COPD & Emphysema Support Group

COPD is a progressive disease characterized by airflow obstruction or limitation. Emphysema is characterized by loss of elasticity of the lung tissue, destruction of structures supporting the alveoli and of capillaries feeding the alveoli. Both have symptoms that include shortness of breath, among other respiratory troubles. If you are a COPD or Emphysema sufferer, join the group and find support.

1 Online
  • Neicee1

New

I was diagnosed with COPD last year but I just found out that I'm in the later stages. I quit my job so that I could get disability. Now I have no money and have to be on oxygen for properly for the rest of my life. I smoked for 41-years and now I'm paying the price. 
  • deleted_user

Chelation Therapy

Has anyone tried Chelation Therapy for their emphysema or other lung problems? I am starting it next week.
  • apollo

COPD and travel

How do I travel  by car on along trip(10 hours) by car with oxygen use of 4 lpm continous flow?
  • cakeeater54

Exacerbation and CHF

I was hospitalized for the second time in two years with an emphysema exacerbation. They said I had fluid in my lungs and gave me heavyduty Torsemide which kept me passing urine frequently. I have three doctors -- pulmonary, cardiology, and GP -- and not one of them has ever told me I had Congestive Heart Failure that could cause exacerbation or what I could do to deal with it. I was told I...
  • deleted_user

Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

I have been told that I am a candidate for LVRS, but I have had conflicting reports on quality of life afterwards, unsuccessful surgery including death due to the operation. I have moderate COPD and have been told I need oxygen or LVRS. Has anyone out there had this surgery? (Now use spireva, advair,combivent for rescue and 1 liter oxygen during exercise at pulmonary rehab)
  • VinnieTheSnake

Lung Volume Reduction Surgery

I'd like to know if anyone else is considering this surgery besides me.
  • deleted_user

My Husband Has COPD Trying to Understand

Hi to all my husband smoked for over thirty years and has not smoked in 4 years. He has COPD bad and i feel i do not know enough about the condition. I am so scared of lossing him. He has so many inhalers and a reupkeep breathing machine for when it gets bad. How can i as his wife help him not get worse and need to understand the condition better. Thank you for listening.
  • DixieMyra

Freaking out!!!

This might not be the group for me .......having my pre-op in 4 days :( lung biopsy  on the 24th!! so not sure what I have yet
  • oldretiredguy

question

Hi everyone, have had emphysema for about 9 years now still mild to moderate, had a rough patch last april after minor foot surgery, would up in Hospital for 7 days for pnuemonia. lately I have been getting sharp stabbing pains in the vicinity of the heart, its not my heart have had every test known to man to rule out heart problems, pain can be sharp or burning anyone have any siniliar issues,...
  • Vikinvictusi

Let me introduce myself....

Hi my name is Victoria, have endstage CIPD/Emphysema. I'm a single mother of 2 daughters and they are my soul. Celebrating my 5029th bday on Sat. Just trying to find some peace of mind, some understanding and acceptance. I've started isolating out of not accepting situation etc. I have so much life left in me....not ready to Sat I'm done...I'm just not done. Anyhoo, I hope to meet some humans...
  • reez

IIm new and looking for advise...

I had the filthy job of a professioal house painter for 40 year.  I was into dry wall dust, molds, pesticides, wallpaper vynal fumes...and I smoked.  Now Im paying the price, but I guess was in denial.  Ive tried a few, quite a few inhalers over the years for bad days like when people were cutting grass or spraying chemicals on their lawns, or someone was having a bon fire near by and never...
  • Bettyrunge

House time

Well,hell. Nothing from nobody.I had a really nice note from a Pat Lewis, but she never replied to my reply-- have now spent ten months in the house and am sure have lost what feeble mind I once had. Spent the winter in the house because I have emphysema and had double pneumonia three times in last five years so am terrified of flu.Then when flu season was over and I was looking forward to...
  • deleted_user

how to keep the oxygen hose from kinking

My hose has been getting worse about kinking the last couple of weeks. This morning for some reason something changed. After getting up to go to the bathroom, when I came back to bed I couldn't get my breathing to level out. It was really scary. To make a long story short, when we checked my tank it was putting out about .5 instead of 2.5.Once we got the kinks out of the hose, the oxygen...
  • jarca

one year later

Over a year later. Many frustrating messages & emails when today I get an email from DS and they found my account. Go figure. 
  • Docmend777777

Trouble swallowing pills

I have a friend of mine that has copd and Emphysema and is now having issues swallowing all size of pills.  My wife has copd and has a simular issue but not as severe.  Any suggestions?doc