Dyspraxia & Apraxia Support Group

Dyspraxia is difficulty getting the body to do what we want when we want to do it. Apraxia is a neurological disorder characterized by being unable to execute or carry out learned (familiar) movements, even if the desire and physical ability is there. This group is dedicated to those coping with either aprxia or dyspraxia. Join the group to find support and get advice.

0 Online
  • anyone else had many many strange traits throught life and diiffrent stages of development? it was not talked about during my childhood, some traits left me as a child or were learnt around some like communication, retention and direction still get me daily. a panic attack made me so angrey ( bf said i was rushing and i whent mad as i felt im not rushing im unable to comprehend what you are...
  • deleted_user

Apraxia of Speech

Hello I am a graduate student and working towards becoming a speech therapist. I am doing a project that seeks the personal view of having this disorder. If you don't mind sharing I am interested in knowing what is it like to have apraxia not just personally but how it affects your family members and friends. Where have you sought help? What is it like socially or at work? Any information would...
  • 2boys4me2

NLD equals dyspraxia?

Hello;My son was recently diagnosed with Nonverbal Learning Disability and I have found no forums where I can chat with other parents of NLD kiddos or just NLD folks themselves. I've been told that in Europe, NLD is Dyspraxia and therefore I searched Dyspraxia and found this site where I can post. My 10 year old son has struggled his entire life, it seems. Fine motor tasks are extremely...
  • aseguin8

Hello,My name is Audrey. I am a graduate student in Texas and I am studying to be a speech-language pathologist. I am interested in getting a personal perspective on what it is like to live with or care for someone who has acquired apraxia of speech. If anyone would be willing to share their experiences, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much!
  • HateToFeel

How To Fit In The Work?

Hi, I'm new to the group. My 3yr-10mo old son was diagnosed this past week with "mixed receptive-expressive language disorder and apraxia of speech". We realized his speech was delayed when he was around 20 months of age, though our parents keep telling us not to worry, that boys on both sides of the family didn't speak until they were about three years old. There are a LOT of boys (uncles) in...
  • deleted_user

DD w/apraxia - how to cope?

My DD (16 months) was just diagnosed with apraxia 2 days ago. Prior to that, we were told that she has hypotonia in her lower extremeties. We are in the process of getting her evaluated by an OT for possible sensory processing disorder. I think I handled the diagnosis of hypotonia well. It hurt to know that my baby had that, but I tried to remain positive about it and not worry.We knew she...
  • deleted_user

Dyspraxia or dysgraphia?

Hi all! I am in the process of being tested for Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, and Dyspraxia. A few months ago I heard that a lot of people with Dyspraxia have difficulty holding pens/pencils. While my handwriting isn't illegible it also isn't very neat. Sometimes it's alright, but my hand starts to cram up after only a few seconds which makes it increasingly worse. If I have to write for awhile...
  • JayPP

Strange Hand Habit

Hi there, first of all i'm new to this site and very glad i found it so greetings to all of you!My whole life, ever since i can remember, i have done a strange thing with my hands where i scratch the palms or interlock the fingers and move them about. I do this when i feel some particular extreme emotions, usually excitement, sometimes anticipation or anxiety. My parents have told me that its a...
  • deleted_user

Hi I know this group looks pretty dead but I was wondering being someone who wasn't formally diagnosed if anyone here as figured ways to get around this in sports espicslly baseball or if it is possible
  • deleted_user

Dealing with Dyspraxia

I have had Dyspraxia for as long as I know, and I have no idea how to handle my insecurities, and my disability. I was wondering for help with this.
  • I am a single mom with a 5 year old, a 4 year old and a 2 year old. My 5 year old was just diagnosed with Dyspraxia, Motor Coordination Disorder and hypotonia. As a baby, she was late on all of her milestones. I seeked early intervention by 15 months due to the fact she was not talking. She had a delay and considered to be sensory affected. I'm hoping to find people on here to help me to...
  • ihavenoname

my new book due out in 2014

hey no1 understands dyspraxia apart from the people who have it so im writing a book called a day in the life in dyspraxic to raise awareness of how hard it is for a dyspraxic to live day to day life such as i struggle with laces instructions new people and places and i want people to see that just because its not all psyhical dyspraxia is a real disablity and i want people to seee it coz im sick...
  • deleted_user

Having serious issues...

I've just started a new job. Tonight will be my third night. I work night shift in a factory that assembles semi-trailers. This job requires me to drill holes in specific spots and put in bolts and use a special tool to tighten/cut off the excess of the bolt. My issue is that I'm very slow due to the fact that I am having difficulty with the small pieces and fitting the bolts into the hole of...
  • deleted_user

Leaving this group

I am thinking of leaving this group because no one seems to want to share info and ask questions about the disorder. I can't see how this group can help anyone. I have met some really nice people--Starke--I will catch up to hopefully in another group, otherwise email me to keep me posted on everything.Penny
  • This is still a common question for many parents with kids diagnosed with Autism or one of the spectrums and I found this to be the best explaination---------------------------------------------------------------------------------The term autism is used to describe individuals who have a marked difficulty with social relationships, social communication/language skills and imagination. These...