Amputees Support Group
Amputation is the removal of a body extremity by trauma or surgery. Many have undergone amputation or have been living with a missing limb since birth. In either case, life as an amputee can be challenging. This is the place to find others going through the same experiences as an amputee. Share your thoughts, troubles, and solutions with the community.
I have no physical impairments, the leh is better then the one I had, no pain.
Mental Trails I have none I know I'm not this body, it just gets me around, I am that, I am!
I love my body and my life, it is only a choise if we want to be happy or have a bad day, I choose a good day every day.
Bharata
#1Becoming an amputee - Mine was due to trauma so the transition was quite abrupt (and difficult to assimilate). The first time I saw my stump I was traumatized all over again. I never had the chance to come to grips with the fact that I was going to lose my leg; one day it was there and the next it was gone.
#2 Physical Impairments - It took me nearly 5 months to get back to doing most of the things that I used to do pre-amputation. Having an "I can do it" attitude allowed me to adapt. I returned to work as an RN in a busy ER 6 months to the day following the loss of my leg (within 30 days of my loss I was swimming in the Pacific Ocean and dancing with my sweety). Maybe it's training. . .we, as nurses, are trained to maximize the positive and minimize the negative. Overall, the only thing that I can think of (being an amputee of less than 1 year) that I cannot do is hula. . .I cannot point my toe or "duck walk" and can't see how I ever will. . .won't stop me from trying though!
#3 - Mental Trials - ok, here is the category that has true meaning. . .Even after all this time I still have issues with body image, and occasional disbelief that I'm an "amputee." Sometimes I stare at my stump and still can't believe that my foot is gone. I still have some issues with having my mate see my stump and often try to hide it under the covers while he's still brushing his teeth. I get VERY uncomfortable when he kisses it to show me that he's accepted it as a new part of me. . .he says that he fell in love with me, not my leg. . .it's a nice thing to say but it still causes me some grief. . .maybe that I'm not "whole" any longer. . .I don't know. It's frustrating that I cannot do some of the things that I used to enjoy. . .again, hula was a HUGE part of who I was/am and to think that I can no longer dance still chokes me up sometimes. I'm sure that one day I'll have to pay the piper but for now when I find myself beginning to dwell on the fact that I am less than I once was I push the thought away and think of something else. I also have self image issues when meeting new people. Try getting a date when you only have one leg. . .not that I'm in the market, but just think about how you'd feel if you only had one leg and were trying to enter the dating pool. I've had some friends express their frustration in trying to meet new people. Many of the amputees with whom I have spoken have expressed the sentiment that they feel that they are less than they once were. I, personally, believe that if they feel that way they should work on their personality and make that the foci instead of their body. After all, all bodies wither, sag, and go south with time and what are you left with? (Hopefully) The mind.
I hope that I have, in some way, answered the questions that you've postulated.
Thanks again,
Dalcowcraig