Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) Support Group
Deep-vein thrombosis, also known as deep-venous thrombosis or DVT, is the formation of a blood clot ("thrombus") in a deep vein. It can be caused by something preventing blood from circulating or clotting normally. Join the support group if you are coping with DVT and find others who are going through the same challenges.
mizkytee
HAS ANYONE HERE HAD TO DEAL WITH A MASSIVE CLOT IN THE INFERIOR VENA CAVA? MY HUSBAND DEVELOPED A HUGE (APPROX 10" INCHES) ONE DUE TO COMBINATION OF INACTIVITY AND CLOTTING DISORDER. HE IS ON BLOOD THINNERS NOW FOR ABOUT 1 1/2 MONTHS. AT FIRST THE DOCTORS SAID THEY WERE GOING TO TREAT WITH JUST THINNERS. NOW THE CARDIOLOGIST WANTS TO REMOVE IT WHICH MEANS MY HUSBAND WOULD BE PUT ON A HEART/LUNG MACHINE DURING THE SURGERY. I AM SUSPICIOUS AS TO WHY HE WANTS TO REMOVE NOW WHEN AT FIRST HE SAID HE WOULD NOT. ANY ONE EVER GO THROUGH THIS?
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
Nationalday.com proclaims September 28th as Self Aware Day. I took a few snaps of various core values lists and tried to pick my top five core values (kinda hard to only pick 5). But here are my top picks. Feel free to list a few of yours too:GodLovePeaceStability Compassion
-
Now that I am not talking to my whatever best friend, I realized that her life is full of drama. I had grown tired of hearing her stories about her boyfriend many months ago. She basically had been monopolizing conversations for that long too. She pretty much stopped asking me questions about me. I passed her in front of her classroom the other day and didn't even look at her. I am...

If his reasons sound suspicious, get a second opinion
This sounds like a very serious surgery ,,,,,in my life I learned to get a second and even third opinion on something like this even with my very Good doc she encouraged me to seek out other opinions if I wished too but always added she may not agree with them
still its my life and in this case your husband's life we are talking about here so if surgery is the thing I sure would seek out other medical opinions .....our life very worth second and even third opinions
just saying
Bear in Cincinnati
I would expect that since this is a surgery which is a really big deal, the doctor must have very good reason for wanting to do it. But I agree that you need to really question the doctor about his process behind the recommendations: what made him not want to do surgery in the beginning? What changed his mind? What are the risks and benefits to doing it? What are the risks and benefits to not doing it? At the end of the day, you and your husband will have to weigh all of that information and decide what you feel more comfortable with.
The first time that I had blood clots I was in a crisis with huge clots and pulmonary embolism and needed to decide what treatments to accept. And I didn't have time to consult multiple opinions, it all needed to be decided very quickly. But I went through the process I described above, asking my doctors the questions about why they felt certain procedures needed to be done and what would be the consequences and risks of either decision, and it allowed me to feel that I was in control of what was happening, and I felt good about the decisions I made. If you do have the time to get other opinions, then yes I would say by all means seek those out to get as much professional opinion and information as possible. But if you can't do that, then just learn as much as you can before either moving forward with surgery or rejecting surgery. It's not to say it will make the decision easy, but at least you know you did your best to make the best decision together, and you went in with your eyes open, whichever way you decide to go.
I'm so sorry that you and your husband are going through this, and I hope that all will turn out for the best, whatever your decision. And please let us know what you decide and how he's doing.
I have had a clot that big, but it was only as high as my iliac.