Depression Support Group
Depression is a real and debilitating condition that is often misunderstood by family and friends. Its meaning can range from a prolonged period of sadness to an actual mental illness with specific symptoms. Find and share experiences with others who are going through the same struggles.
SBoom
I've been dealing with depression for as long as I can remember - at least since late grade school. Anyways, I was diagnosed at age 18 (when I first went off to college and moved out for the first time.. had the worst breakdown I had ever had up til that point) with Major Depressive Disorder. I have never been on meds because I've always felt they were not right for me. For the most part, I have managed quite successfully to cope with my issues without the use of medication. I do a lot of writing, use thought control mechanisms, among other things. I've managed to pull myself through some pretty black times using these methods. But this latest bout is becoming unbearable. It all started last August when I had my heart broken for the first time. I was head over heels in love, positive that I was going to marry this guy.. and out of no where something in him snapped and he became a whole other person, accusing me of horrible things and ruining his life. He ripped my heart out and shit on it. I'm still not over it. Anyways.. I have not been happy since then. It's not JUST the breakup. That was just the beginning. It threw me into a really dark place, and I haven't been able to crawl out. Since then, there have been a number of other things keeping me down, but I think that I would be able to deal just fine with these things if I weren't already in such a dark, negative place in my mind and heart. I've been having a lot of financial difficulty. A lot of minor little things have come up with school that are frustrating. I'm having issues getting the financial aid I need for school. I moved to the other side of the country and it hasn't turned out at all the way I had planned.
Anyways, I don't need to get into everything right now.
The point is that since August when I was thrown into a dark place, I have been unable, regardless of how hard I try, to crawl out of it. I've ALWAYS been able to pull myself out with enough effort. Usually when I get depressed it lasts anywhere from a few days to a couple months. It's never lasted this long. I haven't been happy since August - not once. It's been nothing but pain and suffering and I don't know how much longer I can go on like this. I'm beginning to doubt my ability to deal. I am beginning to doubt that I will be able to pull myself out this time. I don't know what to do.
I've always said meds aren't for me and I don't want them. But lately I have been thinking a lot about it and I think maybe it's time to give them a try, since nothing else seems to be working. I just don't want to become reliant on them. I don't want to be on meds for the rest of my life, or even for any significant amount of time. I just want some help pulling myself through this dark time.
Any advice?
Anyways, I don't need to get into everything right now.
The point is that since August when I was thrown into a dark place, I have been unable, regardless of how hard I try, to crawl out of it. I've ALWAYS been able to pull myself out with enough effort. Usually when I get depressed it lasts anywhere from a few days to a couple months. It's never lasted this long. I haven't been happy since August - not once. It's been nothing but pain and suffering and I don't know how much longer I can go on like this. I'm beginning to doubt my ability to deal. I am beginning to doubt that I will be able to pull myself out this time. I don't know what to do.
I've always said meds aren't for me and I don't want them. But lately I have been thinking a lot about it and I think maybe it's time to give them a try, since nothing else seems to be working. I just don't want to become reliant on them. I don't want to be on meds for the rest of my life, or even for any significant amount of time. I just want some help pulling myself through this dark time.
Any advice?
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
Hope things get better soon.
it sounds like you are an amazing, bright strong person!!! i can understand the dark place in which your breakup took you to, relationships can be very very painful, but you just have to try and learn from the experiences and be kind to yourself.
i can also understand a bit about school as well, my sister just moved away to uni, and there have been that many dramas to do with housing and funding, not to mention just the stress of studying.
i think it would be really good if you sought professional advice, from a doctor and a therapist. there a quite a few different medication out there, and everyone has a different experience with them. before i started taking medication i thought i couldnt deal with life anymore, my parents didnt want me to go on medication, but i just wanted to try anything that would make me feel better. i am on prozac now, and its working really well along with the techniques taught to me by my psychologist. when i am coping better i will be able to go off my meds again :)
but yeah, see a doctor and see what they say, let them know your concerns, and if they suggest a drug, it might just be worth a try, it would be great it it helped you get out of this dark place. if you see a therapist and a doctor they can monitor your progress and teach you techniques so you dont become reliant.
in the meantime is there anything that makes you feel a bit happy? certain movies, places, books, magazines, animals, art , fashion? be kind to yourself, you are a good person and deserve to be happy, you can beat this. keep sharing your thoughts and experiences on here it will really help.
HOPE IS A THING WITH FEATHERS
THAT PERCHES IN THE SOUL
AND SINGS THE TUNE
WITHOUT THE WORDS
AND NEVER STOPS AT ALL....
emily dickinson
take care, you are not alone *hugs* xx