Parkinson's Disease Support Group

Parkinson's disease is a movement disorder often characterized by muscle rigidity, tremor, a slowing of physical movement, and in extreme cases, a loss of physical movement. The primary symptoms of Parkinsons are due to excessive muscle contraction, normally caused by the insufficient formation and action of dopamine, which is produced in the dopaminergic neurons of the brain.

0 Online
  • I really wanted to connect with others who have had some experience. So, i signed up here...However, reading all the posts, I see a lot of them have had no responses at all for months...So, I will look elsewhere.
  • Blueblur

New here, Lots of questions

I've recently been diagnosed for the second time.  Originally was diagnosed in 2015, have had symptoms since 2009. I was told in 2016 that I did NOT have PD after a DAT scan by a MDS.  Has anyone else had a DAT scan that was wrong?  I'm told it's about 80% accurate.Next question...I'm taking mirapex that was like a miracle cure at first.  I had one dose increase but it is not working as well...
  • Merijahn

Just diagnosed and really concerned

Hi all, I am A 56 year old male.  about a year and a half ago, I noticed that my right hand was shaking a bit, I didn't think much about it, since I work a physical job and am often fatigued at the end of the day.  It has progressively gotten really irritating, and I finally told my GP about it.  He recommended a neurologist.  Since I just celebrated my one year Anniversary of being Cancer...
  • aly28

Fiance has Early onset- Under 35 yrs old

Hi everyone,new to a support group, but not new to knowing my loved one's diagnosis. Anyone else married/in a relationship with someone under the age of 35 with PD?
  • AV91

Anyone feeling like their feet are stuck?

Hello everyone!I'm a student from the University of Minnesota and I'm looking to learn more about anyone's experience with gait freezing, or if their feet feel like they are stuck to the floor or glued to the floor. I'd like to know what day-to-day activities you go through, what you're doing to help with your situation, what are some difficulties that you experience, etc. If you are willing to...
  • sommarosol

sex addiction/Parkinson meds

HiI have just found out that my partner of 4 years has a sex addiction. I dicovered that he is seeing other women and he admits it. I am devastated and obviously still in shock. It has been going on for years apparently. He says it is due to low self esteem (erectile dysfunction and a fear of not being inadequate). He wants to prove to himself that he can satisfy a woman but says it doesn't work...
  • Zebre4life

Heading Towards A Deep Brain Implant.

Right about I'm feeling like I'm loosing my mind, I'm on 12 Sinemet a day, 3 Comtan a day and 2 Amantadine 200mg., I've been on this dose all month. I have another appointment on the 28th of this month where I have to take my usual dose at 5 am. then be observed from 10:00 am till 11:00 am. I will then go back to the hospital to be re-evaluated again from 1:30 to around 3:00 pm. I sure hope that...
  • Pbum

Dbs settings

Wondering about the setting parameters. I seem to function on nearly 0 hours sleep. Not really possible l know. I have had many adjustments over 2 years... anyone had a similar experience?
  • JWMS47

Looking for Tips to Deal with Nausea from Meds

Hello,Has anyone experienced severe nausea from their prescribed medication?  Any information you can share on how you were able to overcome this problem (e.g., timing of meds, with or without meals, etc) would be greatly appreciated.I have recently experienced deterioration in my left arm and it is difficult for me to function without medication. My doctor prescribed an increased dosage of meds...
  • Pbum

Im back with a new name pbum after being peachbum

What the hell ? I looked up my old friends and instantly saw that wewillwin sadly passed away, I see a few names from long ago Zlata and Alivo , where   is everyone else.I have had DBs since being here last
  • SandHarbor3

Rytary Update

It's been a few months, since I've been here on DS. Next week, I hope to be able to catch up on all the posts since my last visit. For now, though, I want to quickly share with other members of this PD group an experience with Rytary that necessitates the attention of anyone considering or already taking Rytary, especially if taking it during an advanced PD stage.Sometime last fall, I'd inquired...
  • deleted_user

Children of parents with parkinson's

I've been talking to a lot of people that have p.d. parents. And i think all of you need to form a support group to relate your insights of what it's like to have a parent with p.d.!What do you think about this idea!
  • aliveo

THE NESSESSITY OF HAVING A POSITIVE ATTITUDE

THIS FOR ME JUST HAS TO BE SAID.WHATEVER YOU MAY THINK, SAY OR BELIEVE, ABOUT THAT WHICH I AM ABOUT TO WRITE, WILL NOT CHANGE MY VIEW  ON THINGS. I  HAVE CARRIED THIS AROUND FOR  SO LONG NOW. SO ALLOW ME TO GET THS OF MY CHEST AS I SIT HERE, AND WRITE THAT I WHICH I THINK, AND THINK NOT WHAT I WRITE.  I THINK, FEEL AND BELIEVE, IT IS VITAL TO HAVE A POSITIVE ATTITUDE, TO FIGHT AND MANAGE THIS...
  • deleted_user

Quitting Azilect

Anyone have a difficult time quitting Azilect? I've been on it for 3 years in varying degrees of strength (1 mg or .5) and Neuro suggested stopping since the clinical trials didn't produce the anticipated PD progression improvement that was hoped for. I have had conflicing opinions on this also. Anyway, if you have quit the drug, did you taper off or quit cold turkey? I quit suddenly and am...
  • Got the tremors and right hand then going to Dr. taking medicines nothing has worked so far would like more information what to do it's not getting any better it's getting worse