Widows & Widowers Support Group
This community is dedicated to those who have lost a husband, wife, or partner. Anything is open for discussion here, with the hope that we can focus on grief, bereavement, life after loss, and continuing on after a great loss.
FM0528
A couple weeks after Brad passed we took all of his clothes out of the closet and dresser, mainly because our bedroom closet is the size of a coat closet and my clothes had been in another room. It was hard, but I sucked it up and did it anyways. Once we bagged up all his clothes we took them to the living room ready to be donated. Those bags have not left that spot in over 5 months. This weekend my mother was over and I was going to have to run an errand. She asked if while I was gone she could take them to Goodwill down the street. I hesitated for a moment but said yes as long as I wasn't there. Well that didn't end up happening. And now there is talk of my stepdaughter coming over to get some of her things that are here and I worry if seeing his clothes there will upset her. So today I once again thought about taking them to be donated and I started to panic. I don't want them gone, its almost like I want to unpack them all and put them back in the drawers. I guess I feel like as long as his clothes are still here, he's still here. Even though I know that they are just material things and that even if his clothes are gone, he's still with me. I still haven't moved anything of his in the bathroom. Tooth brush is still in the holder, his shampoo and body wash hasn't been touched, and his razors are still in the shower. My house is a mess and has so much clutter, I am just now getting to the point to where I care. But I still go into a breakdown when I think about getting rid of his things. I'm sure this is normal, but it feels so crazy!
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
I agree with Sharon, think about just moving those bag or bags to a place private, maybe like your closet or your bedroom out of your way. It's not like you have to unpack it if you dot want to honey, but having it there in the place where all the visitors come will just be better for YOU never mind anyone else. I understand and commend you for being thoughtful of your stepdaughter, but you do whatever you need to. Try this if you want to honey....(this is what I did and it worked for me)...stand there, look at the bag(s) ask yourself out loud "What do YOU want to do?" Do the very first thing that pops into your head. If nothing comes keep asking yourself out loud. My thoughts were this..I needed to talk to myself I needed to encourage myself so..as crazy as it sounds I did. I had five kids depending on me to keep going, I still do, it's seven months today, and I needed to be my friend. When I did what was right for me, I told him out loud what I was doing. I put my baby's things in a plastic storage bin then I made my closet mine. I heard him say in my head "Baby I'm in heaven I don't need or want those clothes anymore, stop worrying." Then I called my friend who sews and she agreed to make blankets out of his clothing, what we would choose, whenever the time was right for me. They're still in the plastic bin, as it's not right yet for me. My closet is mine, the drawers are mine and I have absolutely no guilt, once I acknowledged myself and my own pain I moved forward and past it now I never think about it, not until now and I feel great telling you about it.
I hope it's alright that I shared so much with you, I hope and pray you weren't offended and that I worded this respectfully.
It's alright honey, it's alright you do what you can in your own way.
Please message me anytime.
With love,
Cindy
Do what you need to do. Don't feel guilty or pressured. All in good time.
Hugs,
Nancy
My daughter, sister, and my wife's sisters came over and removed the stuff from the two bedrooms ( lol, she used all of two closets - my stuff is in a third bedroom closet ). They took some things for themselves and we donated the rest to charity. Of course I kept some of her special things - just brought a smile when I look at them ( story with each one ).
However, when our daughter died 18 years ago, her bedroom is in the basement. We never removed any of her stuff - we still have her cheerleading uniform hanging up in the closet.
So do what you need to do, the rules are dat there ain't no rules :)
Bob
It has been 10 months and I am cryng my eyes out right now remembering he will never be coming home again.
I guess looking back it was a blessing that I had to do it right away, it kept me from having to think about it too much.
I did save all his leathers, we ride motorcycle, I was folding them up to put them in his saddle bags and for the first time I was over come with sorrow and buried my face in his jacket and cried until I couldn't cry any more. This was the first time I had the urge to bury my face in something of his.
Sorry for rambling.
Hugs, Sandi
Since then, I've learned that the "memory bear" is a popular thing. There are patterns available online, along with suggestions on how to make the bear.
I'm actually thinking of making one. Maybe that's something you could do, too.