MCTD Support Group
Mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD) or Sharp's syndrome is a human autoimmune disease in which the immune system attacks the body. MCTD combines features of polymyositis, systemic lupus erythematosus, and systemic scleroderma and is thus considered an overlap syndrome. MCTD commonly causes joint pain/swelling, Raynaud phenomenon, muscle inflammation, and scarring of...
alaura921
Hello Everyone....My name is Laura and I'm 42 years old.
have been reading a lot of your posts through the weekend. Last week, I went to my GP with L wrist and hand swelling I had going on two weeks. I thought I may have injured myself but nothing happened that I can pinpoint would be the cause...also my L shoulder had been hurting for a few months...I figured you turn 40 and aches and pains are just part of it. My arm felt painful and heavy, kinda like when you get a shot only that pain was in the whole arm.
Both hand were blue, but I was cold and thought that was why as it happens from time to time. She had me take off my shoes and socks...blue toes as well. I was send for an arterial doppler on my left arm (fingers slightly bluer and colder) to be sure no clotting in my arm, a series of xrays, and blood work which she said she also wanted to test me for auto-immune diseases because of the joint pain and Raynaud's.
Doppler was good. X-rays were good too. My blood work showed high ANA and RPN as well as low Vitamin D.
She mentioned MCTD since my RNP was high and suggested I go to a Rheumy for further testing and evaluation.
I have been doing A LOT of reading since Thursday and well I'm quite frightened actually. I have noticed I have a few more symptoms than I even let her know about - ones that I have just chalked up to age and 'normal stresses' like getting headaches, bruising easily, forgetfullness, waking up so stiff I moan...........she put me on one round of Prednisone I started Friday.....On Sat night, my other wrist and thumb began to hurt and swell and I had 99.8 temp....on Sunday my L foot by my big toe began to pain me and was hot to the touch while the other toes were cold and this morning my temp is low grade again at 100.0.
I called the Rhuemy she had suggested . She told me it may be a while before I can get in but she will treat me in the interim. She was right - I have a June 29th appointment.
My main question - Does a high RNP always mean some auto immune disease is trying to conquer my body?
After reading many of your posts I can see you all are so kind and helpful to one another on here - it helped me to feel comfy writing.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Laura
have been reading a lot of your posts through the weekend. Last week, I went to my GP with L wrist and hand swelling I had going on two weeks. I thought I may have injured myself but nothing happened that I can pinpoint would be the cause...also my L shoulder had been hurting for a few months...I figured you turn 40 and aches and pains are just part of it. My arm felt painful and heavy, kinda like when you get a shot only that pain was in the whole arm.
Both hand were blue, but I was cold and thought that was why as it happens from time to time. She had me take off my shoes and socks...blue toes as well. I was send for an arterial doppler on my left arm (fingers slightly bluer and colder) to be sure no clotting in my arm, a series of xrays, and blood work which she said she also wanted to test me for auto-immune diseases because of the joint pain and Raynaud's.
Doppler was good. X-rays were good too. My blood work showed high ANA and RPN as well as low Vitamin D.
She mentioned MCTD since my RNP was high and suggested I go to a Rheumy for further testing and evaluation.
I have been doing A LOT of reading since Thursday and well I'm quite frightened actually. I have noticed I have a few more symptoms than I even let her know about - ones that I have just chalked up to age and 'normal stresses' like getting headaches, bruising easily, forgetfullness, waking up so stiff I moan...........she put me on one round of Prednisone I started Friday.....On Sat night, my other wrist and thumb began to hurt and swell and I had 99.8 temp....on Sunday my L foot by my big toe began to pain me and was hot to the touch while the other toes were cold and this morning my temp is low grade again at 100.0.
I called the Rhuemy she had suggested . She told me it may be a while before I can get in but she will treat me in the interim. She was right - I have a June 29th appointment.
My main question - Does a high RNP always mean some auto immune disease is trying to conquer my body?
After reading many of your posts I can see you all are so kind and helpful to one another on here - it helped me to feel comfy writing.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Laura
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
See what your rheumatologist says, the prednisone may help a lot. If it's autoimmune, sometimes the first flares hit kind of hard and then back off for a while. Try not to worry, keep us posted, and welcome to the site!
What were your blood test level, if I may ask? I had shoulder/arm pain for about a year. Finally I was told bursitis and given injection. Now pain started again. I was told by my Rheumy that connective tissue disease causes inflammation throughout your body, so the shoulder pain/ and over all body aches goes with this disease.
You should ask the rheumy's office to put you on their cancellation list or call them every week to see if they have a cancellation. Also if your doctor calls a request that you be seen sooner, most doc's office will squeeze you in.
Hope the prednisone helps you in the meantime.
bb
Hi Cat - Yes, just out of my GP's office. I called this AM because of the other symptoms that popped up since last weeks visit. My fever was up to 101.8 at the office. I feel so very sick and I am not one to get ill often. I gave her all the family history I learned over Easter dinner and it seems my family has an over active immune system. I never realized psoriasis was auto immune and I used to have it on my scalp as a child (i still remember the tar shampoo smell)
My prednisone ends tomorrow and I really did not get much relief. She is ran more blood work including a Lyme Disease test and opted to start me on an anti-biotic which she may call and have me stop if negative. I'm just glad to know if it is an immune disorder, the come in 'flare-ups' and that this will subside. It has been quite scary! Thank you for the welcome =)
Hi BB - Yes I have found this forum to be very helpful for info and most importantly support!!! Sucks we are here but good to know we are not alone!
My blood test level for RNP is 5.9. What is yours? My ANA just says positive/abnormal - no mention of titters and speckled or anything like i have seen others write about - Is that a different test?
My shoulder pain has been ongoing but the pain did increase tremendously with what has been going on with me. My arms hurt really bad today - turning the wheel in my car was unbelievable - it felt like I had no power steering! I am taking the day off of work tomorrow....feeling so weak.
My GP gave me a few other names to see if I can get into someone sooner than June 29th. If the others are out that far too she said she will make the calls for me and get me in to one she suggested sooner. But I will call to be put on the cancellation list...thanks for mentioning it! And for your kind welcome =)
Laura
My first ANA was 1:40 positive and RNP I think was 6.3, second ANA was 1:80 speckled that was ran by itself. Third ANA was negative but RNP was 7.8. This was all within 6 months of testing.
My first rheumy said RNP of 6.3 was nothing with low ANA. My second rheumy said RNP of 6.3 and now 7.8 was very high regardless of the low ANA and then negative, plus skin rash, fatigue, muscle pain, and Livedo reticularis was enough to diagnosis MCTD/CTD.
I was also tested for Lyme, negative.
I am on a pretty strong anti-inflammatory meds for my shoulder pain like I said, but if this does not work in a month, will get another injection. I know what you mean about the pain in the shoulder and arm. I kept on telling my GP that the pain would wake my up after sleeping only 4hours at a time. He finally after several months order a x-ray then sent me to an ortho who said I had bursitis. Now according to my rheumy, I had tendinitis of my upper arm/shoulder.
I too suffer from psoriasis for about 40 years, plus hypothyroid so I know I have had an autoimmune disorder. I was told if you have one autoimmune, it is not uncommon to develop others.
Hope you feel better.
bb