Depression Support Group
Depression is a real and debilitating condition that is often misunderstood by family and friends. Its meaning can range from a prolonged period of sadness to an actual mental illness with specific symptoms. Find and share experiences with others who are going through the same struggles.
crystals83
I have been suffering from clinical depression for about 6 months. I am on an antidepressant but havent reached a therapeutic level yet.
Im wondering why a person who suffers from anxiety and depression has a hard time feeling close to people especially their spouse?
Why/how does depression and anxiety cause sex to seem completely awful? Low libido i guess. It just seems like sex is the last thing a person wants when they are suffering from these illnesses..... Why? Its not my antidepressants making the sex drive low because when it does work i feel really good and actually want sex, but since im not at a therapeutic dose yet the depression is still hanging around.....and when i feel depressed that is when i really dont want it, and dont really want to be around anyone.
Im wondering why a person who suffers from anxiety and depression has a hard time feeling close to people especially their spouse?
Why/how does depression and anxiety cause sex to seem completely awful? Low libido i guess. It just seems like sex is the last thing a person wants when they are suffering from these illnesses..... Why? Its not my antidepressants making the sex drive low because when it does work i feel really good and actually want sex, but since im not at a therapeutic dose yet the depression is still hanging around.....and when i feel depressed that is when i really dont want it, and dont really want to be around anyone.
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
-
71F SunnyIt is weird how the weather starts changing. It's so fascinating. Today is Pantry and we are leaving shortly, so this is short. My son in Georgia that had his car totaled is doing fine except to find a car where he lives in a tiny town and no rides. Since I'm paying there is a financial limit on the cost. Sandra, any plans for the week? Also, there was a question I had about soups and...


The only time I have ever suffered a low libido is when I took Paxil....pretty much wiped it out. After I was off of that, it returned....even at my lowest with my depression, I still had no issues in that department.....sometimes I think I am some sort of mutant lol
I have, however, during my low points with depression, pulled back from people as far as not wanting to talk, socialize, etc.
Hopefully your meds will stabilize soon and you will feel better!
There are many symptoms to depression and anxiety and loosing your sex drive and cutting yourself off from pple, even those closest to you happens.
We isolate ourselves from pple and the world outside.
Depression has you loosing interest in everything and everything becomes such an effort. You get wrapped up in yourself and your own little world.
Feelings are powerful things, but they are not FACTS. For the sake of my partner, I engaged in intimacy. Actually, I did it for myself, but thinking of her and her needs actually helped me get out of "self".
When my feelings told me to stay away from people, I overcame them with the action of finding and being with others. It felt awful, at first, but the sense of "community" returned with the practice.
Recovery from depression, for me, turned out to be a program of action.
Lastly, for ten years or so, I used celexa, effexor, and wellbutrin. Celexa alone worked for about 8 years, then seemed to stop. The addition of wellbutrin seemed to bring back the desired effect; no depression; but even this stopped working over time. I ended up taking wellbutrin and effexor. Finally, a combination of other healthful practices led me to try; under supervision of my physician; a taper off of all the anti depressant and anti anxiety medications. It's been seven months, and no depressive symptoms. I have been in and out of major depression for 50 of my 63 years.
If you drag your body to any activity, and do it with persistance, your mind and feelings will eventually follow. No brag. Just fact.
Sometimes I don't want to deal with her. Don't want to deal with anybody. Feel too much like a beast, I guess. Maybe I feel I don't deserve love, or whatever emotional energy she can muster.
Happily, or not so happily, she feels in the same boat, so our "rythms" are about equal. As low as I feel sometimes, she feels much worse. Her self-esteem is abyssmal. It becomes my task to muster up some love and humor, even when I don't feel like it, to help her feel better, which makes me feel better.