COPD & Emphysema Support Group

COPD is a progressive disease characterized by airflow obstruction or limitation. Emphysema is characterized by loss of elasticity of the lung tissue, destruction of structures supporting the alveoli and of capillaries feeding the alveoli. Both have symptoms that include shortness of breath, among other respiratory troubles. If you are a COPD or Emphysema sufferer, join the group and find support.

0 Online
  • I have had emphysema for close to 10 years now; slowly increasing in severity until I can go nowhere without oxygen.  The past 15 months were really an absolute h....  I not only had this to deal with but had 7 kidney stone surgeries, 3 bouts of in-hospital pneumonia - oddly enough the doctors did not think they were caused by the emphysema but by something called Zenkers Diverticulum which is...
  • Wilemski

Scared, may have copd

Hi,  I'm J. I requested a pulmonary function test, but haven't gotten the results yet. Back in 2011 went to my regular doctor for a bad cold and he looked at me and said "I think you have copd".  I was mad and shocked and said "you can tell just by looking at me?" He did no breathing test, just a finger pulse monitor and checked my ankles. He retired so i told my new doctor what he said. He put...
  • Bettyrunge

What happened??

What ever happened to Rogersbaby ?? He was regular for awhile, then just disappeared. Hope he is ok.
  • Shus39

Introduction and Motivation

I would like to introduce myself this morning and hopefully bring a more cheerful, positive attitude to this group.     I am 78, COPD with asthma diagnosed in 1997 with emphysema. I was placed on O2 24/7 five years ago.   I was also having fainting spells also and was put on a pre seizure med which meant I had to give up driving.  My husband of 54 yrs. was good about helping out.   In 2014,...
  • Bettyrunge

Being negative

I stink. I don't understand this. I have had three showers today, all complete with hot water, soap ,shampoo, wash clothes, and back brush. I have soaked my dentures, gargled with mouth wash and applied deodorant and baby powder where applicable.It is not gas or presperation. I am not taking or drinking o r eating anything unusual. I have cut my medication back to only synthroid and oxygen.I am...
  • Bettyrunge

Sunshine

We don't seem to be getting any new members-- except Suzie sunshine here who is sad about our negativity-- and not many replies to old comments. The place to look for activity seems to be the lonely heart section. They are quite busy.
  • Bettyrunge

Book

So much for writing a book. I had been typing merrily away on my little laptop, no printer. My daughter said she could use something called a thumb drive to get the manuscript printed, I thought on her printer, attached to her computer downstairs. But I've written over twenty thousand words and she says her printer is too small for that. She thought I was going to send it to a printing company....
  • Marsh1953

Hi

My husband has had copd for about 4 years.He is on Advair and Albuterol rescue inhaler. He has only been seeing the family doc for his copd. Yesterday he went to get a DOT physical because he drives a truck locally. He passed everything on the test accept his blood pressure was too high. I checked it at home and it was high.    I was wondering if it could be pulmonary hypertension or is caused...
  • RjM

Just wanna say, relax

That's all I wanna say. There's a  heck of o lot of humanity behind us. It aint gonna change. If your're still smoking, stop. If you wander what's up, stop. I see it this way. Whether our own fault or not we've been dealt the hand. I'm ok with it. Don't get me wrong though. I'm as apprhensive (spelling again) as the next human being. Everything is ok. What we have cannot be fixed. All we can do...
  • RjM

not feelin so hot

another of those days. feel like my chest is gonna explode.
  • CarolH5

Hi my name is Carol

I am 72 Yrs and have COPD. I fell and broke my Femar in May 2016 and spent 3 weeks in rehab facility. I have seen my COPD get increasingly worse in 14 month. I need to be on oxygen 24/7 now. My husband is no help. Its so hard to walk even to the kitchen or bathroom. I'M READY TO FLY AWAY HOME NOW.
  • RjM

Hello

I'm Bob, 59 soon to be 100, and have been fighting this stuff since the days of primatene mist. Always thought it was ashma, or however it's spelled. Fact is, there's little lung left. 43 years of smoking have kicked my bottom. There's nothing can be done and I'm tired as hell. Most aggravating thing I find is those that don't, don't know. All I can think is of the old epitaph. "I was as you are"...
  • Bettyrunge

Rower

Ok, so I can't walk. This seems to be neuropathy. Even if my legs worked, I still couldn't walk because I have emphysema, too, and so can't breath either. So have gained 18 lbs in last year on 1500 calories a day. Am going to soon be one of those 600 lb monsters who have to be crane lifted to the hospital. My daughter says I need exercise. Ok. I bought a rowing machine. But the seat is only 18"...
  • Hobbes

Feeling of isolation with COPD

Anyone else feel more isolated from family and friends as COPD advances? Even my wife has stopped asking to go on visits to our children's homes and other social events. Although I have fisical limitations, everything seems to take twice as long as it use to, I'm not on oxygen.
  • Bettyrunge

Book

I'm alone a lot. I live with my daughter who is often away for a week or more. I can't leave the house alone--well, I could, but best not. I could be t-boned by a drunk while I was sitting still for a red light but somehow it would be my fault for being 88 and still driving. So I stay home. I got so tired of trying to find something on TV worth watching and something on Kendall to read that I...