Crohn's Disease & Ulcerative Colitis Support Group
Crohn's disease is a systemic inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) of unknown cause, that results in chronic inflammation of the intestinal tract. It can affect the entire gastrointestinal tract from mouth to anus, and can also cause complications outside of the gastrointestinal tract. There is no known medical or surgical cure for Crohn's disease, but there are many medical...
Jaimie-Rosenberg
Hello all,
My name is Jaimie and as I am new to the board I am certainly not new to Crohn's Disease! I was diagnosed with CD at the age of 13 and this October that will have been 11 years ago. What's kind of sad is that I've had this disease for so long, but still feel like I don't know what I'm doing...I've been fortunate to be in remission for many years since my diagnosis but the past two have definitely been a challenge as I seem to flare up quite frequently, and each one seems to be getting progressively worse. My biggest complaint with having CD has always been the pain. I can handle all the rest, but the pain is agonizing. I read a previous post on here about this but I wanted to extend the discussion by asking, what does a typical diet for you consist of during a flare? It seems that the only time I'm not in pain is when I don't eat. But even as I watch my diet and eat soft, bland foods I still find myself in PAIN. I'm currently on Pentasa and Entocort and I'm starting to wonder if they are working anymore...the current flare I am in has been weighing me down emotionally to a level I have never experienced so I was very glad to find this group in hopes of others being able to relate!! Thanks in advance guys. ;)
My name is Jaimie and as I am new to the board I am certainly not new to Crohn's Disease! I was diagnosed with CD at the age of 13 and this October that will have been 11 years ago. What's kind of sad is that I've had this disease for so long, but still feel like I don't know what I'm doing...I've been fortunate to be in remission for many years since my diagnosis but the past two have definitely been a challenge as I seem to flare up quite frequently, and each one seems to be getting progressively worse. My biggest complaint with having CD has always been the pain. I can handle all the rest, but the pain is agonizing. I read a previous post on here about this but I wanted to extend the discussion by asking, what does a typical diet for you consist of during a flare? It seems that the only time I'm not in pain is when I don't eat. But even as I watch my diet and eat soft, bland foods I still find myself in PAIN. I'm currently on Pentasa and Entocort and I'm starting to wonder if they are working anymore...the current flare I am in has been weighing me down emotionally to a level I have never experienced so I was very glad to find this group in hopes of others being able to relate!! Thanks in advance guys. ;)
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
This isn't really bipolar related but there is never anyone on the parenting groups, this is the most active group I've been in.My 6yr old son has really bad seasonal allergies and they're in full force right now. He gets a terrible cough; he coughs all day and all night, making it hard for him to sleep, and his nose runs.I've tried every allergy medicine, OTC and RX, and none of them affect his...
-
Is anyone here allergic to Sulfa that is currently taking Diamox? I have been diagnosed with IH now for almost 2 years. I am allergic to Sulfa drugs meaning that my throat will swell up so my Neurologist put me on Topamax. I was suffering from major loud whoosing noises and the topamax helped that but everyday I still hear those mainly between 6 - 12 pm. I am at my wits end and have not went...
here I have found very helpful as I've only been a member for a few days. Yes the PAIN does suck along with all the rest. That's my biggest gripe too. It helps just to put the words on paper here for me any way. Not to mention some good mojo from everybody. Look you can even give a hug...not bad.
I have UC, but I can tell you what I eat during a flare. I usually eat chicken noodle soup, lots of water, plain pasta with hardly any sauce, I stay away from dairy, I stay away from wheat, I don't eat anything with a lot of sugar. Bananas are my best friend. I drink juices, but not ones that have a lot of sugar. I drink soy milk instead of regular milk. I'll have cereal every morning with soy milk, but it's very plain cereal, like the Rice Krispies. I have boiled plain carrots or potatoes. I"ll have regular roasted plain chicken or turkey with nothing on it, very dry. Plain white rice is great too.
JN4025 - The dreaded liquid diet...it scares me to think that may be my best option at this point. And then I have to ask, at what point are you able to eat solid foods again?
Guppy12 - Unfortunately right now I can't eat most of the foods you mentioned, but I haven't considered the probiotic option yet!! Let me know how that works for you :)
Another general question: If the pain from CD is because food is having trouble passing through the intestine because of inflammation, what causes pain from things such as spices, sauces and dairy? I feel like the obvious assumption would be to just eat soft foods, but if that soft food happens to have cheese or is milk based it can totally screw us up. I can't seem to find this answer anywhere. Maybe there isn't one?
-Jaimie
I think the dairy thing might have something to do with pH, but not positive on this one.
Best wishes for your health.
L