Back Pain Support Group
Back pain is one of the most common reasons people seek medical care. In fact, about 3 in 4 adults will experience back pain during their lifetime! The term back pain includes pain affecting the neck, midback and low back. Acute back pain may begin suddenly with intense pain but typically lasts fewer than three months. Usually, chronic back pain is persistent, steady, and...
deleted_user
I am SOOO happy I found this group!!!
My diagnosis at surgery localized DJD, Central disc protrusion @ L1-L2 and mild-moderate spinal stenosis.
I had back surgery performed on Nov. 1, 2010 for herniated disc at L1-L2. Two months out, I was hoping that I wouldn't be having episodes of sharp- occasional severe pain. However; I am. I have noticed that some movements really "aggravate" the pain levels and I can't lift the amounts of weight I was lifting prior to surgery even with proper ergonomics. I am very restricted on the types of medications I can take due to other health issues (and medications). I was told by the physician my recovery time would be 6-8 weeks. ( I can see that was pretty much a joke).
I am really trying to avoid taking my Hydrocodone/APAP (Lortab) because I am really wanting to get back to work. Tylenol does help, to a certain extent. Unfortunately I had to resign (forced) from my job prior to surgery because I had been there less than 90 days (I really got the raw end of the stick, so to speak). So I have to go through the whole drug screening process all over again.
I have called my Neurosurgeon for refills on my Robaxin, with no success. Apparently I am going to have to show up on their door step to get any results with that.
I want to know is it normal to still have this (the sharp-severe pain)? What did you do to help ease the pain and will this ever get better?
I am a nurse, however; I normally don't get to deal with back surgery patients. Most of the patients I deal with are geriatric, Alzheimers, hip/ knee replacements...ect. I am tired of asking doctors, I want the straight up truth from those who have experienced it.
My diagnosis at surgery localized DJD, Central disc protrusion @ L1-L2 and mild-moderate spinal stenosis.
I had back surgery performed on Nov. 1, 2010 for herniated disc at L1-L2. Two months out, I was hoping that I wouldn't be having episodes of sharp- occasional severe pain. However; I am. I have noticed that some movements really "aggravate" the pain levels and I can't lift the amounts of weight I was lifting prior to surgery even with proper ergonomics. I am very restricted on the types of medications I can take due to other health issues (and medications). I was told by the physician my recovery time would be 6-8 weeks. ( I can see that was pretty much a joke).
I am really trying to avoid taking my Hydrocodone/APAP (Lortab) because I am really wanting to get back to work. Tylenol does help, to a certain extent. Unfortunately I had to resign (forced) from my job prior to surgery because I had been there less than 90 days (I really got the raw end of the stick, so to speak). So I have to go through the whole drug screening process all over again.
I have called my Neurosurgeon for refills on my Robaxin, with no success. Apparently I am going to have to show up on their door step to get any results with that.
I want to know is it normal to still have this (the sharp-severe pain)? What did you do to help ease the pain and will this ever get better?
I am a nurse, however; I normally don't get to deal with back surgery patients. Most of the patients I deal with are geriatric, Alzheimers, hip/ knee replacements...ect. I am tired of asking doctors, I want the straight up truth from those who have experienced it.
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
Is anyone here allergic to Sulfa that is currently taking Diamox? I have been diagnosed with IH now for almost 2 years. I am allergic to Sulfa drugs meaning that my throat will swell up so my Neurologist put me on Topamax. I was suffering from major loud whoosing noises and the topamax helped that but everyday I still hear those mainly between 6 - 12 pm. I am at my wits end and have not went...
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
Your Doctor obviously lie to you, the recovery on almost every spinla surgery is from 6 months to a year, and is almost always a year. Since in a Discectomy the surgeon only removes the protruding disc out, you have a higher chance to re-herniate, most people that reherniate do it within weeks from surgery. Did he have you on no BLT restrictions? No BLT = bending, lifting, twisting, the reason that I ask is because you mention that you can not lift as much as you did before.... I was told to not lift anything beyond 5 Lbs. for about 8 months, so be careful with that!
It does not surprise me that you are still in pain, surgery only takes care of the structural part of the spine, it does not take the pain away. If I was you I would try to get a CT or MRI to see why you are having this kind of pain, and try to do it sooner than later.
Take care and I hope that you can get some answers soon!
Immediately following my surgery, I was no BLT with maximum weight of 5 pounds. The night of my surgery I was up walking.
I am afraid to return to work full-time. I am afraid it would be too much. There is a lot BLT, standing for 4+ hours...lifting (helping the CNA's) residents/ patients, pushing items.....Nursing is a very physical job.
When you have spinal surgery you are never the same. Your back will ALWAYS be weaker than before, and your chances of injuring it again are way UP there. In fact, you can count on needing surgery again in probably another year or two. My advice is DO NOT HAVE ANY MORE SURGERY unless the spinal cord is being impinged. If you do, you will continue to need surgery over and over and over.
Your best bet is to see a pain management specialist - he can give you more options for pain relief. There are many procedures that can be done (minimally invasive) to ease your pain.
Don't expect to be pain free. Your doctor should have told you that your pain will NOT be fixed by surgery. It can't be. Surgery only corrects mechanical problems. If you happen to get pain relief it's only a fluke and it's temporary. Your chances of your pain being permanent are quite high. You MIGHT get better as time goes on, but its hard to say right now.
I wish you the best of luck. Please get a referral to pain management. You'll be glad you did. And I doubt you'll be able to nurse the geriatric population anymore -- you won't be able to lift them. No way. God bless and take care. Hugs, Lee