Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML) Support Group

Acute myelogenous leukemia (AML), also known as acute myeloid leukemia, is a cancer of the myeloid line of blood cells. Patients with AML usually present with symptoms such as fatigue, bleeding, infection, prompting medical attention. An abnormal blood test reading will then result in further testing in a hospital with a hematologist to determine AML.

1 Online
  • gelder

53 y/o Sister Diagnosed with AML

My sister was diagnostic 2 weeks ago with AML. Our family is so confused. She is going through induction chemotherapy and is actually feeling and looking better. Please tell me something positive!!
  • CajunGirl2015

Prayers needed for Jo

Well Jo was into what we hoped would be her last 6 months of chemo but she has now broken out with shingles.  She had just finished her last round of chemo so her white count is really low.  They let her try one night at home on pain meds and antibiotics but she is now headed back to the doctor because it is worse and hurts worse.  She will probably be admitted to the hospital so that they can...
  • deleted_user

Alternative treatments for AML?

Let me first say that I am not a doctor, nor an I am giving any medical advice. I am a daughter who loves her father very much and we, as a team, are doing everything we can to help my dad get through this.Another member here suggested I start this thread as we have been corresponding through email for months and he thought we should share all of our knowledge and experiences so that others may...
  • Noodle65

Praising God for Platelets!!! And everything else

I had my three month post remission labs and clinic visit today and the results could not have been better-praise God!!! My platelets are 99-higher than they have been since DX on March 22 2013-they were 98. My WBC is 4.6. ANC 3.2 and HCT 38!!!!! I cried like a baby. This has been the hardest 13 months of my life and I would not wish AML on anyone. But if I'm being completely honest, I...
  • NYCgirl

Father has AML/opted for no treatment

Hello,I've been reading the boards for a while and have finally decided to post. My father was dx with AML back in late June 2016. After visiting the hematologist for about 6 months due to CBC that showed low counts across the board, he was given a BMB (my dad also has stage 1 bladder cancer and Parkinson's) that confirmed the worst. My father is 76 years and because of the BC and Parkinson's,...
  • hnshuman

Girlfriend of an AML Patient

My boyfriend was diagnosed with AML on January 3rd, 2017 - so we are new to this community. For those of you who have time to read this I am going to try my best to describe our experience thus far and hopefully someone will have some advice to give me. If you have any questions please feel free to ask, as there is a lot of information we have obtained in a short period of time and it is easy for...
  • worriedmom2014

Jeremy

I thought I would give an update on Jeremy. Yesterday was 18 months post SCT for him and he is doing well. He is off all meds except an antiviral as his whites are still lower than normal by .02.He and his wife are planning their first vacation and looking forward to getting away for a few days.He has 16 months left on his ped psych fellowship and really looking forward to helping children in...
  • bede

Remission and starting Dacogen

i completed induction and HiDAC therapy 12/22/16. My oncologist recommend starting a maintenance program if Dacogen for one year, as I have AML with an abnormal chromosome and 2 mutations.  This program was sanctioned by a 2nd opinion at MD Anderson.  Does anyone know what to expect?   I am told that I will tolerate well.  My counts are all good and I feel good. Bede
  • mupatient

Induction blood counts

Hello everyone I'm a 35 yr old male who just recently got diagnosed with aml. I had induction chemo and finished on January 6 2017 I had some complications like sweet syndrome a couple picc lines go bad. It's now February 3 2017 and my blood counts haven't recovered. I've been getting platelet transfusions every day now every other day. Once in awhile I get red blood. My WBC was down until they...
  • cresbao

Prayers to all

My love and prayers to all who have experienced AML and for their weary families. May God bless you and give you strength in these times. -from an ex-hematology nurse who cares deeply.
  • LindasDaughter

Rest In Peace beautiful Mommy

Hi I updated my previous post.  Here is my mom's obituary. I tried to capture her spirit.  Many prayers and best wishes to all of you fighting this disease or caring for loved ones with it. http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/providence/obituary.aspx?n=linda-filippi-brancucci-howey&pid=183269193&referrer=0&preview=True
  • VietVetDad

My dad, 66, was diagnosed with AML a week ago...

My father was exposed to agent orange while deployed with the army in Vietnam. This is what the doctors believe to be the cause of the MDS that went untreated apparently and became AML. His CBC has shown platete counts around 50K since April and he was assumed to have a low vitamin b sent home with a prescription for vitamin b by his VA primary. it wasnt until he had a routine colonoscopy that...
  • daolf

Sister diagnosed on Friday with AML

Hi, i found daily strength this weekend and am grateful for all the posts i have been reading. It has been so immensely helpful planning for / preparing for what is to come with her induction and ongoing treatment. so thank you!  My sister started her induction yesterday and they think it'll be a 28 day stay. She went into the hospital completely healthy (haha) except for the AML.  But...
  • jeffstang

Beginning stages

Hello everyone, my husband has just been diagnoised with AML the week before Christmas.  We are very new to this.  I have no clue what we are in for.  He is 77 years old.  This diagnoses was a complete shock!!  He was diagnosed on a Friday and on Monday he was started on chemo.  So far he has received two transfushions of blood and platelets.  They said he has a 65% chance of remission....
  • deleted_user

Plavix And AML

Is there a connection between Plavix and AML? I have read online that Plavix can cause bone marrow damage and over time cause AML. So, I am wondering if there are other Plavix patients that have Leukemia. My father has been on Plavix for over 3 years and was diagnosed on 2/10/2012 with AML M6. Thank you!Silvana