Graves' Disease Support Group

Graves-Basedow disease is a medical disorder that may manifest several different conditions including hyperthyroidism (over activity of thyroid hormone production), infiltrative exophthalmos (protruberance of one or both eyes and associated problems) and infiltrative dermopathy (a skin condition usually of the lower extremities). This disorder is the most common cause of hyperthyroidism.

0 Online
  • tekdurk

Graves and Gluten free

So I have been reading that if you suffer from Graves, you should not be eating Gluten.  18 years with this disease and I have never been told this by any Endo Dr that I have seen.  For a few years now, I have been suffering from inflamation and joint pain.  I stopped eating the gluten back in december and lost 16 pounds of fluids and the joint pain vanished.  Since then some has returned so...
  • Aronia

Weird stuff happening

So, I haven't seen my endocrinologist in 6 months because I had some issues. I was working too much and not taking care of myself, not taking Methimazole on time ( i was suppose to be 2.5 mg every other day) and  started feeling very hyper -   Sweating, neck swollen, hair falling out , high blood pressure, couldn't sleep and tremors. So I started taking Methimazole 5 mg and Acetyl L Carnitine...
  • kaspersue37

Graves is new to me

Hi all. I was recently diagnosed with Graves. I've been struggling with it for months. I haven't even been to work this year. My question is how do you all keep your jobs? I work in a factory and it's very fast paced and demanding. They mandate us for ten hour days and 8 hours on weekends. I am suppose to go back to work this Thursday. I applied for FMLA but my employer isn't communicating with...
  • stongerdaybyday

Graves and Dermatographism?

Hi,Something strange that I noticed coincided with the worsening of my Graves symptoms (following a pregnancy miscarriage, which I suspect may have been caused by the developing disease :( ) - a skin condition called dermatographism/dermatographia/ "writing skin". Basically, whenever I scratch my skin, even very lightly, I get an itchy, raised bump on that area, like a hive. My doctor said it...
  • lkc428

Side effects

hi just got diagnosed with overactive thyroid. My doc wants to start me on 5mg of methimazole and I am so scared. Has anyone taken this? I get headaches a lot as well.
  • roziers4

Diagnosis

I was recently diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism/Graves.  I am a 53 year old female, married, mom to two kids, 10 and 13.  They don't know about the diagnosis, only my husband does.  I am so sad and fearful about what this disease means for me and my family.  I have little energy, I've gone from already having clinical depression to being even more depressed and emotional, I have no appetite and...
  • amaravp

Graves' Rage

Hello, everyone, I'm 21 years old and was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and then was later diagnosed with graves disease. I'm scared and upset and feel completely alone. I know I'm not the first person to have graves but in my personal life, I feel like everyone could care less. I guess that has to do with the very little knowledge people have about this disease I didn't know how scary it could...
  • msmitch

When is Graves going to remission

hello, I'm new here and was so happy to discover help and advice. I was diagnosed in may2016 and it has been 8mo. In may I went to emergency with thyroid storm. I was put on 150mg PTU. 3 mo later I went to emergency room again this time I was severely HYPO... from then we changed to 50mg PTU/ day.. I have continued to be hypo. Dr has changed me to 10mg methimazole and then  to 5mg methimazole...
  • chris1326

My eyes keep swelling

I need help. Ive had graves. For about 4 yrs. My eyes keep swelling.  The tissue around my.  I look like a just went 12 rounds with mike Tyson. Im so tired of this.  Is there any help. Plz let me know my docs are useless
  • lillyblossom

Update on my 1 year battle with Graves

I am a 23 year old female, and I was diagnosed with Graves a year ago. This has been one of the most challenging things I have ever gone through. I had absolutely no energy to do anything. I just worked my full time job and go home and lie down. My emotions were all over the place. I was feeling very desperate and depressed. There were days I could barely move around because of how much my joints...
  • cpg

Leg pain?

I was diagnosed with Grave's a month back, and since then I have been taking methiamazole and propanolol 3 times a day. I suspect my levels are on the low end now, since i've been feeling pretty tired and generally out of energy. Just today I got a very strange and strong lower leg pain. It lasted a few minutes and now my leg is just sore, but it wasn't really a cramp. Was wondering if something...
  • Miche

Too Exhausted to Cook a Meal...

I am so tired all the time.  I use all my energery to maintain my full-time job.  When I get home, I don't want to cook.  I live alone.  I grab an apple or some crackers and munch on that instead of preparing a good well-balanced meal.  When I do cook, I manage to burn things because I forget about them on the stove or in the oven.  Does anyone have suggestions for me?
  • amaravp

hopeless with no control

I'm starting to see signs of Celiac. I have not made a Doctor's appointment to confirm but the pain is so unbearable I need to make one soon. I kind of hope I don't have Celiac only because I feel like I no longer have control in simple things I took for granted. Everything is happening to my body all at once and there is nothing I can do about it (let me rephrase I can do something I can eat...
  • deleted_user

Need Advice - Swelling above collar bone

Hi Everyone...its been some time since I last contributed to the message board. I have been on Methimazole since February and my levels have normalized. I was initially diagnosed with Graves, but since then, my endo said its sub acute hyperthyroidism. I go for routine check-ups with the endo, and he says it looks like I am on the right path. I started out on a dosage of 10mg per day in Feb, 5...
  • gmak1953

New here

I was hypO thyroid for decades and on medication.  about a year ago after a surgery, my labs started going hinky.  My TSH has been 0 for13 months and other labs are high too.  They did a thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin which was 5.0.  They just did a radioactive iodine scan and want to start me on Methimazole.  How many of you have been on it?  The side effects are a little unnerving to...