Anxiety Support Group
Anxiety is a physical condition marked by intense and persistent feelings of distress, fear, angst or dread. General anxiety caused by routine day-to-day stresses usually passes quickly and is experienced by almost everyone at one time or another. However, such feelings that linger over time and are very difficult to cope with, and which lack a clear cause, may indicate...
rwmorey
Hi Everyone --
I have been on Daily Strength for a while as I am trying to stop drinking. However, I thought I would join this group for support with my anxiety.
I started having anxiety attacks in 2003 and through medication and therapy I was able to get them under control. From 2006 - 2010 I was doing really well - on medication but able to travel. My wife and I went to California for our honeymoon in 2009 so I flew, etc.
However in 2010 my Dad got sick and my anxiety started to increase. I eventually changed meds to what I"m on now - Effexor. When my Dad passed away in January of 2014 my anxiety (and my drinking) got really bad.
But through a new therapist and my attempts to stop drinking my anxiety has improved and I was able to run a NYC subway this past weekend for the first time since 2011.
I'm also looking into starting an anxiety support group in my home town even though I still go to therapy every week.
Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself .
Rich
I have been on Daily Strength for a while as I am trying to stop drinking. However, I thought I would join this group for support with my anxiety.
I started having anxiety attacks in 2003 and through medication and therapy I was able to get them under control. From 2006 - 2010 I was doing really well - on medication but able to travel. My wife and I went to California for our honeymoon in 2009 so I flew, etc.
However in 2010 my Dad got sick and my anxiety started to increase. I eventually changed meds to what I"m on now - Effexor. When my Dad passed away in January of 2014 my anxiety (and my drinking) got really bad.
But through a new therapist and my attempts to stop drinking my anxiety has improved and I was able to run a NYC subway this past weekend for the first time since 2011.
I'm also looking into starting an anxiety support group in my home town even though I still go to therapy every week.
Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself .
Rich
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
Hello- I am new to the group
-
My therapist really knocked some sense into me last Friday about my spending. She said that there are needs and there are wants. She said that there is always going to be cheap stuff to buy, but do I need it? The answer is mostly "no". So today, I am taking back some things that I bought online at Kohl's, namely a 9 x 12 rug and a quilt for my bed. I also bought sheets that I don't need...
Good for you to continue with your therapy and to know you're making a path to your better well-being!
Cheers for being able to realize some goals!
With anxiety, it's learning how your natural levels are yours, so knowing when, how, what, who, why, where, sets them into motion makes it easier to balance motion to fit your in the moment need.
Sorry for your loss.
There are often times we can do what we fear without the fear because we're so busy focusing in the moment that we push through without any notice. Here's to your moment of calm!
Anxiety is awful, but support groups and meds can help.
I used to be an alcoholic as well, much acerbated by the death of my wife. A death can do that. Glad you have a good therapist, I know mine has helped me so much.
Best of luck stopping drinking. I know it's a battle but it' a battle that you can win.