Meniere's Disease Support Group

Meniere's disease is a balance disorder of the inner ear. The symptoms of Meniere's are variable; not all sufferers experience the same symptoms. However, "classic Meniere's" is considered to comprise the following four symptoms: Periodic episodes of rotary vertigo, hearing loss, tinnitus, and a sensation of fullness or pressure in one or both ears.

0 Online

Looking for others to engage with about Meniere's

I am a middle aged guy who has been fighting this ugly snake for about 3 years now with the vertigo, ear fullness, ear ringing, cold sweats, nausea, vomiting, extreme fatigue and hearing loss in my left ear. Looking for some great conversations with other sufferers. Just been placed on a water pill, a little nervous about side effects.

Replies

Squarley
Squarley

I have had my Ménière's for 10 years .I can't take the water pill I just stay on a real low sodium diet .I sleep sitting up I watch what I eat I take Xanx for my vertigo I hope you find some solutions, here to help you here if you need to ask any questions from a friend .
douglasspyles
douglasspyles

Thank you so much, I will be back online shortly
Seamus
Seamus

I just read about this today. Ugh... I have the symptoms and I think it started about 5 years ago.
Its awful to go through.
carryon
carryon

I am female, 49, and have had Meniere’s for 3 1/2 years. I have flown four times this year—overseas in April and just a 3 hour flight a few weeks ago. I did not have near the problem with the long overseas flight that I did with the shorter flight. I was fine upon arrival at destination, but after the return flight, I immediately started with the dizziness, sweating, and nausea. I was exhausted for two solid weeks. I am finally feeling better and started to actually want to do things (instead of just dragging myself). It can be extremely frustrating. I find myself more irritable with the tinnitus and hearing issues, especially when on the phone. One thing that I have found that helps is to stay active and exercise regularly—staying in motion, only to be still and focus on an object when the room spins around, but then to go right back to exercising.
Seamus
Seamus

I had to go to the Doctors yesterday.
She confirmed that I do have Meniers. For me, at least no type of pain. But the loss of equilibrium drives me insane.
RieRegs
RieRegs

Hi, everyone. I am 6 months away from my 40th birthday. I have not yet been diagnosed, but everything I have been experiencing leans towards Meniere's. I have had fullness in my left ear for 10 years, but it has never caused me any problems, only annoyance.

My symptoms and vertigo attacks have been going on for a little over a month. I have been on 25mg of Meclizine 3x a day. I went to PT and she could not recreate the vertigo so she told me to taper off the Meclizine. I was taking 2 pills a day and ended up in the ER because I had severe dizziness, nausea, and vomiting and was told by my PCP that if that happened again (it happened once before at work) I needed to get a CT scan. My CT scan came back normal. I left the ER while still having vertigo, but was at least able to go home. The attack lasted 12 hours.

I am frustrated because this is supposedly a "rare" disease that usually affects people in their 50's and 60's. I am an otherwise healthy 39-year-old woman who still has many many goals to accomplish. It scares me to read some of the experiences people have had with MD because I still have so much of my life to live.
judi0013
judi0013

Hi, I have suffered MD for 2 years. Last year suffered my first attack. Lasted 4 weeks. I suffered my 2 nd attack 3 months ago. This is a nasty diease. Not any medication helps from the doctor.

Do you have an eyes ears nose dr?

Do you suffer migrain headaches? Carol anne
madmax
madmax

The water pill is to get rid of the sodium in your body. Do yourself a massive favor and don't eat any salt-- read all labels. There is naturally occurring salt in everything so don't worry about not getting sodium-- it's impossible not to. Stay away from canned or packaged "ready made" foods-- they are the worst. Once I went on a water pill and cut out the sodium ( your doctor should have given you potassium replacement script also) I have straightened up a lot, and function normally most of the time. I will always have tinnitus and the hearing loss but that's about it. Take you water pill and don't worry about side affects-- enjoy your life. Functioning as normally as possible is where my daily gratitude comes from now, just embrace every day and remember this stupid menieres thing is not who you are. You will feel better-- believe it!!
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • Nicola93

Cancer & Depression

Hi, I´m new here and this is my first post, ive been looking to do this for a couple of years now but never got around to (silly i know), partly because its a bit of a long story. But i´m desperate for advice, i feel like i´m stuck in such a black hole and im so confused i dont know what to think of myself anymore. Anyways, here goes... (apologies if i´m rambling)…. it´s complicated...
  • Sav_2003

Talj to me please

Please someone message me before i do something i cant take back