Hiatal Hernia Support Group

Hiatus hernia or hiatal hernia is the protrusion (or hernia) of the upper part of the stomach into the thorax through a tear or weakness in the diaphragm. The symptoms include acid reflux, pains, similar to heartburn, in the chest and upper stomach. In most cases, sufferers experience no discomfort and no treatement is required.

0 Online

Chest pain with Hiatal hernia

Has anyone had chest pain with their hiatal hernia and if so can you discribe how it feels to you. Sharp? Stabbing? I have had a hiatal hernia for yrs now but lately I have been having chest pain and wonder if it is from this. I also have fibromyalgia and wonder if that may be the cause. Any replys are welcome...thanks

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

Touch beside your breastbone, feel your ribs are then tender to touch and painful along your breastbone., If so, you have costochrondritis which I get with my fibro. Think you are having a heart attack but you arent.

Sometimes you have chest pain with acid reflux, which I also have but its more of burning.

I been to ER 3 times thinking it was my heart. finally I found an ER dr that said it was costo. When we went on vacation this year and I over did it climbing ladders on this ship, my chest hurt and I got short of breath, Scary so I went to a cardiologist, did a cath lab and said heart was good, it was costochrondritis again.

Have it checked out to be sure. Better safe then sorry
deleted_user
deleted_user

HI,
i,m not sure i have this but i am told i show all the symtom,s of a hiatal hernia, i also have fibro, i can totally emathise with you as i have a lump in my upper stomach area and when i am bunged up i get a pain in the left side of my chest, it,s like everytime i breath in i feel it, it is hard to desribe but i tell my doctor it,s like a bad ache it doesn,t go away it,s there all the time, it also scares me a bit as i,m not sure what it is,i am waiting to see if i have a hiatal hernia i do know i have a lump which is affecting me when i eat i am also fed up with the ache i have in my chest, i as i have said i,m not sure yet if i have this but i would like to know what your pain is like? is it sharp then like a dull ache if it is i think i may very well have the same thing, i would be grateful if you would let me know how you get on, i hope you are feeling better kelly x
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi Kelly, Not sure what you feel like but I get sharp pains...sometimes I will have a sharp pain and other times it is like something is clawing down my esophagus. Sometimes food sticks and I KNOW it is the hernia and other times I am not sure. I just had an ultrasound to ck my gallbladder too, to rule out any problems with that. I have Fibro and have known I have that and the hiatal hernia for yrs now. I really had it under control till about october and then I have had trouble since. It does scare me at times, having chest pains when I don't expect them. But it helps to come on here and have others to talk to and ask questions about things. I will let you know what more I find out of anything. In the meantime the dr told me to take liquid maalox as needed and I also take Nexium to help with the hernia. Hope you find some help as well....Linetta :)
deleted_user
deleted_user

I was diagnosed with a moderate hh at the end of October and I have had TONS of chest pains - all different kinds: sharp, stabbing, dull aching... almost always on the left side. Even left side jaw pain, or more like weird sensations. And left side arm and shoulder blade pain. My father died unexpectedly of a sudden heart attack at 30 so all of this has been very unerving for me, to say the least. :-( I've also had attacks (like panic attacks) in the middle of the night where I feel like I can't breathe and I get so dizzy and almost pass out. My heart races for no reason at times and I feel like I have swallowed a brick. I haven't seen a cardiologist or even went to the ER because I did have a stress test 2 years ago that came back fine - very healthy. My GI doc seems to think it's just the hh. So I just have to keep telling myself that it IS THE HH and nothing else. But I do feel your pain - and it is scary. But it is common to experience chest pains of all sorts with an hh, unfortunately. :-( Guess it's something that we will just have to live with and get used to. Oh - going for a barium swallow to see if I'm having any esophagus probs - was told yesterday that can be blamed for the chest pain also - might want to check into that.
deleted_user
deleted_user

My hh is a pain, literally. Every single day it hurts me and there is never a time when it doesnt hurt. There are some days so bad i cant get up and going. It has sharp, stabbing, and even burning pains. More than once i thought i was having a heart attack.
littlemac
littlemac

Yes, I have a hh and chest pains & back pain under my shoulder blades. Until we knew it was the hh I was checked out for heart problems, and my heart is fine.
I recently elevated my bed at the headboard 6 inches and it has helped a lot with the hh, I don't get up ill to my stomach anymore.
Good luck to you Linettam, I hope you find something to make you feel better:)
deleted_user
deleted_user

I just had an endoscopy two days ago and the GI doc said I have a MILD HIATUS HERNIA. I started feeling horrible the beginning of April. I have Fibromyalgia so I am used to chronic pain but this has been WORSE for me. Stomach pains, acid coming through my throat, burping constantly, no appetite, lost weight, anxiety issues from it. This has been the WORST month for me ( april and now may) :(

I heard that chiropractors can fix the hiatal hernia. I am so desperate I wanna go to one TODAY. I have tried so many other things to no avail. It seems to get better then something comes back. Last night anxiety again from breathing issues. UGH! I just want relief as we all do and answers! Hugs to you all
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hello,

Yes the anxiety is a big thing with the fibro and the HH I just flew to utah from Illinois this past week and that is always nerve racking for me. Needless to say I had more aches and pains and always the chest pains that come from both the HH and the fibro....plus the costrocondritis. NOT fun for sure and can really scare a person when it happens. I always just keep up with my check ups and make sure everything is ok. As always it is good to come here and see what other people have experienced and always get advice about what has helped them. I do know that a chiropractor. or at least some can help a hiatal hernia. If you make an appt ask if the dr knows how to treat that. God bless and best wishes....Linettam
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi Linette and others,

Went to the Chiropractor yesterday. She was extremely nice and understanding. Told her about my long standing pain issues since age 12 ( im 28 now) and the recent stomach attacks that sent me to the E.R. She said they DO adjust hiatal hernias. So she did that along with a thorough work up, XRAYS and adjustments for my messed up neck and back. I have high hopes for it and I have heard that it CAN treat and fix the hernia. She also told of ways you can adjust the hernia yourself which people have been doing for years. Google it and try it yourself to see if gives some relief.

I also started as of yesterday, taking ORGANIC APPLE CIDER VINEGAR before each meal and at night. Again, something that has been around for centuries being used to treat all kinds of ailments. I heard A.C.V ( be sure it is 'with the mother' meaning purest form) is great for gastro issues. I hope I hope I hope it works for me ! It seems to help somewhat so far...
deleted_user
deleted_user

I also was diagnosed with HH today- had a GI scope because 2 months ago I came down with really fierce burning pains across my chest. And nausea w/dry heaves. Never really any vomiting. I had been on Nexium for 4 years prior to my first GI scope 2 years ago. Doc said everything was clean and normal then. So I stopped the Nexium for the fact of the long term use and the Calcium drawing issue. BIG MISTAKE!

Had the Stress Test- the CT scan all normal. Then my family doc told me I had Shingles- based on some almost dried up bumps on my left chest area. I would have HORRIBLE chest pains along with the dry heaves. 2 visits to the ER- 1 visit to the PromptCare and numerous trips to my family Doc.. All of them disagreeing with each other.

So now I have another visit with the Cardio DR in July. All I want to know if this dull achy pain running up and down my left sternum is really Shingles pain? Or pain from the HH? Or still heart related. My family Doc says the Cardiac Cath only as a last resort.

I feel for every one in this group!
lioness2001
lioness2001

Hi everyone - I have had just about every symptom people have posted here - and YES they are ALL GERD-related (reflux, hiatel hernia). I too thought I was having heart-related issues. I had pains in my upper right shoulder and pain coming up my chest to my neck and into my bottom teeth! It felt like a tooth ache - the worst kind! I thought I was going crazy but they say it's all related to GERD. I had a scope and the biopsy came back with Eosinophilic Esophagitis. So tomorrow I'm going for allergy testing to see if it's food-related. Evidently this malady mimics GERD. I cannot sleep more than 2-3 hours a night, I'm so tired. I have the wedge pillow and have tried everything but I still wake up with discomfort in my upper chest neck. If not a food allergy, they are going to d motility and PH testing and decide if I should have lap surgery for my hiatel hernia. Good luck to all.
deleted_user
deleted_user

My husband had his Hiatel hernia fix week ago friday. And he is doing find. But he can't eat anything but Liquids or chew up the food so find before he swolles. He is having problems wanting to eat.
He has some pain and his tummy is still coming around and move over the his left side for now according to his doctor.
They put in 5 holes and fix it/ They said that his tummy was 1/2 up in the Esopiaquts (mis spell) . He has had heartburn for years an years. It was so bad that he couldn't feel the heart burn any more.

I have about most of everyones symptoms that have writen here also. I do have a heart problem and they put a stint in my LAD.
But me too go to the ER because I can't tell either.

I had upper and lower GI in July and they found things and I had two pre cancers they took out/

I still can't tell today so I will check my blood pressure and look at my oxygen level now before I will go to the ER.
I also have COPD.

About sleeping yeah me too....it was boughering my husband because of days of not sleeping well. I am on something for my panic attacts now that has help me sleep. I only get a few times since starting on those pills with not being able to sleep.

My husband raise our bed at the head up which has help both of us. I also use several pillows still too.

I think if your not sure go to the ER. Don't worry about what they think etc. YOU don't know right? Why take chances

Also if you don't get what you need from you doctor go to another doctor. But you must share with your doctor about your pain too.

I also have pain pills for both my Aristhis and they now give me Pain Pills when I go to the ER as well for my heart. That is new.

Right now I have pain it hurts to breath......I live with my chest pains.

I will say a prayer for you all.

hugs
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hiatal hernia pain can feel very similar to a heart attack, so if you are experiencing chest pains please go to a doctor to rule out a heart condition before assuming it's a HH :)

That being said, my chest pains have nearly disappeared now that I'm on a GERD-friendly diet, but before I started the diet it got to where I had mild to moderate pain nearly all day long! I would describe it as a feeling of pressure in my chest, sometimes with short stabbing pains in my chest or abdomen. I did have several cardiac tests which all returned normal. One thing that allows me to tell the pain is from the HH and not my heart is that the pain always gets worse when I sit down or bend over (i.e. put pressure on my stomach) and gets better when I stand up or walk around (i.e. less pressure on stomach).

I described my diet in my journal if anyone's interested:

http://www.dailystrength.org/people/508274/journal/1912231