Amnesia Support Group

Amnesia (or amnaesia) is a condition in which memory is disturbed. The causes of amnesia are organic or functional. Organic causes include damage to the brain, through trauma or disease, or use of certain (generally sedative) drugs. Functional causes are psychological factors, such as defense mechanisms. Hysterical post-traumatic amnesia is an example of this. Amnesia may also be spontaneous.

0 Online
0 Online
  • mke017

A year gone

I woke up from the hospital not knowing where I was. I thought I got into some kind of car accident. They got no medical reason how or why I lost my memories of a year. I was admitted to the hospital weeks before I woke up for Severe Depression. One day I just woke up not feeling any depress or not remembering anything about why I was there. My brain completely erased the memory I met my first...
  • larrainevalientes

Memory loss amnesia

My life is a mystery and i can be frustrating at times trying to remember your life. They dont know what causing me memory loss. I have been having problemms with memmory for 2 years now but it wasnt as severe. From whay i was told it was it was mostly showterm memmory now its long term memmeory thats effected.any insite or comments
  • Dad was the one who noticed my forgetfulness so, after an initial consultation and some Neuropsychology tests, I've been sent a copy of the report. Apparently my memory is low and my 'attention and processing efficiently were extremely low. However, the "test of effort was not passed" and this could make the other results invalid. I'm just wondering, does anyone know what the "test of effort"...
  • MaryBeth61

Transient Global Amnesia

Hello.Thursday night I was taken to the emergency room at the the hospital by my friend. And spent about 24 hours there. I was diagnosed with Transient Global Amnesia. I was interested in hearing any stories of anyone who have also been diagnosed with this.Thank you.Mary Beth
  • cjpendragon

Memory Loss

I'm getting a little worried. Lately I've been moody and angry and depressed all the time, and while my memory has always been bad it seems to be getting worse. I've always been a light sleeper but now I'm sleeping through alarms, my kids waking up, etc. For four years I have never not woken up to get my husband ready for work. I just woke up panicked thinking I let my brother over sleep, but I...
  • sunnyfan

Coping with Amnesia/memory loss

I've been suffering with amnesia for about 10 months. I've sustained several concussions due to falls from contraindicated meds for migraine and depression. I'm suffering emotionally because the last 13 years of my life are missing, watching my 13 and 16 year old grow up. I'm suffering and could use some reassurance that someday, I'll be able to cope.
  • deleted_user

My story

I'm not the best at talking about my problems, and I really hate that I'm coming to a message board where nobody knows me, but, right now, I honestly don't know where else to go. I'm going to try to keep this as short as possible, so bear with me. Three months ago, I celebrated my eighteenth birthday. Two weeks later, I fell into a deep depression that eventually lead to me overdosing heavily on...
  • deleted_user

Functional Retrograde Amnesia

Hi I am trying to investigate what it is like living with retrograde amnesia that is caused by a traumatic event rather than brain injury.I'd like to know how long retrograde amnesia can last for and how much of your life can be lost. i.e. Can you lose twenty years of your past?I was also wondering about day-to-day living with retrograde amnesia. Are your present day memories affected as well?Any...
  • a246

Trouble after recovering from amnesia

Hi I'm new here.I had a heavy concussion that resulted in amnesia. The amnesia lasted until I recovered 5 years later. Despite reaching this apparent 'recovery' I've since developed a lot of other issues which I didn't have before recovering. This includes serious thyroid problems and a number of other VERY unsettling symptoms.I am detirmined to find out what is causing the problems because I...
  • sunnyfan

Amnesia

I've was diagnosed with retrograde amnesia in May due to a brain injury. I vaguely remember the last 13 years of my life which include raising my two teenagers. I'm suffering as I feel a part of me is permanently gone. I've started therapy to help cope. It isn't helping yet. I was wondering if anyone has felt the same way and what they did to cope. I look at my two children and feel like I...
  • My fiance had brain surgery 4 months ago to stop seizures and came out with retrograde amnesia. (They took out his left temporal lobe, hippocampus, and amygdala) He knew who I was, but has no memories of asking to marry me, or anything we have done or said in our last 10 years, except for a very few non important memories. He says the surgery changed him and he has no desire to be in a...
  • PsychoPenguin

Need Advice

Recently I've been forgetting things. I'd be sitting there and thinking to myself that I should of done something or should be remembering something but I just can't think of what it was.Also today I was talking to my nephew and explaining to him that he needed to eat a sausage roll, however for a number of seconds I couldn't remember what it was called. It was there in front of me but I was...
  • deleted_user

Remembering and feeling alone

I had amnesia for about 30 years connected mostly to specific people whom I never remembered although they were everywhere I went. The amnesia happened due to witnessing a murder (connected to the family in question) and being given a drug that causes confusion so I wouldn't tell. I've been remembering since last September, as a result of a big life change (having a child) and having been...
  • deleted_user

amnesia and marriage

Anyone else out there who has experienced this?I can't remember dating and falling in love with my husband. It's heartbreaking.- - -More of the story: our marriage fell apart. There were many factors, including a shift in our normal 'husband-and-wife' roles as he became my caretaker and I was more of his patient. My depression is treatment resistant and disabling. Last year at this time I was...
  • monilynn

Time doesn't move the same anymore

I have trouble remembering "yesterday" as a result from a car accident which gave me a brain injury in 2008. For example: If I went to the zoo a month ago I couldn't have told you it ever happened the day after, but now that some time has passed I can remember bits and pieces of the day. I rely on triggers to bring back memories, like seeing a picture of an elephant or bits of conversation or...