Migraine Headaches Support Group

Migraine is a neurological disease, of which the most common symptom is an intense and disabling episodic headache. Migraine headaches are usually characterized by severe pain on one or both sides of the head and are often accompanied by photophobia (hypersensitivity to light), phonophobia (hypersensitivity to sound) and nausea.

2 Online
2 Online

Valium...

Does anyone else take Valium for their Migraines? I took one once for a really bad Migraine and it really relaxed me so I could fall asleep..This was after taking tons of other Migraine meds that did NOTHING! I was wondering if anyone else has had this work with them?

Replies

Snuzzle
Snuzzle

i've never tried valium, but xanax has definitely made my migraines feel better. i now have clonepan, and that helps some too.

maybe it is the help with relaxing that helps you feel better, or there could be a chemical-biological-medical pathway that the meds work on. Or maybe even some combination of the two. Definitely something to mention to your doctor! It's awesome when something FINALLY works!!! :)
LavenderLove
LavenderLove

My brother is a pharmacist so I called him yesterday and asked if there is any medical proof that valium is good for Migraines and he said that new studies are showing that a lot of drugs that weren't meant for Migraines are actually good for them and valium is one of them...woohoo :)
deleted_user
deleted_user

I havent ried Valium but I take Xanax when I get a migraine, along with fioricet or zomig and it seems to work really good!!!!!!!!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I wouldn't have made it through this week or quite a few previous months without valium! I take Lortab most of the time--it's a mix of aspirin and hydrocodone. I take it to dull the roaring pain, so I can function. Doesn't necessarily pan out that way though...at least I get some good rest if it's dulling the pain. I think if I tried Frova again and mixed it with Valium I'd be great.
deleted_user
deleted_user

oops! I take vicodin. Sorry!!