care but something amazing is happening; the tumors on his kidney and in his lungs are shrinking.The tumors in his brain are gone (radiation) and the tumor in his lymph node is stable. The lesions on his Hypothalamus and his spine are not growing but they are not getting...