Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML) Support Group

Acute myelogenous leukemia (AML), also known as acute myeloid leukemia, is a cancer of the myeloid line of blood cells. Patients with AML usually present with symptoms such as fatigue, bleeding, infection, prompting medical attention. An abnormal blood test reading will then result in further testing in a hospital with a hematologist to determine AML.

0 Online
  • deleted_user

Alternative treatments for AML?

Let me first say that I am not a doctor, nor an I am giving any medical advice. I am a daughter who loves her father very much and we, as a team, are doing everything we can to help my dad get through this.Another member here suggested I start this thread as we have been corresponding through email for months and he thought we should share all of our knowledge and experiences so that others may...
  • Noodle65

Transplant Team 2016

Dear All,I am praising almighty God for the cure provided by SCT for Andy and John. We have some mighty warriors getting ready to travel the path forged by so many. Tammy from Chicago and Ev from Arkansas we are all pulling for you!!!Blessings,Julie
  • Noodle65

Praising God for Platelets!!! And everything else

I had my three month post remission labs and clinic visit today and the results could not have been better-praise God!!! My platelets are 99-higher than they have been since DX on March 22 2013-they were 98. My WBC is 4.6. ANC 3.2 and HCT 38!!!!! I cried like a baby. This has been the hardest 13 months of my life and I would not wish AML on anyone. But if I'm being completely honest, I...
  • gelder

53 y/o Sister Diagnosed with AML

My sister was diagnostic 2 weeks ago with AML. Our family is so confused. She is going through induction chemotherapy and is actually feeling and looking better. Please tell me something positive!!
  • TwoBoyz

Cliff?

Hi friends,I know that the new format has chased a lot of people away.  Can't say I blame them, the new format is not the most user friendly.  I hope he doesn't mind me asking, but Iwas wondering if anyone has heard from Cliff?  He was such a wealth of information and a great support to me when I was going through this ordeal with my father.  I think of him often and miss seeing his posts....
  • mariusk

Prognosis for AML

Hello,My name is Marius and I currently live across the ocean from my mother, who was diagnosed with AML 6 weeks ago. I am flying out to be with her for the next month (at least) next week. In the meantime, my mom isn't telling me much. Here's what I know: she was diagnosed with a type of AML that does not benefit from treatment (she is 65 years old with other health issues going on, so doctors...
  • mupatient

Questions About Leukemia

I was first told I had MDS, however when I got my first bone marrow i was told I had AML and started induction chemo, which later my bone marrow wasnt all the way healed and they done BMB again and it was inclusive. So After getting out of the hospital and counts started going in the right direction, they gave me to another doctor, and he had another BMB done to find out if the blast were gone....
  • lakelight

New to AML; Acute monocytic leukemia (M5)

My dad (65) is in his second day of 7+3 induction chemotherapy. He has Acute monocytic leukemia (M5).It has all come so fast.  I am very worried...Does anyone have any thoughts or guidance regarding this subtype?Thank you very much...
  • CajunGirl2015

Prayers needed for Jo

Well Jo was into what we hoped would be her last 6 months of chemo but she has now broken out with shingles.  She had just finished her last round of chemo so her white count is really low.  They let her try one night at home on pain meds and antibiotics but she is now headed back to the doctor because it is worse and hurts worse.  She will probably be admitted to the hospital so that they can...
  • NYCgirl

Father has AML/opted for no treatment

Hello,I've been reading the boards for a while and have finally decided to post. My father was dx with AML back in late June 2016. After visiting the hematologist for about 6 months due to CBC that showed low counts across the board, he was given a BMB (my dad also has stage 1 bladder cancer and Parkinson's) that confirmed the worst. My father is 76 years and because of the BC and Parkinson's,...
  • hnshuman

Girlfriend of an AML Patient

My boyfriend was diagnosed with AML on January 3rd, 2017 - so we are new to this community. For those of you who have time to read this I am going to try my best to describe our experience thus far and hopefully someone will have some advice to give me. If you have any questions please feel free to ask, as there is a lot of information we have obtained in a short period of time and it is easy for...
  • worriedmom2014

Jeremy

I thought I would give an update on Jeremy. Yesterday was 18 months post SCT for him and he is doing well. He is off all meds except an antiviral as his whites are still lower than normal by .02.He and his wife are planning their first vacation and looking forward to getting away for a few days.He has 16 months left on his ped psych fellowship and really looking forward to helping children in...
  • bede

Remission and starting Dacogen

i completed induction and HiDAC therapy 12/22/16. My oncologist recommend starting a maintenance program if Dacogen for one year, as I have AML with an abnormal chromosome and 2 mutations.  This program was sanctioned by a 2nd opinion at MD Anderson.  Does anyone know what to expect?   I am told that I will tolerate well.  My counts are all good and I feel good. Bede
  • mupatient

Induction blood counts

Hello everyone I'm a 35 yr old male who just recently got diagnosed with aml. I had induction chemo and finished on January 6 2017 I had some complications like sweet syndrome a couple picc lines go bad. It's now February 3 2017 and my blood counts haven't recovered. I've been getting platelet transfusions every day now every other day. Once in awhile I get red blood. My WBC was down until they...
  • cresbao

Prayers to all

My love and prayers to all who have experienced AML and for their weary families. May God bless you and give you strength in these times. -from an ex-hematology nurse who cares deeply.