Panic Attacks Support Group

A panic attack is a period of intense fear or discomfort, typically with an abrupt onset and usually lasting no more than thirty minutes. Symptoms include trembling, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, sweating, nausea, dizziness, hyperventilation, and sensations of choking or smothering. Panic attacks can be very sudden, appear to be unprovoked, and are often disabling.

2 Online
2 Online

Dizziness before bowel movement

I know this sounds weird, but I have been getting dizzy/woozy like right before I have a BM...has anyone else experienced this and if so...what is causing it???

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

You're not alone. I've experienced lightheadedness before, during, and after over the past two years. It didn't start happening until my panic disorder kicked in. I don't know what is causing it for you, but mine has been linked to my anxiety disorder. I know it isn't a pleasant experience, but it helps me to just laugh it off. Hope this helps.
deleted_user
deleted_user

This is what happens to me too. I hate it.
deleted_user
deleted_user

WOW! I get this too....and then a few min later (after I'm done) I feel fine so to speak.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Must be a common symptom, it happens to me as well, almost every time I have a panic attack.
deleted_user
deleted_user

This happens to me alot too. Sometimes I feel like I am going to faint while I'm on the toilet. Its funny talking about it now, but not so funny when it happens to you lol ^_^
deleted_user
deleted_user

I thought I was crazy. Sometimes I am not sure what comes first the dizzy or the bm. Usually a panic attack does give me stomach problems, but sometimes without a panic attack I get dizzy and it is just because I have to go to bathroom. Nice to know I am not alone.
What do they say...misery loves company :)
deleted_user
deleted_user

It happens to me everytime I have a full blown attack. Usually when I'm just anxious, my stomach woun't turn up. For some odd reason, being so lightheaded during the attack; I have to wait till it subsides.
deleted_user
deleted_user

hi - i have IBS and i also have this problem i get really hot flushes and light headed ness and feel very sick then i have bm then i ok veyr very odd
deleted_user
deleted_user

I get the symptoms but not with BM. Usually my "head" is not panicking, but my body does so anyway.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Happens to me too - it's common. The only time I've heard of it happen to someone I know who didn't have panic disorder, was my Mom and she was in her mid-seventies then, and dealing with gall bladder problems, and breast cancer, etc. She had a lot to make her weak. I wouldn't concern yourself - it seems like we all get it!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I get this problem regularly with or without a panic attack.
A couple of years back one night was so bad I could hardly stand after and collapsed a few seconds later in the lounge banging my head on radiator,,,,,,, it was very frightening,
harry3333
harry3333

probably caused by blood draining from head, try to sit on toilet with head well forward, must admit I had never heard of it
deleted_user
deleted_user

I have the exact same thing! When I need to have a BM I feel very toxic and "drugged"... Things seem surreal (like I'm dreaming)... That feeling used to trigger severe panic attacks and lead me to the ER. If my digestive system isn't working properly, I feel as if I'm dying of some horrible disease. I read on a children s' website about "belly pain" that one can get sharp shooting pains from stress. I've had that for a long time now. That shooting pain used to immediately put me into a full blown panic attack. I tend to retain a lot of water and my intestines feel swollen and hard at times. I actually gain 3 to 5 inches in my waist during these episodes. My life and my body feel 100% better if I can keep my digestive system clean and moving. The second I get a little backed up I get acid reflux, stomach aches, dizzy (feel like i'm standing in water up to my neck that's moving my body back and forth), muscle/tendon twitches, numb/tingly ring and pinky finger and of course a panic attack. I've had good luck, in addition to a clean diet, with EFT, Reiki and Energy Medicine. I tend to have a lot of side effects when taking Meds (more panic)...
deleted_user
deleted_user

yes all the time... I have no idea whats causing it because everytime i see a docs for something they say its anxiety...Whats the freaking connection ? o_O I don't know.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Just want to stick my nose into this discussion, just in case you haven't thought of it. Since I am a Nurse, I might be able to help you. Of course, without know the meds your on (they can also cause a drop in Blood Pressure) which is what this is about....

When moving your bowels, it is recommended that you allow your boewls to move on their own. That's right, no pushing. Pushing hard causes you to tighten you muscles which in turn can slow down blood supply to lower limbs.. Just sitting does a little. Once you stand up, there is a sudden need for blood supply to you legs and bingo, drop in blooud pressure equals, dizziness, lightheadedness and sometimes fainting.. In older people, they can suffer heart attacks, usually when body is at it's coolest, around 5am..

This is just like getting up to fast. It is called Orthostatic Hypotension. Body not as quick to deal with drop in BP.

You might want to consider taking Metamucil at bedtime. You will notice a big difference when you "GO" Please, please discuss this with your doctor. He knows what other meds you are on..

Hope this helps,

Victor