Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling) Support Group

Impulsive control disorder is the inability to resist an urge, temptation, or impulse, even when it may cause negative effects to the self or to others. If you or a loved one suffers from impulsive contorl disorder, join the community to find support and share your challenges with others who know what you're going through.

0 Online

New to this

I have had TTM  for about 12 years. Haven't found a forum quite like this one before. Looks great. Has anyone found anything that helps? I have Tried tangles and St John's wort, barriers and general fiddlys. I want one of those fidget cubes I keep seeing everywhere. Thanks for reading... 

Replies

rargend
rargend

Hi, I'm new here too. Been struggling with TTM for about 20 years. I never tried those toys, but recently I started tracking it with a bullet journal and it made me more aware. I'm not saying it made me stop, but when I started paying more attention to how, when and where I pull, I kinda became more strong to resist some urges (or to avoid some triggers).
Gussy05
Gussy05

Yeah I have found this very helpful in the past. Sorry I didn't reply I guess I put this site down and forgot to pick it up again
getbacktoserenity
getbacktoserenity

I have been taking N-Acetyl Cysteine supplements. 1200 mg seems to be the right dose for me at the moment. I use the Swanson brand specifically.

https://www.amazon.com/Swanson-Nac-N-Acetyl-Cysteine-Caps/dp/B00068GKC8/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1499720122&sr=8-1&keywords=swanson%2Bnac&th=1

It does seem to help to decrease the compulsive urges. Some people benefit more than others, so its worth a try! There have been studies which found it being effective for trich and skin picking.
getbacktoserenity
getbacktoserenity

Im also looking into trying ashwagandha herbal supplements. Supposed to be helpful in minimizing anxiety and depression. The reviews seem promising.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PGE98K/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3VL1IOH3HPAQB&colid=3HC07C070OIIB&th=1
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • extraterrestrialone

What brings on feelings of sadness?

And please don't talk about chemicals or sparkings in the brain. Those real concerns also destroy my concept of "meaning of life". I want to love life and feel to be with purpose - even if it is a lie or fantasy.  But when I wake from sleep, so often the dreams scamper away like waterbugs and roaches when the light comes on.  but like a world without light, I feel sadness and gloom.
  • a7xfoREVer_disturbed4lyf

Just a little advice?

So, my girlfriend who I've dated for only two days now, I'm anxious about how things are going with her because our conversations can't last 10 minutes without her saying something about sex, and having recently gotten out of a relationship where this girl was obsessive over me and acted the same way,  I was scared to leave and she blackmailed me when I tried to leave,  long story short someone...