Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Support Group
Find support with others who have gone through a traumatic experience. Whether you have chronic or acute PTSD, we are here for you.
MorningSadness00
I went on this date the other night, that I met on a dating site, and he took me out to eat and too the movies, and everything went great until he took me the the movies.
He touched me a certain way, *it wasn't even sexually or anything like that* and he said something in a certain tone of voice, and i was instantly triggered, i was scared that he was going to hurt me like my ex had, i felt like running out of the movie theatre and walking home, he kept telling me to go outside and talk to him, and all i could think is oh my god hes going to kill me. *completely untrue by the way*
So when the movie was over, we talked about it, and he apologized, he couldnt even look me in the eye, he felt bad. *he knew i had PTSD already because I told him before the date*
NOW i am experiencing anger issues. I am not angry at him at all. And i do like him... he didn't do anything besides triggered me, which i HIGHLY doubt was done on purpose. I want to see him again and give him a chance.
But what can i do about this anger? Im so frustrated and angry yesterday and today... and i have so much anxiety...... is this normal when you're triggered to feel this way?
He touched me a certain way, *it wasn't even sexually or anything like that* and he said something in a certain tone of voice, and i was instantly triggered, i was scared that he was going to hurt me like my ex had, i felt like running out of the movie theatre and walking home, he kept telling me to go outside and talk to him, and all i could think is oh my god hes going to kill me. *completely untrue by the way*
So when the movie was over, we talked about it, and he apologized, he couldnt even look me in the eye, he felt bad. *he knew i had PTSD already because I told him before the date*
NOW i am experiencing anger issues. I am not angry at him at all. And i do like him... he didn't do anything besides triggered me, which i HIGHLY doubt was done on purpose. I want to see him again and give him a chance.
But what can i do about this anger? Im so frustrated and angry yesterday and today... and i have so much anxiety...... is this normal when you're triggered to feel this way?
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
I'm new to this group but have been dealing with my own PTSD with the help of a group. Do you have a group or any other face-to-face support? Even online information from Wikipedia can help. I find this is quite helpful in knowing what to expect and in dealing with triggers. I think that one of the symptoms of PTSD is having anger, or other intense feelings brought on by a trigger- which can be evident by how out of proportion the feelings are to the event in the present.
We never really know when we'll be triggered, but we can develop a toolbox of ways to deal with them.
I think your self-awareness also helps. I don't know where you are in your process of dealing with trauma, but I'm finding that focusing on dealing with it and being cautious about relationships help.
I have issues with anger as well and mindfulness is helping, but not eliminating. I've looked up the article about thought-stopping which I'll try since the anger or other intense feelings depend on what I'm thinking.
I hope this is of some help.
I have driven more than one great guy away with my craziness. I blamed them, but it was my PTSD. I really sabotaged my relationships.
You can't have a good relationship with a man at this point because you will be suspect of their motives and actions. A guy may feel he can rescue you from your plight, but he will get tired of you constantly testing him. You can't cure yourself of the PTSD, so how could he?
You are not ready to have anything but friendships with people right now.