Bell's Palsy Support Group

Bell's palsy (facial palsy) is characterised by facial drooping on the affected half, due to malfunction of the facial nerve, which controls the muscles of the face. Bell's palsy is the most common cause of acute facial nerve paralysis and affects about 40,000 people in the United States every year. Additional symptoms that may accompany the condition are pain around the ear and loss of taste.

0 Online
  • Luci3020

Hello! New Member

Hi All!I was recently diagnosed with Bell's Palsy on yesterday. I am currently taking Prednisone for the next 7 days. Right now the right side of my face is what's affected. I wear a patch over my right eye at night. It's hard to eat and drink. My jaw hurts at times and I get small headaches. They say it's temporary so I am trying to push through. Any advice you can give me would be helpful. I...
  • mmc

Bell's Palsy Sucks!

I have had Bell's Palsy for 5 weeks now.  It happened to me while I was driving to work and I freaked out thinking it was a stroke.  I was given medication, and am doing physical therapy.  Everyone tells me it will take time, we are all different.  Im just struggling with adjusting like many people have.  I have trouble in sleeping and driving with vision and dryness in my left eye, I wear...
  • dontdeservethis

Bell's Palsy and High blood pressure?

I am wondering if there is a connection between having high blood pressure and developing Bell's palsy. Does anyone else here have both conditions and maybe feel that they're related?I developed Bell's Palsy last Saturday night into Sunday morning and couldn't see the doctor until Monday morning first thing. When I went to see the doctor my blood pressure was very high and that was a first for...
  • deleted_user

Does Bell's Palsy hurt? Forever? Degree of pain

I was diagnosed with Bell's palsy two weeks ago and since then I have excruciating pain in the back of my head by the ear lower end. Is this common? Does it go away ? After how long?
  • Me35

Bells

Hello all,I was just diagnosed two days ago with BP. I was wondering if anyone else experienced jaw pain like back under the jaw bone close to the ear? It's painful and comes and goes.  More noticeable when talking. I am wondering if I should be taking time off from work or if most of you worked through it? Any advice is helpful and much appreciated. 
  • deleted_user

9 years of missing my smile :(

Hello all......I am new to this forum but not at all new to Bell's Palsy. I was first diagnosed when I was 18 & my palsy lasted for three months. After that my face was pretty much "normal" except when I was really tired. I had thought that was the end of it......it wasnt. When I was 8 months pregnant for my oldest daughter I awoke to a strange & frighteningly familar feeling-I went to the mirror...
  • dcasanova

Bells palsy

Hi, This is my second time getting Bell's palsy  the first time i had no pain but this time I'm in my 4 week and still in pain especially my head and ear so tender. Going to physical therapy and acupuncture but i know i have to be strong but i feel is i still no movement so is stressing me out even more.
  • deleted_user

Vision Problems?

Anyone else experience vision trouble in the affected eye?1/30/08 - Diagnosed and began Prednisone and Acyclovir2/1/08 - Vision began to get worse in affected eye2/2/08 - Saw an optometrist who said vision trouble was normal with Bells2/5/08 - Follow up with NP who is still concerned about vision trouble. Started second round of Prednisone at a higher dose than originally prescribed. If my...
  • deleted_user

What are the recovery signs?

I was just wondering from those of you who have recovered from bells palsy, if you could describe to me what feelings and signs you had that told you your bells palsy was going away? Is a tingling feeling during and after facial massage a good sign? What about when you push on the area by the nostril and the mouth involuntarily scowls? I would appreciate any and all comments regarding this. I...
  • Gigi123

Bell's?

Facial drooping started 4 days ago. Have had ct both with and without contrast as well as MRI and blood work. Everything looked good on all tests but I was diagnosed with TIA. I'm not convinced because only face is involved, forehead is affected and tia symptoms should not last this long. Could I have been misdiagnosed? I believe it is bell's palsy
  • Kj79

Working on it

I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy on 9/22/17.  Having been in the medical I was in denial that anything was truly wrong.  My symptoms started the weekend before with a slight headache on and off on Sunday and Monday.  It was more like a tension headache on my right side (I seem to get headaches on this side more after I had sustained a confusion over 20 years ago) so I didn't think anything of...
  • Hello everyone, I had no idea what Bell's Palsy was, until I was diagnosed with it. It started for me 5 days ago when I had my picture taken at an evening event and my smile looked stranged. I took a couple more pictures that night, and they looked okay. I was not alarmed. Through out the night I started to notice a slight tingle in my lip, and then a mild headache. It wasn't until I got home...
  • NormalBlob

Bells Palsy Recovery

Hi. I woke up one morning with Bells Palsy back in April. I am still struggling everyday. I can smile and  see the top of my teeth which is a major improvement, however, my eye is constantly irritated, red, full of drainage and mucus. I have to tape my eye close every night after putting in gel. When I don't tape my eye shut I wake up with my eye extremely dried out. I do know it's getting...
  • Jwebbmoore

When it seems completely random.

Good Morning Everyone,I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy 1 week ago from today. I had never heard of this before until then. The day before it happened, I noticed constant twitching of my left eyelid. I thought it was because I slept poorly the night before. The day before that, I remember feeling sudden shooting ear pain in my left ear, but only for a few seconds. The morning of the day I was...
  • Augie619

Bell's Palsy Pt. 2

Hi everyone. I was 14 when I was first diagnosed with Bell's Palsy. It was painful and lasted about a month. Now I am 24 and it has unfortunately returned. A couple days ago my taste buds had disappeared and later on that day, behind my left ear was in a lot of pain. I remembered these symptoms from last time and I knew what was coming. My left eye constantly waters, the left side of my face has...