MCTD Support Group

Mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD) or Sharp's syndrome is a human autoimmune disease in which the immune system attacks the body. MCTD combines features of polymyositis, systemic lupus erythematosus, and systemic scleroderma and is thus considered an overlap syndrome. MCTD commonly causes joint pain/swelling, Raynaud phenomenon, muscle inflammation, and scarring of the skin of the hand.

0 Online

MCTD - Pins & Needles / Slow Circulation

Hi Guys,

Hope you're coping as well as possible! 

I was wondering if anyone else has had pins&needles/tingling in their hands and feet? 

I've had it really bad for 6 months now, i got checked yesterday for "peripheral neuropathy" but it all came through clear, so i'm no closer to an answer. I also get very cold hands and feet. 

Any treatment advice?

Replies

brunob
brunob

do you have raynaud's? Maybe it is connected to that, if you get really cold hands and feet because of the extreme reaction to the cold it might trigger the pins and needles as the circulation comes back
Jen75
Jen75

Firstly, I haven't been diagnosed with MCTD (have positive ANA & anti-RNP), still in the process of testing. I have pins & needles/tingling in my hands & feet, pain in my right thumb especially under the finger. I have had cold hands, feet & nose all my life. Don't have Raynaud's.
MCTD1983
MCTD1983

Bruno - yes, do have raynauds.

Jen - good luck with your testing & firm diagnosis! Have you any treatments/remedies that allay your symptoms?
hillsandvalleys
hillsandvalleys

MCTD seems to be the "Swiss army knife" of autoimmune diseases. It can present with symptoms that could be misdiagnosed as several other diseases ... apparently it was routinely misdiagnosed until reliable blood testing protocols were developed and widely accepted ... although how widely used is another question. However, Raynaud's is one the lovely secondary effects of MCTD... have you tried to locate a Raynaud's board? Maybe some folks on there have some methods to reduce the severity and duration?
BeccaW
BeccaW

I had severe pain from the Raynaud's in the beginning. My doctor had to prescribe a nitroglycerin cream that is used to open your blood vessels. I tried not to use it ofter because I have kids and you don't want to be touching anyone with that stuff on your hands. I only used it when it was super bad. It helped a lot though, until I got my MCTD under control. Stress can also trigger the pins and needles feeling. Try to find some stress relieving techniques that work for you. It might eliminate the trigger to begin with. Hope this helps.
hearthappy2017
hearthappy2017

Hi - I was newly diagnosed in December with MCTD. I always have pins and needles in my hands and feet. Although I had no appearance of Raynauds, some high tech testing at Mayo indicates I have it. That is most likely what is causing your pins and needles. I was told to protect hands and feet from the cold and maybe things with regards to Raynauds may not get worse. Mayo indicated they rarely see an MCTD patient who does not have Raynauds.
SJSchletti
SJSchletti

I have MCTD, with raynauds, sjogrens, RA, diabetes type 2. I have found Alpha Lipoic Acid/Acetyl L Carnitine combo and L Arginine to be helpful with the pins/needles/burning pain in my hands and feet. I know LArg is a vasodilator, not sure why the Alip/Alcar helps but it does.
Terribly debilitating disease isn't it?
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • Syeera

No Diagnosis yet but new symptom

I have been struggling with numerous Lupus-like symptoms for 2 1/2 years: joint pain, muscle pain, brain fog, dry mouth eyes & nose, mouth & nose sores, hair loss, dry skin, sensitive to light, fatigue, shortness of breath and severe reaction to bug bites just to name a few. I had various tests done about a year ago at the Rheumy, all negative. He said that since my ANA was normal, I couldn’t...
  • toreph

i think i'm in the predniZONE

rheumy started me on a low dose of 10mg daily. pain is soooo much better. but will the anxiousness , hyperness, scatter brainededness, go away. also i totally forgot how to braid my hair which scared me. is this normal with prednisone , and does it get better?