Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling) Support Group
Impulsive control disorder is the inability to resist an urge, temptation, or impulse, even when it may cause negative effects to the self or to others. If you or a loved one suffers from impulsive contorl disorder, join the community to find support and share your challenges with others who know what you're going through.
laurnablossom
Hey guys!
I havent posted in a while but its been on my mind lately, so here's hoping some of this helps atleast one person.
To catch you up, I pull my eyelashes and from the top of my head. Perfect, your all caught up now.
3 months ago my hair was bad, I had to wear my hair in a bun on the top of my head just to hide it. my lashes were in full, but i have tried extra hard not to pull them because its harder to hide.
I think i was stressed at work, or about my weight or something, but i was pulling ALOT...even in public..so you know it was bad.
I usually have to hit rock bottom before I can stop for a significant amount of time, and it was due time for my rock bottom. So I just said enough is enoug., I was sick of telling myself "today is the day i stop", on my way to work everyday. I stopped pulling, and fought each urge by just brushing my hair or doing something to help stimulate hair growth instead. (brushing your hair is actually great for this, it satisfys the itch and helps make your scalp healthier for faster growth. Try it!)
It takes about 1-1.5 months for all hair to grow in, and leave no bald spots, when you reach this stage you start getting some confidence back I find. Getting to this point is the hardest part of the journey. It takes 30 days to break a habit.
I find theres 3 stages when growing your hair back, each stage with a challenge in hiding the newly grown hair. Heres some tips I try.
1. Your hair has filled in the bald spots and is now very short. (often too short to gel down, and are best hidden when hair is in a messy bun over the growing area)
2.Hair is now about 1 inch long now and pokes through your flat hair when its up. (hair clips, bobby pins ect are great to hold these short pieces down as gel and hair spray isnt strong enough for these wirey hairs)
3. Hair is now 2-3 inches, and you can wear your hair down with hair spray and gel to hold shorter pieces down.
I love being able to finally wear my hair down, and it makes me want to stay pull free forever. I hope you guys try these tips and they work for you! Let me know how you are doing and if you've tried these. Cheers guys!
LB
I havent posted in a while but its been on my mind lately, so here's hoping some of this helps atleast one person.
To catch you up, I pull my eyelashes and from the top of my head. Perfect, your all caught up now.
3 months ago my hair was bad, I had to wear my hair in a bun on the top of my head just to hide it. my lashes were in full, but i have tried extra hard not to pull them because its harder to hide.
I think i was stressed at work, or about my weight or something, but i was pulling ALOT...even in public..so you know it was bad.
I usually have to hit rock bottom before I can stop for a significant amount of time, and it was due time for my rock bottom. So I just said enough is enoug., I was sick of telling myself "today is the day i stop", on my way to work everyday. I stopped pulling, and fought each urge by just brushing my hair or doing something to help stimulate hair growth instead. (brushing your hair is actually great for this, it satisfys the itch and helps make your scalp healthier for faster growth. Try it!)
It takes about 1-1.5 months for all hair to grow in, and leave no bald spots, when you reach this stage you start getting some confidence back I find. Getting to this point is the hardest part of the journey. It takes 30 days to break a habit.
I find theres 3 stages when growing your hair back, each stage with a challenge in hiding the newly grown hair. Heres some tips I try.
1. Your hair has filled in the bald spots and is now very short. (often too short to gel down, and are best hidden when hair is in a messy bun over the growing area)
2.Hair is now about 1 inch long now and pokes through your flat hair when its up. (hair clips, bobby pins ect are great to hold these short pieces down as gel and hair spray isnt strong enough for these wirey hairs)
3. Hair is now 2-3 inches, and you can wear your hair down with hair spray and gel to hold shorter pieces down.
I love being able to finally wear my hair down, and it makes me want to stay pull free forever. I hope you guys try these tips and they work for you! Let me know how you are doing and if you've tried these. Cheers guys!
LB
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
Just a quick question, I know you mentioned you also pull from your eyelashes, that's where I have my pulling. Do you have any tips for stopping that? I'm trying really hard, I often go about 2 weeks without pulling and then I'll have a bad day and just pull so many out, and then I'm back to feeling awful and discouraged and having to start over. Any advice? Thanks!
As for tips on eyelashes, I found that i had to try my hardest to not touch them for about a week or two, then when they are a few millimeters long I apply mascara to my lashes ( at night for fun, not to wear in public).
I found this gave me encouragement because the mascara makes your lashes look a bit longer and thicker, and you can feel like you've made more progress (making it easier to continue being good) Also when you wear mascara, its harder to pull just one out at a time.. and when you feel your lashes you are reminded not to pull cause you feel the mascara clumps on them.
In a weird way, i found grooming and taking care of my growing lashes and hair was something to do instead of pulling.