Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling) Support Group

Impulsive control disorder is the inability to resist an urge, temptation, or impulse, even when it may cause negative effects to the self or to others. If you or a loved one suffers from impulsive contorl disorder, join the community to find support and share your challenges with others who know what you're going through.

1 Online

Wearing a wig for trich

Hi everyone,
I don't really know what the structure of these discussions is supposed to be, but I wanted to talk about wearing wigs and having trich. I've worn a wig for about 7 years now, as it got too embarrassing to have huge bald patches in some areas and thick hair in others. I've had trich for about 10 years now, just for some background. When I first started wearing a wig, I would wear it at school but not for sports (for fear of it falling off) and I felt like I was living some double life. After wearing a wig for so long, it's basically a part of me now, and it helps with pulling except when I take it off at night and pull if I'm stressed. The only thing is, sometimes when people ask about my hair, I don't want to tell them that its a wig, because Im embarrassed, but I feel like I'm lying to them. I also fear that future partner might not take the whole wig thing well. Has anybody had similar issues? How do you deal with feeling guilty? Sorry for the long rant, needed to get that off my chest!

Replies

Trickster2011
Trickster2011

I think a lot of us have been through similar situations and I know I have. I have lied to people who had the audacity to ask if I was wearing a wig. I would never be so rude as to ask someone that. Do not feel guilty about it. They are the ones who should feel guilty, for being so rude.
Just keep coming to the forum here where you will find support and understanding.
Don't worry about a future partner who does not even exist yet. Concentrate on today, just one day at a time.
steppingstones22
steppingstones22

Thanks for sharing and for the advice! :)
Trickster2011
Trickster2011

You are welcome :)
tcoop117
tcoop117

hey! i'm new to this site.

I wear a wig, and it helps give me time to grow out my natural hair because i shaved it down.

1) its a human hair wig, and i bought it...so its mine! :P
2)i've had a boyfriend for over a year now, we don't live together but we havesleepovers pretty often and its never been a problem
you just gotta add bobby pins to keep it secure, or get a wig with clips on the side..or glue if you really need it

3) i used to feel guilty to. but i got over it when i realized i was doing whAT was best for me. i wear a lace front wig and everyone assumes that its my natural hair
wear it with confidence!
GayleWall
GayleWall

Hi there. One of my close friends also faces the same issue. She lost her hair because of some illness. Everyone is now aware of the fact that she wears a wig. I think, you should not be embarrassed of wearing a wig. There is not bad about wearing hair extensions. My friend buy wigs online from various online stores like Amazon, http://www.ehairwig.com/index.php/on-sale/hot-wig.html , Walmart and Snapdeal.
trichymom
trichymom

I've had a similar experience. I paid over $1,000 to get professional extensions put in my hair. Nobody understood WHY I would spend that much money on a "cosmetic". I maxed out my credit cards and put myself in, by the end, $3,000 worth of debt for these extensions. I would go to any extent to hide my bald spots. Eventually, I did have to get them removed. I ran out of money. But every time someone would ask me about them, I would be so embarrassed to tell them about it. But I didn't want to lie, so I told them the truth and then the responses I received were so judgemental that I started lying anyway. Everyone said I was stupid for spending that much money. But they didn't understand WHY I got them. It wasn't because I wanted prettier hair, longer hair, thicker hair, etc. it's because I wanted to be able to wear my hair down and look normal. But people don't understand what they don't experience. My feelings were more "ashamed" than they were guilty. But to get through it I surrounded myself with my best friends who loved me no matter what the circumstances. It really did help. And as far as the significant other... well after 14 years of pulling I've realized people don't actually care about it if they are a genually good person. Actually I've never had a problem with because rejected because of it. My fiancé accepts it as part of me and he loves me despite all my flaws. Why would you want to be with anything less? If they can't accept your disorder then you shouldn't accept them
superstrong
superstrong

Hi, all you amazing, strong ppl with trich! i've been looking for support, and i hope i found the right place! i'm a 17 yr old teen girl. i've suffered from anxiety/emotional problems for as long as i can remember....i am not sure exactly when the pulling and picking began, but i remember that the first of it all must have started when i was in abt the 7th or 8th grade. i dont remember how it affected my life so much, but i remember that in the 8th grade, i started coloring in my eyebrows, bec i began losing them....and i remember that in the 7th grade i picked at something on my face that i felt wasnt supposed to be there, and it ended up being a huge blemish, and i remember being so embarrased of the huge scab on my cheek. i also remember (and i see in photos) that i would pick at my pores until my face would be all blotchy, and red. i've mainly pulled from my pubic area (i know it sounds nasty, but pls dont freak out- i wish i wudn't- i just cant seem to stop), leg hair, and eyebrows, and picked at my pimples (even if there werent rally any pimples- even just pores that i felt needed to be unclogged...) i still pull and pick at my pubic hair, and my leg hairs, and these can be so time-consuming, i often engage in this activity for hours at a time, leaving me with an irritated/hurting pubic area , ingrown hairs, and blotchy legs. this results in incomplete skl workwork, going to bed at insane times, bec late to skl, even spending too much time in the skl bathroom (that is rlly embarrasing, and i'll miss class) and much more:( anyways the reason i joined this support group is because trichotillomania has recently taken over my life. at the end of last year, around may/june, i started pulling from my head. and within weeks it got so severe, and in july i had to wear a cap, and i went to purchase my first wig. it is the most painful thing ever. i wear a wig to skl, and i am always self- concious. i hate those people that are so nasty and ask me if i wear a wig. my self esteem, my enjoyment in life, and my comfort to be around ppl have all decreased. and that is only the results of the behavior....the actual disorder is excruciatingly painful, and debilitating, too much to express in words!!!!!!!!! i feel that my scalp/hairs hurt and i must remove them to relieve the pain, but the relief usually doesnt come, and all it leaves me is with less and less hair. it hurts me so much that sometimes as soon as my hair starts to grow, i start pulling some out again;( the actual pulling feels so good in a way, but i wish it didnt!!!! i just want to be like everyone else!!!! i barely make it to skl on time, bec putting on my wig and making it look as natural as i can takes a long time, and bec i often go to bed at really late hours because i spend long times pulling....and sometimes getting out of bed is just to difficult to face another long day wearing a wig, facing the world with it, and it is so itchy and uncomfortable!!!!!! Throughout it all, since i was very young what pulls me through is my strong belief in G-d, that He is always here with me, and that even if it seems so hard, He is doing all this for my best, although i cant understand, and when He seems so far away, i know he is by my side and orchestrating everything in the world, in everyone's life, including mine! i know He loves me so much!!! i hope i gave u all some encouragement and i would love to hear back from you! if anyone gained some encouragement from my words, i wud love to hear back from you! if anyone was able to relate to anything i said, pls let me know, so i dont feel like i'm the only one. if u have had any success with treatments, anything to help me to stop pulling/ picking, creative ideas, tips on how to cope, or any hair- covering ideas, such as a place to get natural-looking wigs or hair pieces, etc, i would really appreciate if u can reply!!!!!
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • Alexanna224

Meltdown

I get paid tomorrow and all my money is going to bills. I need to get a few things and save money but I can't.  I need to go back to therapy too. I just want to cry and give up. I want to go back to school too but I may need to get a second job instead. I don't know what to do...
  • dstrdlx

So to mention i'm bipolar or not...

I'll try my best to explain this as it confuses me even writing it! So long story short. I'm from Australia and currently living in Norway with my husband for the last 2 years.When we went to renew my visa in December we submitted the documents which met all requirements. Except we were missing his last 3 payslips as he got laid off from his job (due to restructuring). Visa was meant to be...