Dystonia Support Group
Dystonia (literally, "abnormal muscle tone") is a generic term used to describe a neurological movement disorder involving involuntary, sustained muscle contractions. Dystonia may affect muscles throughout the body, in certain parts of the body, or may be confined to particular muscles or muscle groups.
scuba07
Hi there everyone. I'm new to this site. I have had cervical dystonia for about eight years now. It has slowly been getting worse over the years and it has finally made have to leave school. I was hoping to chat with some people who knows where I'm coming from. I'm also now living the farthest I've ever been from family so things are starting to get tough.
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
" Name A Term Used In Football " ?
-
Is anyone here allergic to Sulfa that is currently taking Diamox? I have been diagnosed with IH now for almost 2 years. I am allergic to Sulfa drugs meaning that my throat will swell up so my Neurologist put me on Topamax. I was suffering from major loud whoosing noises and the topamax helped that but everyday I still hear those mainly between 6 - 12 pm. I am at my wits end and have not went...
I Also Have Cervical Dystonia, Since 1990 Went Through The Botox Injections Got Little Or No Relief, I Was Going To UCLA For All My Treatments, Was Finally Referred To A Neuro-Surgeon, I Chose Then To Go Through The Experimental Surgeries, I Shouldn't Say, ' Kill Or Cure ' But The Pain Was So Terrible, I Put My Life In The Hands Of God And My Surgeons, I Have Since Gone Through 9 Operations, The Pain Before Was Probably A 10 !! Now The Pain Is Generally A 4 Or 5 !!
Yes, I Still Have Bad Days, But I Can Hold My Head Staright, And Live Somewhat Of A Normal Life, Before There Was Never Any NORMAL.
Please Feel Free To Ask Me Anything - Please ?
Love Ya, Barbara
I was also wondering...I see you have children? Do you know if Dystonia is hereditary? I am so afraid that if I one day decide to have children that it may be passed down to them.
Thank you so much for getting back to me and letting me ask a few questions.
Look forward to hearing from you,
Joanna
I haven't had surgery, but I'd like to comment on the heriditary issue that you raised on your post. Both of my children have Tourette's Syndrome, as my mother's brother and several of his children. My doctor strongly believes that a predisposition to movement disorders may be genetic, but at this point I don't think anyone really understands it. I don't know you well, but I truly hope and pray that you will live as full a life as you are able, eventually falling in love, getting married, and having children. My grandparents must have been carriers of any genetic disorder, but of their more than 100 offspring (mother, aunts, uncles and all their children) only 3 of us ended up with a movement disorder. I'd take those odds any day, if I were you. Concentrate on getting better, and then go out and live your life! Blessings to you!
Thank you for the information you've given me. It was very helpful