Pulmonary Embolism Support Group
By far the most common form of pulmonary embolism is a thromboembolism, which occurs when a blood clot, generally a venous thrombus, becomes dislodged from its site of formation and embolizes to the arterial blood supply of one of the lungs. Symptoms may include difficulty breathing, pain during breathing, and more rarely circulatory instability and death.
Jean1014
Well, yesterday was the 6th month mark! Yay me! :o) I wish I could say I felt better, but, I don't. That is not meant as any discourgement however! I DID feel much better, for the first 3 months. The last 3 I believe anyway, has simply been due to the heat and humidity of summer, which resulted in me slacking off, which thus led to me not taking care of myself. So I really can't blame the PE! I then let anxiety get the better of me, as I have postred about a few times.
What a rollercoaster ride this all is! To go from barely knowing what a PE was to suddenly have one, to letting it almost run your life... maddening! A learning experience none the less, and one I am happy to still be here to have.
So... here is what I have learned so far. One, it hurts. By every definition of the word. Physically, emotionally, socially, financially... it hurts. And as with anything, healing takes time. Two.... too much knowledge is not always such a good thing. Sites such as this are wonderful in that we can talk to people who can understand and have experienced what PE's are Beyond that, they can be nervewracking!
Three... there are going to be good days and bad. There is no "normal". It is different for everyone. Even the doctors can only give you an "idea" of what may or may not happen. I have had one doctor attribute my lingering chest pain to anxiety, and yet another say "of course you still have pain!" So really, even much of what they say... outside of scientific facts and what is "typical" is a toss up.
Fatigue, pain, shortness of breath... par for the course. Getting used to daily meds, and possible side effects, same thing.
There are only so many times you can hear "you should have died. You dodged a huge bullet. Wow I can't believe youa re still here with a clot like that" before it really takes a toll on you. You go from wow I am lucky, to holy *bleep*!! At times, it feels too much to handle.
All of that said, here we are!! And for everything each of us go through, different, the same, whatever... it is ALL normal and okay! We are here. Who knows why, but it really doesn't matter... we are here! It is hard to take that into account while having an anxiety attack... driving down the road.. starting to feel dizzy, chest pain etc... but, again, here we are.
So, on my 6th month and one day anniversary, that is my ramble. :o)
What a rollercoaster ride this all is! To go from barely knowing what a PE was to suddenly have one, to letting it almost run your life... maddening! A learning experience none the less, and one I am happy to still be here to have.
So... here is what I have learned so far. One, it hurts. By every definition of the word. Physically, emotionally, socially, financially... it hurts. And as with anything, healing takes time. Two.... too much knowledge is not always such a good thing. Sites such as this are wonderful in that we can talk to people who can understand and have experienced what PE's are Beyond that, they can be nervewracking!
Three... there are going to be good days and bad. There is no "normal". It is different for everyone. Even the doctors can only give you an "idea" of what may or may not happen. I have had one doctor attribute my lingering chest pain to anxiety, and yet another say "of course you still have pain!" So really, even much of what they say... outside of scientific facts and what is "typical" is a toss up.
Fatigue, pain, shortness of breath... par for the course. Getting used to daily meds, and possible side effects, same thing.
There are only so many times you can hear "you should have died. You dodged a huge bullet. Wow I can't believe youa re still here with a clot like that" before it really takes a toll on you. You go from wow I am lucky, to holy *bleep*!! At times, it feels too much to handle.
All of that said, here we are!! And for everything each of us go through, different, the same, whatever... it is ALL normal and okay! We are here. Who knows why, but it really doesn't matter... we are here! It is hard to take that into account while having an anxiety attack... driving down the road.. starting to feel dizzy, chest pain etc... but, again, here we are.
So, on my 6th month and one day anniversary, that is my ramble. :o)
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
Carrie
I won't use the Age thing - I'm 72- but I really don't have the strength I had before. Never been a coward either. But, please, give me a break if you know nothing about this!!!
Thank God, people here do understand. Love, Cindy
KS
So Jean are you on warfarin for 6mths or life? (sorry if you've mentioned this before).
Beefabee, not sure if I am lifer or not yet. Right now we have no known cause...no injury, surgery, etc.. While I was still in the hospital they were leaning towards being on it for life because one or two of the tests came back borderline. In a few months, I go back to the hematologist for re-testing. So I guess I will find out then. To be honest, I would rather stay on it!!
At 4 months now I am still adjusting to my "new normal". Some days I do still grieve for my "old life", but I am becoming more accepting of each day, each ache, each pain,each injection, each time exhaustion hits me like a sledge hammer, each time I gasp hungry for oxygen, each time I feel the room spin, each new or old symptom that shows itself.
And in that acceptance. each day I thank god I am still alive.
I just today accept that all this is who I am now, tomorrow I may be not so accepting, but that's okay I have earned the right to do this guilt free. I have been ill, I am ill and I am recovering and it will take as long as it takes :))
This site and others like it are invaluable in keeping us sane and probably in some cases alive. Most doctors don't have the answers, some have far too many answers, but it's the same as trying to explain to a male what it is like to give birth... unless one has experienced the fact, then they will never completely understand or know or own that experience.
And well meaning people reiterating the fact that I'm not dead, do freak me out from time to time.. But that is all part of the experience that is Pulmonary embolism.
well done to all of you making it onto 6months and beyond..
so lifts me to read everones comments here,stay positive keep smiling ,but is ok to cry too...and i am sure we have all done that when that awful chest ripping searing pain 1st came:-( it is something none of us will ever forget is it....thank you everyone for giving me hope...x