Gastric Bypass Surgery Support Group
Gastric bypass (GBP) is any of a group of similar operative procedures used to treat morbid obesity, a condition which arises from severe accumulation of excess weight in the form of fatty tissue, and the health problems ("co-morbidities") which result. If you are considering gastric bypass or have had it, join the community where we share our experiences and find support.
rainierjamie
I am 13 weeks and two days out from my gastric bypass surgery and 60 lbs down. I am officially a hair under 240lbs (my scale is an old spring and dial scale) and it is going very well. I have had very few issues really, compared to what I thought before surgery from what everyone on the sites and my partner who had lapband was saying about things. I was stuck for about 4 weeks at 246lbs, but then did a week liquid diet to revive things. Didn't lose but two pounds on the liquid diet, but afterward, when I started eating again, the last 4 to 5 pounds just dropped off. It was awesome. I am not doing a formal exercise routine at the moment, but I am very active now. I was able to get up on my roof and spent about 5 hours pressure washing the moss of my roof. And I am going to re-fence the back yard. I am always finding some thing to keep me moving some during the day.
The only real difficulties I have had are I have to be cautious eating meats. Sometimes it is painful to digest, and sometimes it is not. Seems if I eat some sauce with it, it goes down better. And if I make sure I chew, chew, chew till my jaws are tired. Can't be in a hurry anymore and woof it down. Still can't do scrambled or fried eggs, but the poached ones do fine. Don't know what the big diff is, but it is what it is. Eggs used to be my go-to food. I would have at least two to three a day. Now I can't really stand eating them, even if they are poached and go down easy. I just can't eat but a few bites and they don't sound good any more.
I did eat about 75% of a Wopper Jr. the other day. I know fast food is not a good choice, but it is nice to know that I can eat regular foods again. I have coffee for breakfast and do a protein shake for lunch, then have some type of meat and veggies for dinner. I do some carbs and fat once in a while, too. I overdid it and four pieces of deep fried sushi for the meal after my liquid diet and had a bit of low blood sugar afterward. First I have had in years. So not the best choice for after liquid diet. I am watching the fat and the carb intake, but I still have some of both for that dinner meal on a regular basis. I try to keep my calorie intake below 900 on a daily basis, but it will vary from about 800 to 1100 a day. I started out before my surgery before the liquid diet I did for that at 299 pounds. This is week 13, and I have averaged 4.6 pounds per week weight loss. Not to bad. And not to fast, too. Don't want to do that either. My skin is starting to catch up with me again. I would like to avoid the droopy look if I can. I know I will have some though.
My biggest problem was eating meats, though. Have had more than a dozen times of soar and nauseous pouch for an hour or so. And about a handful of times with to many carbs or fat leaving me with a touch of dumping syndrome. I only get the nausea, rapid heart beat and exhaustion feeling. Doesn't give me the diarrhea at all so far, thankfully. Doesn't take much sometimes, as there is no predictable amount of carbs or fats so far. It has varied from very little resulting in dumping to a decent amount with no problem at all. Lots of trial and error, but I roll with it. I eat with more forethought and caution is all. But I feel very comfortable with the after surgery life. I feel so much better and have so much more energy and I can do things I haven't been able to do in years. When I do get up on the treadmill every so often, I can even jog a bit here and there. Whoohoo! Anyways, I have rambled on and on to get to the point that I am so very glad I chose this path! Only thing I would change is I would have done it years ago.
The only real difficulties I have had are I have to be cautious eating meats. Sometimes it is painful to digest, and sometimes it is not. Seems if I eat some sauce with it, it goes down better. And if I make sure I chew, chew, chew till my jaws are tired. Can't be in a hurry anymore and woof it down. Still can't do scrambled or fried eggs, but the poached ones do fine. Don't know what the big diff is, but it is what it is. Eggs used to be my go-to food. I would have at least two to three a day. Now I can't really stand eating them, even if they are poached and go down easy. I just can't eat but a few bites and they don't sound good any more.
I did eat about 75% of a Wopper Jr. the other day. I know fast food is not a good choice, but it is nice to know that I can eat regular foods again. I have coffee for breakfast and do a protein shake for lunch, then have some type of meat and veggies for dinner. I do some carbs and fat once in a while, too. I overdid it and four pieces of deep fried sushi for the meal after my liquid diet and had a bit of low blood sugar afterward. First I have had in years. So not the best choice for after liquid diet. I am watching the fat and the carb intake, but I still have some of both for that dinner meal on a regular basis. I try to keep my calorie intake below 900 on a daily basis, but it will vary from about 800 to 1100 a day. I started out before my surgery before the liquid diet I did for that at 299 pounds. This is week 13, and I have averaged 4.6 pounds per week weight loss. Not to bad. And not to fast, too. Don't want to do that either. My skin is starting to catch up with me again. I would like to avoid the droopy look if I can. I know I will have some though.
My biggest problem was eating meats, though. Have had more than a dozen times of soar and nauseous pouch for an hour or so. And about a handful of times with to many carbs or fat leaving me with a touch of dumping syndrome. I only get the nausea, rapid heart beat and exhaustion feeling. Doesn't give me the diarrhea at all so far, thankfully. Doesn't take much sometimes, as there is no predictable amount of carbs or fats so far. It has varied from very little resulting in dumping to a decent amount with no problem at all. Lots of trial and error, but I roll with it. I eat with more forethought and caution is all. But I feel very comfortable with the after surgery life. I feel so much better and have so much more energy and I can do things I haven't been able to do in years. When I do get up on the treadmill every so often, I can even jog a bit here and there. Whoohoo! Anyways, I have rambled on and on to get to the point that I am so very glad I chose this path! Only thing I would change is I would have done it years ago.
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
As to meat, I have found that I have to chew it really, really well. And I'm more than three years PO..... so chew, chew, chew....
I went out with my partner Val, to Applebee's last week, and ordered off the menu. I had salmon, and measured (by my keen eye, that is trained now, ), my 1 ounce of protein, and then did the same with garlic mashed potatoes, no butter.
I took home a TON of food, but I enjoyed going out to eat, cause we do that once in a while, and enjoy getting out for the evening ,and having a nice meal.
She commented to me, "WOW< I'm just not used to you eating such small portions. I told her I know, and now 2 ounces of food fills me up.
I wish you luck in the coming months, and so glad you're doing well!!
Boo
and.ummmmm...step away from the Wopper!! LOL
JJJJ
Ya, I hear you on the Woppers. Even before surgery I would only eat fast food 2-3 times a year. This occasion was more of a stuck out doing errands on a weekend with only a couple dollars to my name and giving it a try sort of thing. It was just nice to know I could eat ground beef at all, as I hadn't tried it until then. I had heard that it can be troublesome for some people, but I had no problem with it. (Oddly enough beef, whether the ground or steak variety, is the protein I have the least trouble with.) I do not endorse eating fast food on a regular basis, however. I was just sharing some of my most unusual experiences on this journey post surgery.
Jamie
Sounds like you go work planed to get things done and exercise some. I doono what is it like where you are but we've had subzero temps and everything buried n snow. Not much to do outside!
Keep up the good work! Congrats!
Tonya
RNY 11/19/2013