Gastric Bypass Surgery Support Group
Gastric bypass (GBP) is any of a group of similar operative procedures used to treat morbid obesity, a condition which arises from severe accumulation of excess weight in the form of fatty tissue, and the health problems ("co-morbidities") which result. If you are considering gastric bypass or have had it, join the community where we share our experiences and find support.
aloharada
So I met with my surgeon for the first time yesterday! I had hoped he would give me done insight of which surgery would be best for me...unfortunately we discussed both the sleeve and RNY but nothing he said helped me choose between the two!! He gave me two weeks to decide and then let him know at our next consult on the 24th!! However, I spent all day googling the risks and complications of both surgeries only to start chickening out completely!!!!! I don't know what to do!!!! HELP!!!!
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
Good day to all.So let me explain why we're discussing this today. The problem is, if your system gets too many (as in produces too many) it's a non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL) called Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia, and my husband was diagnosed in early 2018.Every monocloncal antibody or protein in your blood is essentially a blank, a slug, as they call coins that have been minted but not...
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...

Watch this if you have a bit of time... Its on fear. Very moving if you ask me :)
Karen Thompson Walker: What fear can teach us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwgWkUIm9Gc
Best of luck with your decision... Only you know whats best for you!
Now days for the most part I have been told it is a safe surgery. There are of course dangers in any surgery, or as Becca said even going to the mall.
We all got to wiegh the pros and cons and make an educated decision. I chose the RNY becasue to me it offered the best chance of success due to the small pouch and malabsorbtion.
there is danger in everything you do. i have three small children and my hubby and i were both scared. but i told him, i can have one surgery now - or i can have many surgeries later.
the surgery part of this surgery has about the same risks as any surgery.
i found you tube videos of people who had problems and i freaked myself out.
on this site everyone is honest. they don't paint everything as a perfect picture, but nor is it doom and gloom. they just talk honestly about the problems and we all try to help make sense of them. but they also tell us about all the great parts.
as sgt said - most of us would do it again!
http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/83576-article-about-my-wls-journey/#entry939835
I look forward to meeting with my surgeon this week. I'm hoping I feel better then. I am excited about WLS. I just need to understand that some days I'll be a little scared. I'm trying not to dwell on those days, because this whole thing is a huge opportunity for me.
Has anyone on here experienced the putting off if surgery to try it on your own because u lost weight pre-op then wished years later that u did it the first time because u were unsuccessful? Does that make sense? Ugh! I feel like I'm all over the place!
Hi there! I am brand new on here, and will be having a gastric bypass this July or August. We will schedule as soon as i get my tests done, and my evaluation and attend my support groups, as required by my insurance. I have already lost my 5% that is required by my surgeons office, by watching my sodium intake, and eating low fat. I have cheated a TON, but I'm so ready for the surgery. You are so pretty, and you will show off your beauty at just a lower weight!! How fun and exciting is that!!!
So, don't worry so much, like everyone said, you could get in a car accident and die, and you could have the surgery and be just fine, wihich i'm sure you will!
GO for it girl!! Be healthy, look healthy, and LOVE BEING HEALTHY!!!
Boo
I chose RNY becuase of it's long term success rate. A woman in my local support group chose the sleeve because she's of child bearing age and she wanted the procedure that caused the least amount of mal-absorbtion. I've heard of people having the RNY and still having children. It's really a personal choice that you need to make.
Dont' chicken out....the majority of the people in ths group will tell you it was the best thing they've ever done for themselves (me included). The ONLY regret I have is that I didn't do this sooner.
I hope this was helpful.
Shelley :O)