Chronic Pain Support Group

Physicians and professionalsdefine pain as chronic if it lasts longer than three to six months and is persistent. It's distinct from acute pain that is a direct result of injury or trauma. This support group is dedicated to those suffering from chronic pain. Discuss treatments that have worked for you, find advice for your specific experience, and find support. You're not alone in your pain.

1 Online
1 Online

Lyrica & Gabapentin - What Dosage for Relief

For those of you who are getting good relief form nerve pain with either Gabapentin, Neurontin, or Lyrica, may I ask what dosage you were on?

I have gotten very little relief from either drug. Maybe my doses were not adequate?

Thanks and Hugs all around,
Cindy

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I was on neurotonin 2700 mgs/day and it only relieved my minor aches and pains not the bad ones.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi Cindi,

I am on the top dose of lyrica, 300 mg twice a day. I have had enormous relief but sometimes I do get a little sleepy. I was without if for a week--mail order prescription and the mail was late due to the holiday a couple of weeks ago. I just about died.

Gabapentin made me gain weight and did not control my pain the way lyrica has. The effect on my weight has been minimal.

All the best ot you, hon.

Big hugs,

Melinda
deleted_user
deleted_user

I was on 3200 mg of neurontin at one time. I have since come off of it entirely, but it worked pretty well for me.

Trileptal worked the best for the pain, however it made me too sleepy to function.

Topomax was the best of both worlds, but had to stop it too because of eye pressure problems.

T
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi Cindi,
I'm on the top dosage of Lyrica- 600mg a day. It helps a lot with my fibro pain but does nothing for the RSD pain. Lyrica doesn't work for everyone, a rheumatologist told me. I hope it helps at a higher strength for you.
I don't have any side effects from the Lyrica, which I suppose I'm lucky.
Sandy
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi,

I am on Gabapentin and I take 200 MG twice daily and it is working really well for me. I have lost weight, not gained weight. I have no other side effects either. I did let it lapse at one point and the nerve pain came back, so it is doing it's job. I am extremely grateful for the comfort it gives me.

Hugs, Cathy
deleted_user
deleted_user

I take gabapentin 100 mg a day but I just started last week. Any large dosage makes me violently sick. This drug is a beast I have to say. Hopefully I can become able to take a much higher dosage soon.

http://gabapentindosage.com/
deleted_user
deleted_user

I'm currently on 600mg of Lyrica/day. I didn't realize how much it helped until I ran out of it and was out of it for 2 days. Also, I tried to drop the dose to 475mg/day, but the pain was horrible.

I started taking it at 300mg/day, but increased it last year to my current dose.

Perhaps you can try the higher dose and it will help.
Sandy
keeska
keeska

I was up to 3600 mg/day of gabapentin and it wasn't helping so we switched to tegretol. It was a good move for me.

I hope you find that magic combination that works for you.

Hugs
jojoTx
jojoTx

Hi Cindy. I have been on Lyrica for about 3 yrs now. I am currently on 150mg twice a day. I still have really bad sciatica/nerve pain and I thought the Lyrica wasn't doing any good, so I told my dr. and tapered off. About 2 weeks later, my pain just sky-rocketed and I realized the Lyrica must have been helping to an extent. So I discussed it with my dr. and he put me back on it at the same dose. He said in about a month, we will go up to 300 mg twice a day...I think that's max dosage. I do think these type meds are dose-dependent, so you might be right in saying they may not be adequate dosages.

I've never tried Neurontin (I think same as Gabapentin). I think you should talk to your dr. about your options, but I know what helps some people, don't do a thing for another.

I hope you get some relief soon! Hugs back to you...
MaggieSavedMe
MaggieSavedMe

I take 5400 mg a day of Gabapentin and get pretty good relif from it.. I recently just called the Dr to ask if I could increase it though since my ankle is still bothering me . other wise it works pretty well for me.
noodlebg
noodlebg

Gabapentin and Neurontin are the same med, Neurotin was the previous trade name and is still used.
I'm on only 100mg 3x a day for essential tremors and pain.
I'd tried the higher dose, 300mg. 3x daily but couldn't tolerate the side effects, horrid headaches, grogginess....ended up on this low dose but it does help the tremors

I'm hyper-sensitive to side effects to almost all meds it seems, the Lyrica caused me major problems within 2 days so stopped that one.

Try to remember each person can have different benefits/reactions to any med though.
I know there are huge numbers of people that do get benefit from both of these meds and I'm in the minority...

I suggest you ask your dr. about a change in dosage....if you're not having any side effects, he may feel that is an option.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi Cndy, as you know i have been on this drug before. My aunt starts to take this drug ths week, will let you know if it helps her, love susie x
Community Leadermideyebrow
mideyebrow

I am on 300mg of gabapentin (neurontin) a day. It minimizes the acute pain spikes in my neck, lower back, and the essential tremors have almost disappeared completely from my left hand. Right hand, as soon as I do too much starts to shake still.
For my benefit, I use a stick drawing of the pain since it travels and I tried increasing the neurontin with side effects, so went back to this dosage, and at the next doctor's visit, explained what I did, and he was glad I did. (I had seen a different doctor who raised the dosage). Part of the treatment plan is learning what symptoms are the worst one(s) you need taken care of and then finding the right combination that works for you.
Best wishes.