Depression Support Group
Depression is a real and debilitating condition that is often misunderstood by family and friends. Its meaning can range from a prolonged period of sadness to an actual mental illness with specific symptoms. Find and share experiences with others who are going through the same struggles.
MrFlyingBlind
I'm new to this, so I figured I should give a background and apologize for its length. Ever since middle school, I've been trying to overcome depression and social anxiety disorder. I went throughout school without treatment because I never reached a point to where I thought I would actually commit suicide. Granted, I did think about dying and wishing death upon me. In March of 2009, the stress of my job, college, and the loneliness I was feeling at the time fueled my depression to the point where I decided that I should get help. So I went to a psychiatrist, and it was the best decision I've ever made. I first tried Paxil, but I didn't like the side-effects, so I moved to Luvox. Once I started taking Luvox, I noticed a change in my attitude, way of thinking, and personality within a couple of weeks. 2009 turned out to be an awesome year for me. I stopped using my medications when I moved to Tennessee in 2010, and even though I wasn't taking any medications or seeing my psychiatrist anymore I still felt pretty good, albeit the difficulty in socializing started to return. I finished technical school in June 2011, and some close friends and I went our separate ways. Around that time, I took a job at a restaurant. It was difficult to come out of my shell at first, but after a few months I became pretty good friends with my coworkers.
In the months that followed, coworkers came and went. My coworker friends who were still there liked to go out all the time, but I wasn't making enough to go out as much as they would, so I started hanging out with them less and less. The feelings I had in March of 2009 seemed to return in October, so I tried going to another psychiatrist. Unfortunately, I didn't think she was helping and I stopped going in January. She put me on the same medications as I used to be on a couple years back, but they didn't do anything for me this time. Around this time, I was beginning to feel down about not getting anywhere in my career, which is music. I've tried setting up jam sessions and write sessions, but everybody I asked declined. Then, for the first time ever this past January, I seriously considered suicide. I talked to one of my close friends, who, I'm guessing, talked to the managers who then talked to me. They talked me through it, helped set up goals for myself, and introduced me to someone who could better help me. I felt positive and confident about it. Then, three coworkers who were my closest friends, just abandoned me during some pretty traumatic times and left me off on my own trying to handle things. I put a good amount of trust into these people, and they destroyed it. After some other series of events I now find I'm back to square one. Whatever advice I'm given feels like a band-aid. I feel as though I can no longer trust anyone and what anyone has to say. Not only am I afraid of socializing with anyone, I no longer desire to socialize with anyone. I no longer desire to do anything.
I don't want to feel this way. I want to go back to being the confident, silly, fun, young man I used to be. I want to do so without relying on psychiatrists or medications. I just want to go back to living life like I used too.
In the months that followed, coworkers came and went. My coworker friends who were still there liked to go out all the time, but I wasn't making enough to go out as much as they would, so I started hanging out with them less and less. The feelings I had in March of 2009 seemed to return in October, so I tried going to another psychiatrist. Unfortunately, I didn't think she was helping and I stopped going in January. She put me on the same medications as I used to be on a couple years back, but they didn't do anything for me this time. Around this time, I was beginning to feel down about not getting anywhere in my career, which is music. I've tried setting up jam sessions and write sessions, but everybody I asked declined. Then, for the first time ever this past January, I seriously considered suicide. I talked to one of my close friends, who, I'm guessing, talked to the managers who then talked to me. They talked me through it, helped set up goals for myself, and introduced me to someone who could better help me. I felt positive and confident about it. Then, three coworkers who were my closest friends, just abandoned me during some pretty traumatic times and left me off on my own trying to handle things. I put a good amount of trust into these people, and they destroyed it. After some other series of events I now find I'm back to square one. Whatever advice I'm given feels like a band-aid. I feel as though I can no longer trust anyone and what anyone has to say. Not only am I afraid of socializing with anyone, I no longer desire to socialize with anyone. I no longer desire to do anything.
I don't want to feel this way. I want to go back to being the confident, silly, fun, young man I used to be. I want to do so without relying on psychiatrists or medications. I just want to go back to living life like I used too.
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
As far as all advice feeling like a bandaid--well in some ways it is. It's not going to cure the problem but it does help it heal sometimes.
For most of us depression is not something that will ever be completely cured. But we can feel better and even feel good for long periods of time! So its worth it to work though it all the way! It really is!
However I remember early in this journey I would want to believe my depression was gone never to return and then I would be crushed when I started feeling bad again. I've learned through the years though to handle it better and not to feel so defeated if it comes back and I am now for the most part much more balanced.