Graves' Disease Support Group

Graves-Basedow disease is a medical disorder that may manifest several different conditions including hyperthyroidism (over activity of thyroid hormone production), infiltrative exophthalmos (protruberance of one or both eyes and associated problems) and infiltrative dermopathy (a skin condition usually of the lower extremities). This disorder is the most common cause of hyperthyroidism.

0 Online
  • kitkat03

Aura migraines/vision problems

diagnosed with Graves Jan.2017 after a very rough highly symptomatic year. On tapazole 10mg in am and 5mg in pm as well as propranolol 20mg bid. I have good days and bad. I have been getting debilitating aura migraines. I've eliminated chocolate, most sugars, caffeine, and soft cheeses. Any suggestions that may have worked? I'm really frustrated. Dr. Trying to decrease meds but symptoms return....
  • Notnops

Newly Diagnosed - Taking Carbimazole & Propranolol

I’m a 51 year old woman and was diagnosed with Grave’s Disease just over a week ago. I’ve been prescribed 30mg of Carbimazole and 120mg of Propranolol per day. Before my diagnosis I hadn’t lost any weight although I did have an increased appetite. I’ve been told that the drugs I am taking will cause weight gain and I’m worried about this as my weight is a constant battle. I exercise...
  • Hyper

Headed into remission

61 yo with Graves for 13 mos, on low dose tapozole 2.5 mg 3x week! All my numbers are normal, and my TIS  < 1! I went gluten, milk,sugar, alcohol, free! I do eat cheese! Have the same meals everyday! Plant based protein shake, with frozen berries, banana, coconut milk for breakfast and lunch! Supper chicken, eggs, salmon,pork,occasionally beef, all grilled! And a superfood Kale salad! I drink...
  • cindeeh

T3 ?

Hi,I forgot to ask on the Seriously? thread - I did get the results of the T3 and he didn't do a FT3 and I don't remember the logic behind it - I just kind of figured at this point "whatever" if you know what I mean. Anyway, justgot the result and the T3 is 129 with range 87-178. What do you make of those results? I'm not sure how to interpret it.Thanks much.Cinde
  • kaspersue37

Graves is new to me

Hi all. I was recently diagnosed with Graves. I've been struggling with it for months. I haven't even been to work this year. My question is how do you all keep your jobs? I work in a factory and it's very fast paced and demanding. They mandate us for ten hour days and 8 hours on weekends. I am suppose to go back to work this Thursday. I applied for FMLA but my employer isn't communicating with...
  • dairytech

carpal tunnel

Ive been suffering from carpal tunnel now for about 5 years. I was wondering if its a hyperthyroid thing or a graves thing. Does anyone else have it with graves?
  • Juniper1

Graves diagnosed a week ago

Hi!I have just been diagnosed with Graves a week ago, I have all the symptoms except massive weight loss (of course!) and it totally sucks, especially high hr and anxiety. My numbers areTSH >0.01, T4 79, T3 38 I was told my numbers are really high, I have been put on 40mg carb split twice a day. I am on my 4th day, I have been feeling better and hopeful except in the late afternoon early...
  • HSGraves

Recently Diagnosed

Hello All, I just got diagnosed with Graves Disease since I am experiencing severe sympotoms with my hair.  Dryness, breakage, hair loss.  I am wondering if this is because of the hyroid issue.  Also the Dr. recommended RAI and I am not sure is this the right decision to make without trying medical management first.  As I requested I am currently on 5mg of Methimazole, been on it for 3 weeks,...
  • eccentric

Anybody know of anything bettr for TED then taking

My tsi numbers are really high, I have problems with my left eye only. Dr wanted to keep me on a 2mg of medrol (steroids) I was on it for 7 months back in 2015-16 and after being on for so long i started getting really bad side effect, foggy thinking, hair coming out, very moody, lot of weight gain. I'm waiting for my test results on Monday the last time it was over 600, that was last Oct. My...
  • KarenMW

About 2 years with Graves Disease

I've read many posts that helped me so I decided to join. I was recently cut back on my methamazole to 2.5 mgs daily. My lesson learned is all generics are not the same. The 5mg tabs with coating are not intended to be cut. My stomach was burning. I now cut my 10 mg pills into 4 even pieces with a pill cutter. There is no line on the 5 mg and there is on the 10 mg. I found conflicting side...
  • skyskyrz

New

Hi everyone, I was just recently diagnosed with Graves Disease. I am 22. They started me on 10mg of methimazole and atenlol. I would really like to hear other people's experiences with this disease as it has me very depressed. I guess, I'm mostly worried about the weight gain after recieving treatment. I have struggled with an eating disorder all my life and I don't want to be thrown back into...
  • lillyblossom

Update on my 1 year battle with Graves

I am a 23 year old female, and I was diagnosed with Graves a year ago. This has been one of the most challenging things I have ever gone through. I had absolutely no energy to do anything. I just worked my full time job and go home and lie down. My emotions were all over the place. I was feeling very desperate and depressed. There were days I could barely move around because of how much my joints...
  • tekdurk

Graves and Gluten free

So I have been reading that if you suffer from Graves, you should not be eating Gluten.  18 years with this disease and I have never been told this by any Endo Dr that I have seen.  For a few years now, I have been suffering from inflamation and joint pain.  I stopped eating the gluten back in december and lost 16 pounds of fluids and the joint pain vanished.  Since then some has returned so...
  • SLPark

Emotional roller coaster

Hi I'm 28 years old and got diagnosed with Graves right after a miscarriage last may, which was set off by a doctor telling me I had an under active thyroid and putting me on synthroid. I tried propranolol and after a while of being on it, I couldn't move my left arm until I stopped taking the medication.  I got the radiation recently but still have all the symptoms. I've tried a stress ball for...
  • deleted_user

Lost Voice

Does anyone else have issues with losing their voice with GD? I do get frequent hoarseness in my voice or I tend to sound scratchy on some days but this morning I woke up with clearly no voice and when I eat its hard to swallow. No swollen glands, no sore throat as in a sickness, no fever, no cough nothing... Just a clear loss of voice and obviously my thyroid is inflammed because well it looks...