Colon Cancer Support Group

Colorectal cancer, also called colon cancer or bowel cancer, includes cancerous growths in the colon, rectum and appendix. Many colorectal cancers are thought to arise from mushroom-like growths that are usually benign, but some may develop into cancer over time. The majority of the time, the diagnosis of localized colon cancer is through colonoscopy.

0 Online

6 to 18?

My father had colorectal cancer back in 2014... went thru 2 rounds of chemo, 2 rounds of radiation, surgery to remove part of his colon, etc. He was doing fantastic after the surgery and went into remission. About a year ago they found some spots on his lung scans which were extremely small and couldn't even do a biopsy on it plus all his tests were still coming back great. He had another appointment with his doctor 3 weeks ago and his doctor looked over his catscan he had done as well as did a check up and his doctor said he looks and sounds great and he's doing great overall. 

Today... 3 weeks later... we got a call from the doctor (he does inhouse testing as well but only takes about 2 to 3 days to get back the tests) saying he must get a catscan ASAP because his levels went from 6 to 18. What does that mean? Is he really sick? The doctor had mentioned he doesn't exactly know if he has cancer again?... and then I dont understand why he is telling us this 3 weeks later? Any ideas? 

I am so worried about this as well as my dad and mom obiviously. I am trying to be positive because my dad looks MUCH better and his weight is staying stable and has no signs that anything is wrong other than the test.  

Replies

yorman1
yorman1

The 6-18 is most likely the PSA number.. You can google it and get the info your looking for. In many cases it isn't a good marker because it can fluctuate so much....The PSA is done by blood work and not a CT scan. CT scans sound good so I would not worry to much..let us know results..Ron
yorman1
yorman1

I'm sorry I should have said CEA test PSA is for prostate.... I get both test done. You can google CEA it checks the protein levels..... Good luck..God bless
melissa2487
melissa2487

Thank you for that information. It really helps! I really hope the 18 number does not mean much.
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • Ladybug7

Update about Mary

Hi everyone!  As of yesterday evening, Mary was out of the ICU and in a regular hospital room.  She is sleeping a lot.  Doctors are trying to determine how well her kidneys are functioning.  She is definitely doing better, but still needs our prayers.  Thanks!
  • Ladybug7

Prayers for Mary

Mary is currently intubated in the ICU, due to her lungs filling with fluid.  She is currently being kept under sedation and is completely reliant upon a ventilator in order to breathe.  Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers today.  Thanks!