Guillain-Barr Syndrome (GBS) Support Group

Guillain-Barrí© syndrome (GBS), is an acquired immune-mediated inflammatory disorder of the peripheral nervous system (i.e. not the brain or spinal cord). It is suggested that it is an autoimmune disease, in which the sufferer's immune system is triggered into damaging the nerve covering. Many cases developed in people who received the 1976 swine flu vaccine.

0 Online
  • staceyinga

Just Diagnosed

I'm joining the group for support. My journey started at the end of September, when I had weird skin sensations down the back of both legs. A few days later I lost the function to urinate...urinary retention. Then I began having numbness in my entire back saddle area, pelvic region, etc. Then down the back of my legs, skipping the back of my knees, and into my feet. Over those two weeks I had...
  • chloemoon

Looking for guidance

Towards the end of September I started experiencing numbness in my finger which then spread to my feet. I fell a couple of times in my home but the last straw was falling in the parking lot of a local store. My strength was diminishing quickly. My daughter took me to a local hospital who then transferred me to a larger one. I was given test after test, all negative. The neurologist there...
  • pdeg1456

20+ years since recovery(!)

I was diagnosed with GBS in 1991. I was 22, at the time. I had had a sore throat and had lost my voice two weeks before and that was pinpointed as the trigger. From the initial symptoms, pins, and needles, weakness, etc. it took 3 days till I was hospitalized and diagnosed. Two weeks in hospital saw the paralysis reach its height 3 days after my hospital admission. I began to recover. two weeks...
  • Rajuchoure

Tremor in fingers 1 year post GBS

I had GBS in October 2016. Was in icu for 10 days and countingDown join work in January 2017. I think I recovery pretty fast. Can run on trade mill at a speed of 8 kip and can lift weight about 30 km.  Can exercise with dumbell pair of 6th each.  Cannot dom pull ups and can do max 5 pushups ( before GBS I could do 5 pull ups and about 15 pushups). Cannot stand for more than 15 minutes. Have to...
  • Hello! I had Guillain Barre in Sept. 2016. It progressed rather quickly for me. I also rebounded rather quickly as far as walking and now 11 months later I am pretty much recovered physically as far as strenghth and feeling goes. I still get tired easily and when I do I get confused easily and have a noticeable limp. But My biggest problem is since January I have had pnuemonia three times...
  • KWZ

NEW to GBS

Just recently diagnosed during my last semester of college after getting simple chest cold (respiratory infection) in February 2017. Only suffered numbness and burning in hands, feet and left shin. Did 3 days on IVIG. Horrific experience, never want to do it again. I currently take Gabepentin and B12 vitamins. I tried Cymbalta for a few weeks but it turned me into a sleeping zombie. I got off...
  • dhits

Lyrica - Complications

So I had the bright idea a year and half ago because I wasn't having many symptoms to take myself off of Gabapentin, and under the advice of my new family doctor, I did. Oh, I had just retired and moved to a new area, so my doctor wasn't familiar with my whole history yet. Anyway, awhile back the symptoms returned and one of my doctors prescribed Lyrica for the neuropathy instead, said that's...
  • GBSNOV2015

Muscle weakness.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone on here has muscle weakness after a couple years of the diagnosis of mild GBS. I initally had GBS a month after I turned 30 and now I'm almost 32. I went from not being able to walk at all to jogging in 6 months, but I still get tired as heck and muscle pain. My job is very fast paced and heavy lifting for 8-12 hours. Before the GBS there was no issue and now...
  • sahilsingh

Hello

I got gbs in August 2014 and by the time I got to the hospital I was paralysed waist down and my upper body was slightly affected. After staying in the hospital for two weeks and getting immunoglobulin treatment I returned home and did intensive physiotherapy (3 hours a day) for two months until I was fit to go to school. Then it changed to 6 hours a week at school. It has nearly been three years...
  • MNBR

Trying to Figure This Out....

Hello everyone. I'm here to ask questions for my mother. We are very confused, and concerned.On October 17th, my mother took the flu vaccine. At the time, my new baby was just 6 weeks old. We were advised by doctors to have our flu vaccines. I had to wait to get mine because while I was in the hospital for delivery I was given the chickenpox vaccine and when I went back for my 6 week check up I...
  • Beckham55

hi new to this group...

Hi yall I had GBS  in 1994 when I was 4 years old.  I was paralyzed from the waist down and I remember not being able to move my hands. I was in the hospital for about 6 months and had 3 surgeries to help correct my walk after recovery. Anyone else had it that young?
  • deleted_user

CIDP

Does anyone here have the chronic form of Guillain-barre Syndrome, CIDP. many of the symptoms are very much alike, but there are substantial differences. The prognosis for GBS is relatively optimistic for one thing, 50-90% of patients may reach nearly complete recovery. However, a particularly frustrating consequence is long term recurrence of fatigue and or/exhaustion as well as pain. This...
  • Misty123

Does this sound like GBS?

Since around the beginning of July, I have had a "feeling" of weakness or a tiredness that begins in my knees bilaterally in the morning and ascends to include my shoulders by the end of the day.  Only once that I can remember did I feel as though I would lose my leg strength and fall.  Furthermore, my hands, although they always "feel" weak, have the strength to at least do things,...
  • Lesa

The new DS

Just checking to see how many of us made it through the migration. Anybody here and how do you like the new look?
  • Mary

Gabapentin

I am on 400 mg of Gabapentin 3 times a day.  You can try going without the medication but you will be right back on it.  I stopped taking it not long after returning home from rehab and it was horrible.  I couldn't sleep at night due to the pain along with my feet feeling like I had two lead boots on.