Crohn's Disease & Ulcerative Colitis Support Group

Crohn's disease is a systemic inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) of unknown cause, that results in chronic inflammation of the intestinal tract. It can affect the entire gastrointestinal tract from mouth to anus, and can also cause complications outside of the gastrointestinal tract. There is no known medical or surgical cure for Crohn's disease, but there are many medical treatments available.

0 Online

Is fiber good or bad for Crohn's?

When I was released from the hospital last September, my GI doctor told me to stay on a low fiber diet. I have been avoiding any raw vegetables, fruit and greens as well as whole grains which made for a mess of a really unhealthy diet. I started introducing raw vegetables the last couple of weeks and I'm tolerating them well. I'm having normal bathroom activities. Could eating a diet with fiber be helping out the Crohn's?

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

From my limited knowledge, I have come to understand fiber is bad when in flares or fresh out of flares. Once the healing has had some time, introduce slowly and see how it goes. ????
deleted_user
deleted_user

Sorry, I've got UC, not crohns, but I agree with aliciar. I think the golden rule is to keep away from fibre when having a flare, or just post flare. I think that includes not just raw veggies, but also cooked veggies which don't break down when digested - brocili apparently is a real no, no. Sometimes it's the things you don't think of - tomatoe seeds are not good! You don't want anything which is going to stick to a sore bowel wall and that's exactly what fibre does. The diet really is not healthy, but hopefully it's not forever! I think once you are OK and have no symptoms, you can introduce fiber again, but be careful. Hope you keep feeling well!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I am not sure about Crohns, but soluble fiber (apples, oatmeal) is what you want. Insoluble fiber can be rough on your system, even with cooked vegetables.

I am currently flaring and I am on the SC Diet (for the most part) and I recently introduced psyllium husk powder (illegal on SCD) back in my diet and it seems to help. That being said, I had read some good posts to try psyllium seed powder (not husk), so perhaps that will be next.
JeanCarlin
JeanCarlin

Rather than eating actual fiber, my Dr. told me to put Benefiber in something I eat or drink everyday, to help solidify my stools. I have trouble eating actual fiber, makes me worse. I have had UC for a year now and don't think I have ever beeen in remission. I still go 5 or 6 times a day, and that's if I am really careful what I eat, If I eat something I shouldn't, I will go as much as 10 times. If you are not having a problem eating fiber than eat it, but don't overdo it.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have Crohn's & when I am not in a flare I can handle vegetables. I always order iceberg lettuce though, I know not as good but doesn't seem to cause as many issues. Once again the lovely things about our disease is that there is not a definite answer to anything, our bodies are all different!!

I would love to sit down & devour an entire vegetable tray!! So yummy but I would definitely be heading right down to the hospital if I did such a thing!!

Good Luck to you!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I agree with most of the comments, in that during a flare it's important to avoid fiber, as you could irritate things, or worse end up with a bowel obstruction. In remission though- it really depends on whether or not you have scaring, etc.. My GI actually told me that in remission, he wants me in a moderate to high fiber diet. I find I really need to drink alot to keep things moving, but eat probably 25 to 35 grams if fiber a day. I have normal bowel movements once or twice a day. I would really recommend having a discussion with your GI before adding much fiber- if you have extensive scarring, even in remission you could obstruct.