Alcoholism Support Group
Alcoholism is the continued consumption of alcoholic beverages, even when it is negatively affecting your health, work, relationships and life. If you think alcohol is causing you to lose control, it's time to seek help. Our group is a safe place to vent, check in, get back up if you fall, and reach sobriety.
okiyoe1
January 29
The Search for Myself
All the music I write is a search for myself.
Bruce Hornsby
While writing my first book, I came upon a Buddhist text in which the author confessed, I have no pretension that I am writing this book for any purpose other than my own awakening. His candor struck a chord deep within me as I realized that I, too, write primarily for the healing of my own mind and spirit. Since then, I have spoken to countless creative artists who agree that even if no one else ever read their books, saw their paintings, or listened to their music, all of their efforts would be worth the sheer joy of producing the work.
For whom are your creative efforts directed? Do you write, sing, or dance for worldly approval, or are you hearkening to the inner writer, singer, or dancer calling to express and celebrate?
We teach what we need to learn. Sometimes teachers are reluctant to admit that they need to study what they are teaching, but that is the very reason we are in a particular position. In college, I learned a famous relaxation technique developed by a renowned psychologist. My friend met the man and described him as one of the most uptight people I have ever met. Was he a hypocrite? Not necessarily. If you teach what you have mastered, even while youre learning more, you are in integrity. The technique this man developed for his own healing helped many people who applied it.
Your right place is the one in which you are receiving the most edification. The fact that other people receive a benefit is the icing on the cake. Do what is healing to your spirit, and without effort you will offer the world healing in return.
Direct me to the work that will feed my soul,
that I may feed others.
I do what I love, and the world loves
what I do.
A Deep Breath of Life, Alan Cohen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAszm3FRVDw&feature=related
The Search for Myself
All the music I write is a search for myself.
Bruce Hornsby
While writing my first book, I came upon a Buddhist text in which the author confessed, I have no pretension that I am writing this book for any purpose other than my own awakening. His candor struck a chord deep within me as I realized that I, too, write primarily for the healing of my own mind and spirit. Since then, I have spoken to countless creative artists who agree that even if no one else ever read their books, saw their paintings, or listened to their music, all of their efforts would be worth the sheer joy of producing the work.
For whom are your creative efforts directed? Do you write, sing, or dance for worldly approval, or are you hearkening to the inner writer, singer, or dancer calling to express and celebrate?
We teach what we need to learn. Sometimes teachers are reluctant to admit that they need to study what they are teaching, but that is the very reason we are in a particular position. In college, I learned a famous relaxation technique developed by a renowned psychologist. My friend met the man and described him as one of the most uptight people I have ever met. Was he a hypocrite? Not necessarily. If you teach what you have mastered, even while youre learning more, you are in integrity. The technique this man developed for his own healing helped many people who applied it.
Your right place is the one in which you are receiving the most edification. The fact that other people receive a benefit is the icing on the cake. Do what is healing to your spirit, and without effort you will offer the world healing in return.
Direct me to the work that will feed my soul,
that I may feed others.
I do what I love, and the world loves
what I do.
A Deep Breath of Life, Alan Cohen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAszm3FRVDw&feature=related
deleted_user
Okiyoe1, I appreciate this comment. I too am focused on a deeper meaning and have initiated an effort toward acquiring enlightenment and transcending to another plane of existence. I am a retired professinal in the field of addictions and have been sober for 30 years. I spent 33 years of my life helping others however as you noted the help that others received was a by-product as the primary goal was "me" and my reccovry effort. To thy ownself be true for their is nothing secondary if I am not at peace with myself. Without my sobriety I have nothing. Thanks, Allen82
deleted_user
Beautiful!
Join the Conversation
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...