Acromegaly Support Group

Acromegaly (from Greek akros "high" and megas "large" - extremities enlargement) is a hormonal disorder that results when the pituitary gland produces excess growth hormone (hGH). Acromegaly most commonly affects middle-aged adults and can result in serious illness and premature death. Join the group to discuss symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments.

0 Online
  • dailymail

High IGF - but near normal suppression on OGGT\GH?

Hi there, just joined after reading an old post as I researched. In the past 2 years I have been experiencing uncharacteristic weight gain (nearly 7 kilos in the last 2 -3 years) despite no changes in my diet or general activity- also, crippling fatigue, increased hirsutism, sweating and extreme heat sensitivity, some carpal tunnel, anxiety like attacks (never had anxiety before) with tachycardia...
  • alecat67

Newbies, don't be discouraged.

Hi  For anyone new joining and just being diagnosed there is light at the end of the tunnel!    Following surgery in November to remove a 12mm GH secreting pituitary tumour I had my main follow up's yesterday.   The inital presentation had been through heart failure leading to excessive high BP and fluid flooding my lungs, the  left ventricle  heart walls were extremely thickened meaning...
  • notfeelingthis

Here I go again..

Never in a million years would I have thought I would be joing a support group. Not that I am above it, I just have always been able to handle whatever life has thrown at me. Feb 2015 I was first diganosed with Acromegaly , surgery was April 2015. In 2 weeks I will be having my second surgery due to it growing back and my IGF-1 levels extremely high again. This time seems so much harder then the...
  • faith-hope-joy

yayyy !

Dr appointment went ace today new dr ,ace dr !has actually started to restore my faith in them . The last one I saw was so mean and cruel and accused me of making it up horrible horrible man .The sad thing is he wasn't the first to do that ! I was in tears even before this one cause I was sure I was doomed to be ignored again, (nearly didn't go ) but I wasn't !. It actually turns out that my...
  • agim

Hunger

Can anyone tell me you still get hunger urges to eat like before surgery?
  • agim

Diabetes versus bypass or sleeve

Could someone please advise if sleeve process will eliminate diabetes ? Or should I go with bypass?
  • agim

diabetes

did the bypass eleminate all diabetes meds
  • faith-hope-joy

Feel defeated

ok so went for follow up appointment with doctor arsehole again today my IgF1 was normal again I had to fight kick scream argue cry they're doing a oggt 'just for me " arse he still doesn't believe me got a fair amount of eye rolls and disbelieving looks when explaining symptoms As usual ! The other dr there said my symptoms are of gh excess so I can't possibly have these symptoms because my...
  • spiegal

Plenedren

Hi, is anyone changed over to plenedren ? Better worse - my daughter has just been put on this and feels sooo much better than when on standard hydrocortisone
  • zippy62

Controlled but still dealing with headaches .....

After diagnosis of acromegaly I underwent transsphenoidal surgery.  My IGF1 levels nomalized for a while, but started to climb and I was started on medication (lanreotide and cabergoline).  At that time I began having headaches which were initially thought to be related to medication.  My doctors reviewed the options, and based on the location of the remnants of the tumor a second surgery was...
  • faith-hope-joy

Pains in legs ?

I ve noticed of late I've been getting a lot of pains in my legs I noticed I would get this in my arms too a while back but but it was only occasional nothing much but lately I get loads of pains in my legs i get muscle weakness and pain in these areas to is this an acro thing ? I know weakness can be but shooting leg pains ? At night I sometimes get restless legs very annoying I had that with my...
  • faith-hope-joy

turmeric curcumin ?

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Marcelo_Perone2/publication/26785865_Curcumin_acts_as_anti-tumorigenic_and_hormone-suppressive_agent_in_murine_and_human_pituitary_tumour_cells_in_vitro_and_in_vivo/links/56abd07808ae19a3851156e7.pdfit was actually a friend that advised me about this , I'm sure some have you have tried this ,anyone had any positive results I am willing to try anything at all...
  • Vikki1570

Anyone reply plss

Hai all i had surgery 1 year before nd mri revealed still tumor left of 1cm nd my endo have suggested cyber knife radiotheraphy have anyone been treated with that how long does it take to effect and fully cure and weight gain has been my major issue when it will settle or reduce??
  • alecat67

Post Operative success

Hi GuysJust spoke to my endocrinologist post my operation on 1 Nov, there is light at the end of the tunnel!!   Was diagnosed with severe heart damage in April which it was decided was caused by Acromegaly.  We then found a wee 12mm tumour on the pituitary.   The heart damage precluded operating early so was given sandostatin for 4 months prior to operation on 1 Nov.   During the...
  • https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/multiple-endocrine-neoplasiaHi Many of the posts on this forum appear to be from people wh have been experiencing a very different presentation of Acromegaly than myself.   I appear to have have had only simple growth hormone  based changes from my recently departed pituitary tumour;  bone structure change and soft tissue expansion, damaged heart etc.  None...