Multiple Myeloma Support Group

Multiple myeloma (also known as MM, myeloma, plasma cell myeloma, or as Kahler's disease after Otto Kahler) is a type of cancer of plasma cells, immune system cells in bone marrow that produce antibodies. Its prognosis, despite therapy, is generally poor, and treatment may involve chemotherapy and stem cell transplant. It is part of the broad group of diseases called hematological malignancies... There are approximately 45,000 people in the United States living with multiple myeloma, and the American Cancer Society estimates that approximately 14,600 new cases of myeloma are diagnosed each year in the United States. It follows from here that the average prognosis is about three years. Multiple myeloma is the second most prevalent blood...

0 Online
0 Online
  • Hello All,I am new posting to this board,have been reading some of the posts to get a sense of what you're all experiencing. Someone may have some knowledge I'm trying to find, haven't been able to find much elsewhere and experience is the best teacher after all.I do have an Mspike, met with a Hematologist/Onc and will returnTuesday for test results. Her dx right now is MGUS.Question-This was...
  • Hi. 56 year old male, two years post stem cell transplant. I was given the Velcade, Revlimid & Dexamethasone regimen early on. The Velcade gave me a bad case of Peripheral Neuropathy. I've tried all the drugs, (Lyrica, etc) and the Vitamin 'B' treatments, with no luck. My neurologist doesn't seem to have an answer for me.I recently was told of 'Cold Laser Treatments' for the neuropathy. Has...
  • Hi everyone,I see many of the same names from before mrsdoc, Bamb00, kaparker, Horatia, etc. just many familiar usernames.I used to comment and ask for advice several years ago for my DH. He was DX MM Stage III in May of 2012. Sadly he succumbed and passed away March 17, 2015, St Patrick's Day. It was heartbreaking to say the least, but I held him as he drew his last breath and know he suffers no...
  • I HAVE BEEN HAVING STOMACH PROBLEMS.DIAGNOSED AFTER HAVING AN ENDOSCOPY WITH A LARGE HIATIAL HERNIA,GASTRITIS,AND A ESOPHAGEAL STRICTURE.COULD THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH MM..ONCE WHEN I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL WITH STOMACH PAIN ,VOMITING AND TERRIBLE NAUSEA I PASSED BROWN URINE.MY KIDNEY DR. HAD ME TO COME IN TO SEE HIM AFTER I GOT OUT OF THE HOSPITAL.HE SENT ME TO AN ONCOLOGIST WHO I SAW EVERY 3...
  • rcollette

family with Cancer

Although I'm not the one with cancer I feel emotional drained from it and no one ever asked how am I doing or how are the kids doing? I don't think people realize that the family members are affected pretty bad as well. My children's father (who is still one of my dear friends) is 42 years old with stage 4 skin cancer. Everyone is telling me I have to be the strong one for our children and for...
  • deleted_user

getting stronger

well finally my husband Dave is starting to feel stronger..He has even started driving back & forth to work..and doing things around the house..he has more energy..big appetitie (although he's still on the netrpeina diet for one more month) his weight is good..saw the dr. last monday and he said that Dave doesnt have to come back to see him for 6 months.. he will start the revlimid again in 3...
  • Cheap Kitchen Units Online. Thirty Ex Display Kitchens To Clear. www.exdisplaykitchens1.co.uk 595 Each with appliances.Tel 01616-694786
  • Nancy524

No Pain Meds

Has anyone had their pain medication stopped by your doctors? My regular physician and my pain management doctor are taking me off my Hydrocodone I have been taking for 5 yrs. now. They say it does nothing for me except alter the brain to believe it helps. Well to me it is the only pain meds I have been on where it does help. Just wondered if anyone else has gone through this. Nancy
  • newmugg

Getting tested for MM

Hello group. Sorry for the long post. I recently had a MRI w/contrast because of a hugging sensation (I really call it a severe cramp) around my rib cage under my breast area. The MRI came back with generalized heterogeneity of the marrow signal as well as a focal T1, T2 hypo-intense lesion within the T5 vertebral body. I know these findings can be nothing or nothing to do with MM. My question...
  • Id love to hear from patients/family members about your experience with stem cell transplant.Dr O.
  • deleted_user

Pain control

Just dx'd with MM...have unbearable bone pain. What meds have you found used that are effective?
  • HoratioKay

Prognosis

http://myelomasurvival.com/3/post/2012/10/multiple-myeloma-the-younger-you-are-the-better-the-prognosis-a-much-improved-life-expectancy-and-survival-rate.html
  • calady50

paying for the drugs?

Is there a particular Medicare insurance that will cover the medications better than another? Are they usually covered?
  • flowerA

No Treatment

Hi my Dad who is 90yrs old has had 3 treatments of chemo tablets but his no has gone up , so doctor said because o his age and other illnesses he wont give him any more treatment. Just left. Well in the week he had a infection in his bladder which sent him crazy, he also has dementia so it was a difficult time. Must do another water test on him next week, see if its gone. I find it all hard to...
  • My dh just got diagnosed today and his is in the "early stage" and asymptomatic. They want to start him on Reb, Vel and Dexamilthasone. It might be foolish of me but is there really any hurry to start this stuff if he no tumors are showing or symptoms? The Dr says it's best...Any input is greatly appreciated as is offers of support as he's doing better than I am with this...