Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) Support Group
Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is a progressive, genetic disorder of the kidneys. It occurs in humans and other organisms. PKD is characterised by the presence of multiple cysts (polycystic) in both kidneys. The disease can also damage the liver, pancreas and rarely the heart and brain.
painalways
I am so frustrated! I had an appt at the transplant clinic just to get some info and questions answered. I asked the Dr about having a bilateral nephrectomy due to the size of my kidneys and the severe chronic pain. I have been unable to work for over 2 years and get only about an hour of activity in a day, due to pain. I take very high doses of pain meds to try and keep the pain under control. So, anyway the Dr says "You are in the drivers seat" so if you want to have the nephrectomy done then it can be done. I then asked if my family members could be tested to see if anyone is a match first and he said "absolutely". He just wanted to speak with my nephrologist and see what page she was on. So, he talks to her on the phone while I am sitting there and she flat out refuses to refer me for a nephrectomy! I am so upset to be told that I am in the drivers seat regarding my health, but I can't move forward without the referral from my neph. So, here I sit possibly for another 10 years or more unable to work or do anything due to the pain. My thoughts are that if I have to wait 10 years or more who will hire me in my late 50s and all my siblings will be too old to be able to donate a kidney. I know that there are others out there in worse shape than I am, but is it so terrible to want to have some sort of life back. I know all the risks and what life will be like after a nephrectomy and a transplant. Sure its scary, but the longer I have to wait, the bigger my kidneys get and the riskier the surgery. Sorry for venting. I am just so frustrated!!
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
Is anyone here allergic to Sulfa that is currently taking Diamox? I have been diagnosed with IH now for almost 2 years. I am allergic to Sulfa drugs meaning that my throat will swell up so my Neurologist put me on Topamax. I was suffering from major loud whoosing noises and the topamax helped that but everyday I still hear those mainly between 6 - 12 pm. I am at my wits end and have not went...
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
Hope you can move forward with this soon.
Best wishes