Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling) Support Group

Impulsive control disorder is the inability to resist an urge, temptation, or impulse, even when it may cause negative effects to the self or to others. If you or a loved one suffers from impulsive contorl disorder, join the community to find support and share your challenges with others who know what you're going through.

1 Online

8 days pull free and hating it...

I started pulling out my evelashes when I was 7 years old. I'm 21 now. Around my junior year of high school I started pulling my hair on my head too. I won't go into the personal details, but a weight was lifted off my shoulders and it's given me the strength to fight it. I've pulled out hair on my body everyday, all day for 14 years. Today marks the 8th day pull free and I've only pulled out 2 hairs. I thought I would be proud of myself. This is something I've begged for and cried for. I've wanted to stop my whole life. But strangely enough, I hate NOT pulling. I miss it so much! I don't know what to do to replace it. I feel like a drug addict missing my drug. I don't know what to do. I don't speak to other people about this because they label me crazy, judge silently, and go about their day after telling me "just stop pulling" (which we all know, it doesn't work that way). I need done kind of encouragement or advice. I'm lost without my pulling. 

Replies

lalabub
lalabub

First of all, way to go on 8 days of not pulling! So I was thinking that maybe you need to get something to do with your hands. I have a pipecleaner (neon green for fun) that I play with at work to keep my fingers occupied. I twist it around and around mindlessly, which in turn, helps keep my hands away from my lashes. Try and find something to replace your urge to pull for now until it becomes more natural to just stop pulling. Keep up your good work. I'm impressed!
ab1993
ab1993

I definitely know this feeling, unfortunately waiting for the long term benefits can be torture but if you can try to keep up the amazing work you are doing so well!! :)