Anemia Support Group
Anemia (or anaemia), which literally means "without blood," is a deficiency of red blood cells and/or hemoglobin. This results in a reduced ability of blood to transfer oxygen to the tissues, and this causes hypoxia; since all human cells depend on oxygen for survival, varying degrees of anemia can have a wide range of clinical consequences.
morrj27
Hi All,
I am new to the anemia discussion board. I am a 49 year old female. I was recently diagnosed with iron deficient anemia. My hemoglobin was 9.1 and my iron level is 27. My doctor told me not to take iron supplements until they find out what is causing the anemia. I am feeling really terrible and think the iron might help. I have also been taking Prozac or many years and am questioning if this could have caused the anemia. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I am new to the anemia discussion board. I am a 49 year old female. I was recently diagnosed with iron deficient anemia. My hemoglobin was 9.1 and my iron level is 27. My doctor told me not to take iron supplements until they find out what is causing the anemia. I am feeling really terrible and think the iron might help. I have also been taking Prozac or many years and am questioning if this could have caused the anemia. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
deleted_user
I know it sounds counterintuitive but hold off on the iron until testing is complete. The treatment will vary depending on the underlying cause. You will save yourself grief later
Caroline04
I can only tell you this from my own experience. I saw a hematologist for a more than a couple years and could not get a definitive diagnosis. This was while I was seeing a gastroenterologist. If I had not been taking iron, b-12 and folic acid, I may not have survived! I finally saw a doctor outside my area, from a teaching hospital who gave me an answer within 2 weeks! So, I would suggest listening to your doctor for a reasonable period of time then I would look for another if he or she is unable to diagnose. I felt my worse when my hemoglobin dropped below 9. I regret wasting so much time with the first two doctors, all the invasive testing, pain and expense! Feeling crappy all the time so they could make money? Good luck, hope they can figure things out for you very soon!
Join the Conversation
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...