Epilepsy & Seizures Support Group
Epilepsy (often referred to as a seizure disorder) is a chronic neurological condition characterized by recurrent unprovoked seizures. It is commonly controlled with medication, although surgical methods are used as well. Seizures (or convulsions) are temporary abnormal electrophysiologic phenomena of the brain, resulting in abnormal synchronization of electrical neuronal...
dezza13
Hi there,
So I had my first seizure in September 2010. I was on the computer at the time in school and the next thing I knew, I was sitting in an empty classroom with teachers fussing round me. I was on my period at the time. They told me I'd been fitting for around three minutes and frothing at the mouth...I was sent to hospital and they carried out urine tests, an ECG and an EEG, they came back normal so I was left to my own devices.
Before that, and to this day, I have experienced eye rolling. I could just be having a normal conversation and then I would have a vacant episode where my eyes roll upwards and I become unaware of what I am doing. These happen mostly when I am on my period and when I have not had enough sleep.
In April 2011 I stayed round a friends house. We didn't sleep until almost 5 in the morning and we woke very early. When I got home, I remember being in the shower and the next thing I knew I was waking up on my bed thoroughly confused with the shower still on. We put this down to my sleep deprivation and didn't go to the hospital.
In January of this year I had another episode but we can't confirm it was a conclusive fit as nobody was there with me. I was watching television and the next thing I remember I was opening my eyes in front of the fire with a black eye. My boyfriend called me after a while for some reason, I told him I had fainted and he came to take me to the hospital. I was on my period at the time as well. They did an ECG which came back clear, an MRI which came back normal but they did find I had a heart murmur. I was given another EEG and they found traces of epilepsy in my brain patterns. I don't even know what this means. Have I just been diagnosed with epilepsy? Anyway, I think I'm being put on medication.
Before I fit, I usually have an increase of eye rolling and I can't see properly. It feels like my eyes won't focus. After I fit I am very confused and I don't have a clue how I got where I am and why I'm there. I generally have headaches and feel slightly sick. In both the September and January case I was on my period and was somewhat tired and dehydrated.
So there it is, my epilepsy story. I don't really know what to think at the minute. I'm so uncertain and unsure of what's going to happen. Will I be on medication for life and will it stopping me having seizures? Will my condition get worse or improve over time and will I be able to drink alcohol and drive a car? I want to live a normal life but I don't even know how epilepsy is going to affect me. I just feel like I'm always in and out of hospital and nobody has actually told me what is going to happen...I've been given appointments and I don't even know what is going to happen when I go to them...any advice anybody?
Thanks for reading x
So I had my first seizure in September 2010. I was on the computer at the time in school and the next thing I knew, I was sitting in an empty classroom with teachers fussing round me. I was on my period at the time. They told me I'd been fitting for around three minutes and frothing at the mouth...I was sent to hospital and they carried out urine tests, an ECG and an EEG, they came back normal so I was left to my own devices.
Before that, and to this day, I have experienced eye rolling. I could just be having a normal conversation and then I would have a vacant episode where my eyes roll upwards and I become unaware of what I am doing. These happen mostly when I am on my period and when I have not had enough sleep.
In April 2011 I stayed round a friends house. We didn't sleep until almost 5 in the morning and we woke very early. When I got home, I remember being in the shower and the next thing I knew I was waking up on my bed thoroughly confused with the shower still on. We put this down to my sleep deprivation and didn't go to the hospital.
In January of this year I had another episode but we can't confirm it was a conclusive fit as nobody was there with me. I was watching television and the next thing I remember I was opening my eyes in front of the fire with a black eye. My boyfriend called me after a while for some reason, I told him I had fainted and he came to take me to the hospital. I was on my period at the time as well. They did an ECG which came back clear, an MRI which came back normal but they did find I had a heart murmur. I was given another EEG and they found traces of epilepsy in my brain patterns. I don't even know what this means. Have I just been diagnosed with epilepsy? Anyway, I think I'm being put on medication.
Before I fit, I usually have an increase of eye rolling and I can't see properly. It feels like my eyes won't focus. After I fit I am very confused and I don't have a clue how I got where I am and why I'm there. I generally have headaches and feel slightly sick. In both the September and January case I was on my period and was somewhat tired and dehydrated.
So there it is, my epilepsy story. I don't really know what to think at the minute. I'm so uncertain and unsure of what's going to happen. Will I be on medication for life and will it stopping me having seizures? Will my condition get worse or improve over time and will I be able to drink alcohol and drive a car? I want to live a normal life but I don't even know how epilepsy is going to affect me. I just feel like I'm always in and out of hospital and nobody has actually told me what is going to happen...I've been given appointments and I don't even know what is going to happen when I go to them...any advice anybody?
Thanks for reading x
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
One Day at a Time. :) Clik on these green words for More Info about One type of seizure that you mite have, that are caused by hormone imbalances. Catamenial seizures. Start keeping a journal.
Since you have had your tests, your next appt Should be concerning Treatment. I'm assuming you will be seeing a Neurologist? A Heart specialist, too? Questions for your DR: http://www.nomoreseizures.org/
Ask to have Hormones, electrolytes, checked, if not already.
You do have Treatment options that you need to learn about. There are 'alternatives' as well as Meds. http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/
OK, 3 minutes is 'normal' for a 'fit' aka 'episode' . A Normal MRI is Good! No brain tumors, etc. Abnormal EEG Not so good. :( You have had more than 2 'episodes' so, yes, you have Epilepsy. You have a Lot to learn. It may seem overwhelming, but, it really isn't. Lots of people w/ Epilepsy continue to live Fairly 'normal' lives w/ just 'common sense' restrictions. No Driving is for Your safety as well as others'. But, it doesn't mean you will never drive again. Every State has it's own Law, but, 1 YR seizure free (yes, it's possible) is best. Alcohol? Not Recommended. Some say on or 2 beers or glasses of wine. I say, No! Meds & alcohol Don't mix. Epilepsy & Alcohl don't mix. Alcohol can actually lower your seizure threshold. Medicated or Not! It turns to Sugar in your system & an overload of Sugar can Produce Seizures in some people.
My seizures are under control. It took 10 yrs to get that way. But, my Life is 'Normal'. As Normal as I make it. Having Epilepsy is not a Death sentence. It can be Scary. But, w/ time & Patience & Education it can be Managed! It does require 'adjustment' just as Jill said. But, All of Life requires Some readjusting.
Love Candi