Alcoholism Support Group
Alcoholism is the continued consumption of alcoholic beverages, even when it is negatively affecting your health, work, relationships and life. If you think alcohol is causing you to lose control, it's time to seek help. Our group is a safe place to vent, check in, get back up if you fall, and reach sobriety.
Ashley8888
The one thing I can not seem to get about AA is that they call alcoholism a "disease"... I do not understand that...
Cancer is a disease, a doctor can detect it and prescribe drugs and treatment to hopfully cure you!!!
I believe the things that AA say about being ppowerless and such but to call it a disease seems to me to be giveing the alcoholic an excuse as why they sis they things they did....We CHOSE to continue to drink because we were sick yes, but not a disease...
sorry, really just looking for others views on the too
I plan to ask my sponser soon but I dont want her to think I am knocking AA, I am not, I just do not understand and honestly I want to get it just not sure if I can accept the term "disease"
Thanks all
Ashley
Cancer is a disease, a doctor can detect it and prescribe drugs and treatment to hopfully cure you!!!
I believe the things that AA say about being ppowerless and such but to call it a disease seems to me to be giveing the alcoholic an excuse as why they sis they things they did....We CHOSE to continue to drink because we were sick yes, but not a disease...
sorry, really just looking for others views on the too
I plan to ask my sponser soon but I dont want her to think I am knocking AA, I am not, I just do not understand and honestly I want to get it just not sure if I can accept the term "disease"
Thanks all
Ashley
deleted_user
A neat little search engine for those that want it: http://www.whytehouse.com/big_book_search/search1.asp
donttread
Ashley, many diseases are chronic amnd most require cooperation and even behavior change to live with. Like diabetes for example.
deleted_user
Why not just think of it as a disease so you can get treated and insurance will pay for it. In your gut-think of it how you want. It really doesn't matter now as long as you know you have to stop drinking.
Join the Conversation
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...