Cleft Lip / Palate Support Group
Cleft is a congenital deformity caused by a failure in facial development during gestation. It can be treated with surgery shortly after birth with highly successful results. Cleft occurs in somewhere between one in 600 and one in 800 births. Cleft occurs in several severities and is divided in two major categories: cleft lip and cleft palate.
JonSnyder
Hey folks.. been awhile since I had much to say, but i thought I'd let you know I'm having surgery through the military on Thursday. They're going to narrow the outside of my nose, maybe widen the inside depending on how it looks, and revise the scars from the abbe flap fifteen years ago. The Navy career is going well; I was recently named as Junior Sailor of the Quarter. I still don't plan to re-enlist, but in the process of meeting with my surgeon I learned that there are social work officers who work with their monthly clinic, which is what I wanted to do on the outside. So there is a chance I may be trying to go officer.. we'll see..
I'll let you know how things turn out. They said recovery time should be relatively mild; two weeks convalescent leave and four weeks no strenuous exercise. I'll just be hanging out for awhile in house slippers watching my cat chase a laser pointer.
I'll let you know how things turn out. They said recovery time should be relatively mild; two weeks convalescent leave and four weeks no strenuous exercise. I'll just be hanging out for awhile in house slippers watching my cat chase a laser pointer.
miller23
Good luck John, hope you get a good result and benefit from it. keep us posted on how you get on. cheers
deleted_user
Good luck with your surgery!! Hope everything turns out well!
JonSnyder
Well, the doctors all said the surgery went really well. My upper lip is definitely improved in terms of symmetry. My whole nose is really swollen though, and they said it won't completely go down for 3 to 12 months. I'm hoping the septum on the lower part, especially, settles down. It was really swollen yesterday but seems to be better today.
miller23
That's good news man. How long are you resting for?
barbieO
All the best for a speedy and good recovery and outcome. Swelling is a bummer and it does take awhile. They did a lot of work in there all at once! Pain okay?
deleted_user
Glad it went ok.
Join the Conversation
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...