Colon Cancer Support Group
Colorectal cancer, also called colon cancer or bowel cancer, includes cancerous growths in the colon, rectum and appendix. Many colorectal cancers are thought to arise from mushroom-like growths that are usually benign, but some may develop into cancer over time. The majority of the time, the diagnosis of localized colon cancer is through colonoscopy.
inojack
During a recent hospital visit I met a handsome, athletic 27 year old male, "Jason".
He is sooo distressed after having a colostomy about eight weeks ago. He has a therapist, a nurse or visitor with him almost 24/7 (almost a suicide watch). He can't deal with the mechanics of the bag changing and cleaning process at all, he eats very little, his idea being if he doesn't put it in it doesn't have to come out.
His fiancee is about to dump him too.
I can't fix any of this but what can I say?
Anything? Nothing?
Thank You
He is sooo distressed after having a colostomy about eight weeks ago. He has a therapist, a nurse or visitor with him almost 24/7 (almost a suicide watch). He can't deal with the mechanics of the bag changing and cleaning process at all, he eats very little, his idea being if he doesn't put it in it doesn't have to come out.
His fiancee is about to dump him too.
I can't fix any of this but what can I say?
Anything? Nothing?
Thank You
deleted_user
Am sorry to hear about the horrid time Jason is having. People will all take things differently and when part of the body's natural flow changes, it can be a little of a shock. The Colostony nurses should be aware of his resistance as they are the best and most sympathetic to the different feelings and issues that can occur. But from a friend standpoint, I think he sounds like he just needs a very friendly shoulder and perhaps some loving reassurance that actually he is lucky have had an op that may save his life. We are all the owners of our own destinies, and I truly hope that you will be able to boost his confidence that this change in his life needs to not hinder him in his future dreams. Good luck and loving thoughts.
deleted_user
Just be there for him. A colostomy can be a very humiliating and humbling experience. He needs time to adjust and right now all you can do is listen to him and support him. Good luck...
koolman
Are you falling in love with him-?
Join the Conversation
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...