Alcoholism Support Group
Alcoholism is the continued consumption of alcoholic beverages, even when it is negatively affecting your health, work, relationships and life. If you think alcohol is causing you to lose control, it's time to seek help. Our group is a safe place to vent, check in, get back up if you fall, and reach sobriety.
Loved1
I went to an AA sobriety birthday party today. Dick is 93 years old, goes to meetings daily, and turned 59 years sober today. I feel so blessed to know this man.
He reminds us of the importance of sticking in the meetings where we find people like us we belong with, those who are alcoholic, but for the most part are no longer drinking. He said birds of a feather flock together.
He talks about the importance of forgiveness and how resentment is the number one offender of alcoholics. He says to forgive others for the resentment we have of them, that it frees us, because the resentment doesn't even hurt the other person, but we feel the pain. He said to forgive and get the resentment out of your mind, and even try doing something nice for the person, because you can't do an act of kind service and feel resentment at the same time.
He reminds us of the importance of being there for the newcomer who may not even know if they are an alcoholic or if they belong in AA, because if it weren't for those people he would have never been here. He was 12 stepped and because of that, he found a place he belonged that could give him a new, good life.
He praised a young man of only 14 years old, who has 29 days sober today. Imagine how different life would have been had I gone to AA at 14, and for some reason, took an interest in the program. That's what happens. We find ourselves in AA and we take an interest in the program, and if we stay and do the work, life can be better than our wildest dreams. I'd already been drinking alcoholically at 13. This youngster made a homemade birthday card for Dick, and you could see how much he admires and appreciates this man. Dick said if we stay sober that first year, that we'll be glad we did.
I get so much inspiration from the oldtimers, because they remind me that if I don't take a drink, I may gain some strength to be able to pass on to someone else someday. And we only have to stay sober today. I am really grateful for AA and what it has done in our lives.
He reminds us of the importance of sticking in the meetings where we find people like us we belong with, those who are alcoholic, but for the most part are no longer drinking. He said birds of a feather flock together.
He talks about the importance of forgiveness and how resentment is the number one offender of alcoholics. He says to forgive others for the resentment we have of them, that it frees us, because the resentment doesn't even hurt the other person, but we feel the pain. He said to forgive and get the resentment out of your mind, and even try doing something nice for the person, because you can't do an act of kind service and feel resentment at the same time.
He reminds us of the importance of being there for the newcomer who may not even know if they are an alcoholic or if they belong in AA, because if it weren't for those people he would have never been here. He was 12 stepped and because of that, he found a place he belonged that could give him a new, good life.
He praised a young man of only 14 years old, who has 29 days sober today. Imagine how different life would have been had I gone to AA at 14, and for some reason, took an interest in the program. That's what happens. We find ourselves in AA and we take an interest in the program, and if we stay and do the work, life can be better than our wildest dreams. I'd already been drinking alcoholically at 13. This youngster made a homemade birthday card for Dick, and you could see how much he admires and appreciates this man. Dick said if we stay sober that first year, that we'll be glad we did.
I get so much inspiration from the oldtimers, because they remind me that if I don't take a drink, I may gain some strength to be able to pass on to someone else someday. And we only have to stay sober today. I am really grateful for AA and what it has done in our lives.
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
Last Monday at my home group there was a guy who had been sober since 1965 and it amazed me that he still goes to meetings but, as we all know, he needs too! Service is a great thing.
The greatest message I got from him...keep it simple! I think 'modern AA' can get a bit complicated/religious/political at times but I loved his down to earth chair.
This guy set up half the meetings in my area and it was great to hear him. You are so right when you say the old timers are precious to us.