Bipolar Disorder Support Group
Bipolar disorder is not just a single disorder, but a category of mood disorders marked by periods of abnormally high energy and euphoria, often accompanied by bouts of clinical depression. This is the place to talk about your experience with bipolar disorder, learn from others' experiences, and find support.
Anna524
My names Anastasia, I was diagnosed with BP when I was 13 years of age. I didn't really believe it but was started on many medications. I stopped taking my meds (Lamictal, Geodon, Equtro, probably spelled wrong lol) when I was 17. That's when changes happened. I move out of my parents house at 18 and went to New York. Started an old habit of drinking. Went to clubs and bars every night, there were few I always got into with friends. I slept around, Started abusing Xanax, stole from loved ones up there and would take nightly journeys by taking the train to the city. Looking back on it now, Its insane I'm still alive, there were so many nights I blacked out from mixing 4 bars and Alcohol together. There was I time I met someone guy online and invited him over and he nearly choked me out (he just said he liked that stuff). My friends would leave me to walk home alone drunk. Not to mention I could have gotten pregnant, or worse, and STD! I'm so thankful after the 8 month Manic Episode, I moved back with My parents and cleaned up. I have been on Lithium ER for about 4 months, slight change, my moods are still either Mixed or Manic, But I'm confident I will find the right dose. I also started Equetro again, I actually take it for my seizures but it will help with the BP too. I see a Therapist often for the BP and PTSD. Also a Psychiatrist. I read a lot of books about BP, Have done work sheet with my Therapist and even read books and researched on the internet. I know quite a lot now how important medication is. Though I still wonder about my future. I'm 20 years old and in college, I'm trying to find a career. My dream is to become a counselor for troubled teens like I was, but with BP, I'm scared one day I'll stop my medication again and have a freak out. I also wonder about meeting someone who understands me, having a family with BP? The biggest thing on my mind is I'll be 21 in May, I do want to be able to go out time to time and drink with friends.
I hope to meet many great people from this Group. Hope everyone is well.
I hope to meet many great people from this Group. Hope everyone is well.
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
Life has been really hard this past year. I'm really feeling down and alone. I can't talk to my family about my depression and anxiety their not very understanding about it. It's really hitting me since my mother passed a few months ago, plus stress from having to eventually move. Also having my niece coming around who suffers bipolar and refuses to take medication for it. Its been...
-
When i was in the ER February 16th 2025, i was being admitted to ICU where i was for 3 weeks, then had to relearn to walk for 3 weeks in another hospital rehab floor, the nurse told me something that made me feel for over 18 months now that i was finally *safe*. She told me that the guy who raped and beat me 21 years ago now almost 20 years at that time, was in prison as of a month before that...

HUGS
Sounds like you've done a lot of growing in the last couple of years. We all have similar stories in our pasts. Thank you for sharing with us.
You dream of one day being a teen counselor is such a great aspiration. Glad you found us!
I think you've got a pretty sound mind on your shoulders right now ....but we beepers (bipolar people ) , know that can change ! LOL!
I think as a young person, you have more peer pressure to get involved with things that might not be the best for you...I feel glad, that my Dx (diagnosis ) came later in my life .
But I feel pretty confident, if you work the program of meds , seeing your Pdoc (psychiatrist) , I think you'll be a credit to society !
Keep up the good work and welcome.
I am glad you are back on your meds and doing better. You will find help and understanding on here. I don't know what I would do if I haven't found this place. People have helped me so much. I hope you find all the help you need while you are with us.